Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Linked report - no data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linked report - no data?

Has anyone gotten linked reports to work? I have a simple one. The child report previews fine all on its own while in design.

I can put it in a cell on the parent report, and see it there with cross-hatches. When I preview the parent report the linked report takes up space, but displays nothing at all.

As usual, it's probably something I'm doing wrong but I sure don't see it.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Re: Linked report - no data?

Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
    Has anyone gotten linked reports to work? I have a simple one. The child report previews fine all on its own while in design.

I can put it in a cell on the parent report, and see it there with cross-hatches. When I preview the parent report the linked report takes up space, but displays nothing at all.

As usual, it's probably something I'm doing wrong but I sure don't see it.
    Hi Steve

Yep got them working. If you make any changes to the linked report you must refresh the definition in the parent report.
    Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Thanks Glen. Tried that, no change.
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

I keep giving up on linked reports... I try them and they work fine in Preview with appropriate data showing up, but when I open the reports from a grid using CurrentGridFilter() as the filter, the linked reports display no data. I'm pretty sure that's because the linked report can't relate to the CurrentGridFilter() for the parent report. But it seems like a "Linked" report should only need its filter to be the mapped linking fields of the parent report....

This is pretty frustrating to me because an accounting application has a lot of need for linked reports. I end up creating these complex union queries in Access to use for the reports that include all the 'child records' and then I union with the parent records and then do a Group By query that I use as a View for the report. Then in my reports I have to group by the parent fields, and display the child records in the Detail section. It shouldn't be this difficult. In Access reports, linked reports (or sub reports as Access refers to them) are a no-brainer...
        Carol King
        Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
        http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

I had hoped that a night's sleep and fresh look might show me the solution. But I only find an additional oddity.

In the dialog to set the linked report definition from the parent, there's a hyperlink to click "Populate externals from child fields". I clicked on that and it pops up a list of fields that have nothing at all to do with any tables in either the child or parent reports. I do recognize the field names, but there' from a completely unrelated table.

So, still no solution.
          -Steve
          sigpic

Comment

I had lots of problems with linked reports but now have none. They work just fine. I have three of them on one report. Now I'm running SQL as my database so not sure if that matters. I found that you need to link the fields after you place the report on your main one correctly or you will not have any data.
            Reed Brown
            ITOT Solutions, Inc.
            Alpha v12

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
              In the dialog to set the linked report definition from the parent, there's a hyperlink to click "Populate externals from child fields". I clicked on that and it pops up a list of fields that have nothing at all to do with any tables in either the child or parent reports. I do recognize the field names, but there' from a completely unrelated table.

So, still no solution.
              Steve,

I just created and ran a linked report without issue, although I do expeerience the same situation when I click on "Populate externals from child fields".

Bill
              Bill Griffin
              Parkell, Inc

Comment

I found it works in live preview but doesn't work when I publish to production...

Comment

Originally posted by lvasic View Post
                  I found it works in live preview but doesn't work when I publish to production...
                  It does work her in LP and once published.
                  Bill Griffin
                  Parkell, Inc

Comment

Well, as ya'll know, sometimes its just nice to know that others can get it working. So thanks for all the feedback.

I decided to try it on another completely different set of data and it worked well.

The report that I'm trying for has two child reports to link, and so far I had only tried one. So I just tried the second one, and that works. The two child reports are so nearly identical in their construct, content and linking that I don't think there should be a problem, but it's coming along. Just have to figure out why the one simply will not display anything -- no header -- nothing -- at all.
                    -Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

So... all of you who are running linked reports successfully... When you run your report, is it from a grid and is the parent report filtered? Since child reports are usually based on some different table than parent, how do you send a filter through to the linked report? I think that's the problem I'm having... ie, linked report displays data fine in Preview from design mode, but there is NO linked data displaying when I run the report from my grid based on the CurrentGridFilter(). I can tell the linked report is there because I see its title, but no data.

Thanks for any assistance on this.
                      Carol King
                      Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
                      http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

That's an excellent question. I was thinking I could just apply a relatively simple filter on the Action button I use to call the report. Creating the SQL filter there is no trouble but on my first run now I just pegged the server CPU for about 3 minutes, and this is with mostly test data - not real world load yet.

My parent report is only two tables with an inner join - parent table has about 18,000 records.

I'm a reporting whiz on DBFs and Sets -- this game is taking some time to learn.
                        -Steve
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi Steve

Are you by any chance using date time fields for filtering?
                          Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

No, an Integer and a Date:

SessionData.Animal_ID = {Animal_ID} AND SessionData.Start_Date = {Start_Date}
                            -Steve
                            sigpic

Comment

Have you tried defining and using arguments in the filter?
                              Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X