Alpha Video Training

Thread: Painful DbfTransition to SQL SERVER or MYSQL

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jetson Lilibeth

Default Painful DbfTransition to SQL SERVER or MYSQL

It is very frustrating to use dbf on a network environment, after making a lot of novice questions on the desktop thread, and with the help of alpha five experts who are very willing to help, I was able to produce a simple application. At first it is also frustrating to see unneeded results, and with reindexing fixes it all.The application is running smoothly on a single pc, However when I installed the app in another pc to access the shared alpha database, I found out that it is taking too much time to load queries and filters with about much records on a single table, I tried the data in a Microsoft access and sad to say that microsoft access is faster in producing query results. That's why I then decided to start all over again using SQL server or MYSQL, the first thing that I would do is to load a million records and try to access it on a network using the Grid component of alpha five, The main advantage of using the native dbf of alpha is that, coding of add,edit delete, and find is minimized or no code at all. Is it possible to transfer all the dbf tables to MYSQL or SQL Server 2008 express edition?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

Default Re: Painful DbfTransition to SQL SERVER or MYSQL

Quote Originally Posted by JetLi View Post
    It is very frustrating to use dbf on a network environment, after making a lot of novice questions on the desktop thread, and with the help of alpha five experts who are very willing to help, I was able to produce a simple application. At first it is also frustrating to see unneeded results, and with reindexing fixes it all.The application is running smoothly on a single pc, However when I installed the app in another pc to access the shared alpha database, I found out that it is taking too much time to load queries and filters with about much records on a single table, I tried the data in a Microsoft access and sad to say that microsoft access is faster in producing query results. That's why I then decided to start all over again using SQL server or MYSQL, the first thing that I would do is to load a million records and try to access it on a network using the Grid component of alpha five, The main advantage of using the native dbf of alpha is that, coding of add,edit delete, and find is minimized or no code at all. Is it possible to transfer all the dbf tables to MYSQL or SQL Server 2008 express edition?

in the controlpanel use export data select alphaDao or under Tools the Database Fileupsize genie, good luck!

Volunteer Moderator Steve Workings's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steve Workings

Jetson - if you're managing this many records and are this involved in Alpha, I presume you're a subscriber? One of the videos available (subscriber or not really) is "Xbasic for Web Applications". That and the basic A5v11 web-side tutorials (and so much other advice) have emphasized the advise to create your web apps with a SQL back-end. The Xbasic for Web Applications will give you a really good start to working with MySQL especially, and SQL in general.
    -Steve

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jetson Lilibeth

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Workings View Post
    Jetson - if you're managing this many records and are this involved in Alpha, I presume you're a subscriber? One of the videos available (subscriber or not really) is "Xbasic for Web Applications". That and the basic A5v11 web-side tutorials (and so much other advice) have emphasized the advise to create your web apps with a SQL back-end. The Xbasic for Web Applications will give you a really good start to working with MySQL especially, and SQL in general.
    Thank you Steve, I posted something on the Desktop Thread, Titles "Query Speed Tips" but nobody is replying. In your experience as a veteran in alpha, have you encountered a slow querying/filtering in workstations? Is alpha ideal only for a single pc using the native dbf's? I tested JUST a single table making sure that there are not sets involved JUST one table, and I shadowed it on a workstation and tried a query / flter but it is still the same, it is taking over 1 minute to display the result? end users won't like it for sure. What have you been explaining to your customers about the speed?Some say they have 100 workstations? Come on,1 workstation is slow, how much more with 100? maybe this guys are just helping alpha company to market their product, exagerating that they are successfully using 100 workstations 24/7. Please correct me if I'm wrong, just an opinion, and please guide me on how to speed up a query in a workstation with just 240,000 records, I don't know if it will be over a million records. Believe me, Microsoft access displays a query or filter in just seven seconds in a workstation. I disregarded access just because of its database limit which is 2 GB.Thank you.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Chris Tappan

I disregarded access just because of its database limit which is 2 GB.
    I see you're moving the SQL Server direction, and just in view of this quote, be aware that SQL Server Express not only doesn't have a lot of tools that the pay-for versions do, but there are also size limitations. We recently moved from MS SQL to MySQL with that as one reason. Make sure you don't set yourself up to need to migrate again a couple of years from now.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Lee Vasic

I wonder who will charge us more in the end. Oracle or Microsoft?

Volunteer Moderator Steve Workings's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steve Workings

SQL Server Express 2012 allows up to 10 Gb storage - more than some earlier versions of Express. I'm using that for what may turn out to be a huge, huge project with lots of document storage as well, but figure if we start nearing the size limit we'll be well able to afford the move and happy we've come that far. I've already reviewed the upgrade path and it looks straightforward.
    -Steve

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Chris Tappan

The thing about the open-source route, though, is that if Oracle started charging more than MS today, there are already several other open source branches from the development of MySQL that could be switched to with little to no effort. We have also found lots more open-source DB tools and other DB-connected applications that are more MySQL friendly than SQL Server; the only negative to these is they're often more Linux-friendly and with Alpha we're fairly well stuck with Windows...

And Steve, I wish you well and hope your project is successful enough to pay for a larger DB, but why would you want to?