Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Different grid refresh-after-update behavior if using Search Part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different grid refresh-after-update behavior if using Search Part

This started out as one post and then I tested some more things and my question evolved. So here's where we'll start.

Example: Take a grid where the query has a WHERE Order_Processed = 'No'. The user opens the record detail view, marks the control to make Order_Processed = 'Yes'. The user hits save and the the detail view closes. Here are the options for Detail View Properties "Row refresh method after edits":

1) Single row: quick, but the record remains in the grid even though Order_Processed now equals 'Yes'. If the user tries to re-open this row, they get an error "Fatal error running a5_ajax_grid(): Result set row requested not found while getting result set data column..."

2) Minimal and Auto-Select seem to have the same behavior as Single Row in this scenario.

3) Full Refresh: the row won't be displayed any longer, which is good, but the grid has to do a full refresh. With a couple of joins and a few parameters in the WHERE statement, this is overkill on the server to have to do the entire query every time a user edits a record.

I'll say too that I have one grid that is editable and just displays one record at a time, which works fine. But there are other needs where users need to see these records because they are time-sensitive but they also need to be able to see all the records in the grid if they need to look for certain record types.

After further testing, I found that if I take the WHERE Order_Processed = 'Yes' out of the query and put a control in the Search Part to search only on records where Order_Processed = 'Yes', then the Single row refresh method leaves the record in the grid but there's not an error if the user tries to re-open the record.

Is this a bug, just the nature of the beast, and/or does anyone have an idea for what I'd really like to see, which is that the single row would remove itself from the queue without the grid having to do a full query?

Any and all thoughts are welcomed.

Re: Different grid refresh-after-update behavior if using Search Part

Hey Chris,

I understand what you mean, but I have to go with "the nature of the beast". It's a database... you have to go after the data after a change... it's not just local data so there's no choice but to go after your records again. I don't know if it's possible in your app, but other users may have changed other records which are no longer available to your grid and so you need to include those edits as well.

You simply want to see that row in the grid disappear... but without going after the data again how do you know what else has changed other than your row. On my simple grid the row does just disappear... and quickly, but with your more complicated query I don't think there's much you can do.

This is probably a silly suggestion, but... try setting the Detail row update to Minimal... and... in the Grid's Client-Side Events, afterDetailViewSubmit... put {Grid.Object}.refresh();

It's still doing a refresh and it's probably exactly the same as Full Page, but see if there's any difference for you.
    Last edited by Davidk; 06-25-2012, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks for replying David.

I've tried the {grid.object}.refresh() method in another component--like you said, it's still running the full query. I understand what you say about it having to go after the data again, and I guess I was hopeful for some kind of opposite of inserting a record--you can do that without doing a full refresh and the row shows up in the grid, albeit in the wrong place based on the ORDER BY. If an edited record could check only itself against the grid query and the grid could keep or eliminate just that row... I guess that's just the stuff of dreams...

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Not completely sure about this, but, since the Grid is very "data" aware, you could use a Dialog to get the effect you want. You'd have to look after all the bits yourself, but you could control it's behaviour a bit more.

Comment

I think the full refresh is the most robust way to deal with this. Chances are your users won't be deleting too often, and will be willing to wait a second or two. You could also work on speeding up the query itself (DB indexes).

Comment

Working...
          X