Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web or Desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web or Desktop?

I have a little experience of Access (single user). I now want to write an application for my workshop employing 3 staff and have looked at Alpha5. I want to run customer facing apps from my office but run a production control app with tablets out at their (noisy) workstations so I can send them next job details and have them tick the box when finished. Should I start out as a desktop or web application? I think I will have to install a WiFi net but don't want to connect to the Internet. What is the A5 web application server? Is this the same as a SQL server or will I have to buy and install that too? Can I put the A5 WAS on the office computer running Windows 7? Any opinions or help much appreciated.

Re: Web or Desktop?

You can run a "web" app just on your network, doesn't have to be exposed to the web. The web application server is needed to run a "web" app. For a multi-user desktop would need the runtime. In either case you also need the developer to build your app. Desktop or web first? Not sure what to tell you. Web development is much harder (no matter what the web guys tell you) unless you have done web work before. But if you go desktop and then decide to go web, you will have to rebuild your app for the web later.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hi George
      Explain "Customer Facing Apps" - that sounds like WEB
      My simple view is - If I look at the slick and complex data driven desktop applications that I deliver to business, to MANAGE the business process, most of the important functions that I use are specified "Desktop only". I would look at Web app only for where the facilities required are only possible on the web, not all the business processes.

Comment

Peter gave good advice(as always).

If you are absolutely sure you will never go to the web, then desktop is quicker and easier to develope and using dbf is great. I believe it is less expensive too.

Either way, you will want a wifi setup.

I have had a customer in the past that wanted web only because he wanted his techs(wrecker and repair shop) to be able to access with laptops in the field(say 10 miles away). He decided on desktop because his cost to benefit was not there for the web when he factored in the laptops and connecting them. He chose the desktop and wifi. That way his equipment, monthly fees, and I were all less for him. Might add, he is still running on version 7.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Peter, thanks for the sound advice. The web tutorials I have viewed, DO make web look much harder than desktop but perhaps more versatile. All the A5 development (and sales incentives) seem to be aimed at web apps.
          Ray, I think of customer facing as Enquiries, Quotes, Progress checking, dispatch note, invoice (with export to our accounts program) which are all desktop. We don't do any selling on the Net.
          Dave, does the runtime make the database visible to the wifi network or do I have to enable file sharing or any other Windows feature?

Comment

Yes it does
            Dave, does the runtime make the database visible to the wifi network or do I have to enable file sharing or any other Windows feature?
            When you set up your database on a "server" that is hooked into the network, it will be on the wifi if the others are.

I have a desktop in front of me that is hard wired and a desktop in another room that is on wifi. They see each other. I can therefore pale my main files on either one and access them from the other. Kinda like this
            http://www.lotrun.com/bestsetup.htm

One more thought, Just because you have a desktop app, that does NOT mean you could not make a small(or large) web app off of that. Better left alone for now. I have a dealer with a desktop app where his used car buyers can add inventory to the app as they buy it and it is done over the web. Have to have developer, runtime in his case and was. That entailed making a web server for him. With the help I got here, it was a piece of cake.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave, Many thanks - decision made, I will start with the desktop and maybe add a web app using the same tables later. Thanks everyone.

Comment

I've just found this, starting from A5 help
                http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Alpha+...untime+License

Comment

I believe you will only need the unlimited(as many as you want) runtime as it comes today in v10(for sure) and v11(pretty sure). You woun't have to worry too much about setting it up.

When you are ready to do your runtime, place a thread on here(under the version of a5 you have asking how or search this forum for the many, many threads already posted and answered. Every kind of senario has been covered.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Depends, I'm sure if you choose Web then you have many users of course. on the desktop, you probably have 1 or more users, I suggest you choose web and use SQL Server or MYSQL if you have 2 or more users. On the desktop part, if you have 1 user then 100% Alpha Five is the BEST, BUT if you have 2 or more users on the desktop, you have to think a million times before using the native dbf, but if you are just accessing 1,000 records then alpha five is still the BEST even if you use the native dbf, you are going to be amazed by its power in querying 1,000 records or less even if you use a complicated set. But if you have records over a hundred thousand, then please don't ever consider using dbf, consider using MYSQL or SQL SERVER, although I have not tested alpha on on these servers when it comes to the speed it accesses over a network, but by then, even if alpha five will be slow, then you will have options to use other programming languages that can access these databases, you have Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition(C# VB.NET, F#) its free, JAVA etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JetLi View Post
                      But if you have records over a hundred thousand, then please don't ever consider using dbf,
                      I don't agree with this assessment. On the desktop, Alpha is fine w. a 100,000 or more records. It's not an issue in my experience. I would recommend a SQL backend for the web, however, for many reasons.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I have to agree with Peter on the 100,000+ plus records. No problems in dbf. I have several dealerships that have surpassed 100k records with a lot of users, and manny fields in a lot of tables that are connected to sets. They are having 0 issues with speed. It just depends on how you build it and what you are needing to do.

SQL if going to web(NO doubt)! However, I tested dbf on the web(my own server) and it worked fine and very quick. I saw no difference than with mysql. I may have been able to do it better and sql would have been faster?? Not sure.

SQL is probably more secure and kinda needed if using a hosting service.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I have created 1 table and put 300,000 records, JUST 1 table no sets, build a single form and shadowed it in a workstation, the workstation opens the form with a blink of an eye, WOW very impressive, now i pretended to be an end user/client. I wanted to filter the 300,000 with the records I want, I hard coded a filter with an equal criteria, then I used the QBF, it took 1 minute and 35 seconds on the workstation to display, once I clicked search the status bar shows that it is like counting from the first record to the last record then it displays now the filtered record, for me, 1 minute and 35 seconds is too slow, with your many users, are they taking this speed fast? I think there are no design issues here, or developer level to be considered, whether I am a novice, I think 1 table does not need an alpha expert to design it very well and make a form and deploy it to a workstation. I made just 1 table and 1 form for testing purposes on the speed on a single workstation. Please share if you have a secret on how to make the query on the workstation to be at least 20 seconds, Microsoft Access displays it at 9.5 seconds.

Comment

The (not so secret) secrets
                            Just design
                            I have a system with just over 296000 records in archive stock movements, collecting additional current quarter movements, producing collective comparisons of value with various criteria, linked to master files.
                            The users queries display as fast the eye lifts from the keyboard.
                            Once the correct prep has been done beforehand. All DBFs

I have another that assimilates only 2600 records across three 1:1 linked tables to create a comprehensive table 0f 21 thousand that takes 51 seconds.
                            They have the same sort of result in an access program that I am replacing (for other reasons not speed) that takes over 4 minutes.

Ask Dave - the race car depends on the driver and track.
                            Last edited by Ray in Capetown; 07-07-2012, 01:38 AM.

Comment

NOTE Jet - I am not doing these operations on a form
                              Just the final results

Maybe you could get a little more experience with alpha before giving advice on its capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X