Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

conversion of dbase III plus / clipper files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

conversion of dbase III plus / clipper files

I have been developing in Clipper and dBase III files with a large system that I will need to rewrite for point of sale and inventory control etc.

Are there any tips on my upgrade path and is there any help utiltlies to convert my dBaseIII plus data files to Alpha V formats ?

Re: conversion of dbase III plus / clipper files

Hi Sandy,

Welcome to the Alpha forum.

How large is your existing system? All data can be imported into Alpha, the question is, will you want dbf or sql? Either way all layouts will have to be rebuilt on those back ends.

At this point I think you would need to ask for help on specific points as you need it with your conversion.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Possibly no conversion is necessary. Excel up to 2003 allows you to open dbaseIII files and save them as dbfIV. Alpha can use those dbfIV files natively.
      There can be only one.

Comment

About the only thing you can bring forward is the data/dbf files. As Stan said before.

Welcome to the forum and alpha. I did clipper many(maybe 20 years ago ). I was on clipper 87. You will enjoy alpa immensly!

Correct me if I am wrong, but did'nt clipper wind up with a large company and finally to another large company(maybe CA?)? One of the companies I worked for made all the transitions and changed the tables, code and everything over. Thank goodness I was gone by then.

Most of the terminology is a bit different and where clipper was one off of c, alpha is 2 off c as best I can determine. It is written in c++.

Any help that you need, we will all try to help.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Yes absolutely correct. CA Clipper was the next compiled exe creator from C. Thanks in advance for help.

Comment

I was hoping there was an easier transition path for existing customer that may not have Excel etc thanks. This would have to run unattended without me having to hand hold for hundreds of customer scattered all over.

Comment

thanks fir the welcome ! Our system has about 180 dbfs some with memo fields and some without. The number of records can be up to 200,000. Is there a function in Alpha 5 that can be compiled into an executable that would simply be point and click ?

Comment

Sandy
                I am gradually re-writing.. adding modules not yet existing.. and replacing others - on top of a fully multi tasking integrated business and accounts system - all developed and still running - in S87
                Without much trouble , and whilst up to 20 concurrent seats operating in that system, I have some new Alpha systems running live and in some cases (where not writing) real-time and others making regular updates. The Clipper system has to be fully file and record lock enabled and set re-indexing has to be used in A5. Only the DBFs themselves are usable. But still a big YAY! for Alpha. I tried other offerings, many, over many years before this.
                My users have minor inconveniences that are made clear through messaging in both systems at critical times. The conversion process is certainly smoother than a scheduled major shutdown and restart in a new untried complete system.
                There is no general rule, each operation is assessed differently.
                Knowing the system design of both is key.
                I started on this about the date I signed up here and other than NEW A5 systems I developed that have gone in to new clients, only over the last year have I actually been accomplished enough to put working A5 systems on top of Clipper - its a long and cautious road for complete newcomers is what I am saying. But very empowering.

Comment

Is there a function in Alpha 5 that can be compiled into an executable that would simply be point and click
                  I am so sorry Sandy, there is nothing in alpha that is made into an exe file. There are always other ways to do things though.

I start my apps with an executable that I made(it is in the code archive), but it does no actual work on data.

I could make a suggestion that starting with a few tables that make up a set(alpha term) and transitioning over may be a bit easier. You would also get more accustomed to the ways of alpha.

I know you know how to write a function, and you can do so in alpha. It has made my life better too.

Clipper used dbf tables early on from dbase 2 and then dbase 3 if I remember. and I am not so sure the tables won't open in alpha. the memos won't, but some work could make it easier(I think).

One other thought: I will preface with: I don't know what other programming tools you have.

You could possibly create a change over from db3 to excel to alpha dbf or on the web, there may be a changeover operation from db3 to foxpro0 which is what alpha uses.

You might look here: http://www.4shared.net/dbf+convert
                  I have not run this.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                    I am so sorry Sandy, there is nothing in alpha that is made into an exe file. There are always other ways to do things though.

I start my apps with an executable that I made(it is in the code archive), but it does no actual work on data.

I could make a suggestion that starting with a few tables that make up a set(alpha term) and transitioning over may be a bit easier. You would also get more accustomed to the ways of alpha.

I know you know how to write a function, and you can do so in alpha. It has made my life better too.

Clipper used dbf tables early on from dbase 2 and then dbase 3 if I remember. and I am not so sure the tables won't open in alpha. the memos won't, but some work could make it easier(I think).

One other thought: I will preface with: I don't know what other programming tools you have.

You could possibly create a change over from db3 to excel to alpha dbf or on the web, there may be a changeover operation from db3 to foxpro0 which is what alpha uses.

You might look here: http://www.4shared.net/dbf+convert
                    I have not run this.
                    Thanks I will try it and thanks for the tips !

Comment

very cool !

I also have complete record locking and file locking etc, so it sounds very similar.

May I ask which Alpha products you are using ?

You have given me inspiration and hope ! thanks

Comment

I am currently on version 10.5. I have desktop, unlimited runtime and the was. I am one of the desktop mostly people here.

There are some real smart people on here that will be happy to help at about every step.

I have found out that a search of the forum, wiki and a google search can really help with this.

I started using alpha in the late 80's when I needed to make an app in 1 month and I knew I could not do that in clipper so quickly. It took me a week in alpha. I still sold it for the same price I would have if done in clipper at 3 months work. Alpha is a RAD developement tool using dbf or most any kind of tables/db's.

You do know you can use sql with alpha and it is not hard to move dbf to sql either.
                        Last edited by DaveM; 06-15-2012, 05:29 PM.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

'm FREELANCER, Computer Technician Area of System Analysis and Programming
                          With experience of more than 20 years I make software development - databases - as for local networks and web.
                          Website development platform integration with Joomla database, (specific programs - from catalogs, management programs, with varying levels of access per user).

I convert applications Dbase / Clipper for Visual dBase (www.dbase.com) with use of 100% of the data because the tables are compatible DBFs despite the Visual DBase tables are already level 7. Specifically for windows environment and local network, I schedule in Visual Dbase, with an excellent platform to adapt without any problem from windows 98 to windows 7 up, and installation on servers running windows server.
                          To develop the platform web applications in PHP, JavaScript with MySQL database, using recent technologies for increasing productivity in software development, utilization, performance and safety

Comment

Working...
                          X