Alpha Video Training
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ***FRUSTRATED***** Application Server Stops working Daily

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

Default Re: ***FRUSTRATED***** Application Server Stops working Daily

correct if you google there is a spawn overhead that might cause the error otherwise you need to check other developers while i haven't seen this issue before

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Scott

Hi lilmofo812,
    After making the changes, have you seen increased stability?
    Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
    REA Inc.
    http://reainc.net
    (416)-533-3777
    scott@reainc.net

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
    If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
    contact us to discuss options.

Real Name
    Jmo

I have seen a decent amount of stability, since doing the registry changes, now I think any issues are being caused by certain MySQL queries that run overnight to do email reminders.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Scott

Do you still see the frequent restarts? We are having issues with our Alpha5 V12 WASs going down and AlwaysUp reports: "The application has failed to stop gracefully and may be forcibly terminated. The following processes may be terminated A5ApplicationServer.exe, splwow64.exe"

This has been occurring seemingly randomly for the past few months. Happened on Version 11 and we just moved particular environments to Version 12 hoping that would resolve the issues. From your post and 'I have seen a decent amount of stability' - do you think the registry changes improved your situation and minimized the amount of crashes/restarts? Are you still receiving random crashes / restarts?

Thanks lilmofo812!
    REA Inc.
    (416)-533-3777
    scott@reainc.net

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
    If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,

Real Name
    Jmo

No server crashes recently, more so the server hangs and I restart it just to keep the complaints down. I definitely feel the registry changes helped with the splwow64 issues I was running into (don't see that process constantly consuming more and more ram which was my initial assessment of what was causing my issues). Now when I do restarts I normally see mysqld.exe consuming up the cpu (on the client side the site stops responding) so I restart the application server from always up to alleviate the stress.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Scott

Got it - I am glad to hear that you feel the registry changes helped as I feel that that process may be the underlying cause of our issues. Only one way to tell right? :)
    I will suggest we make those changes and monitor.

Thank you very much for your response!
    REA Inc.
    (416)-533-3777
    scott@reainc.net

Real Name
    Jmo

No problem! Good luck!

Real Name
    Omar Garcia

I've had this An unhandled exception (c0000005) in the past and I narrowed it down to a default printer. Check your default printer when it crashes as it may be the culprit.

Real Name
    Jmo

A quick question for you Scott (aka aburningflame) what settings are you using in AlwaysUp that is causing the below message to fire?

"The application has failed to stop gracefully and may be forcibly terminated. The following processes may be terminated A5ApplicationServer.exe, splwow64.exe"

The reason I ask is because I have been contemplating turning on some of the settings to automatically stop the server (with auto restart turned on) when certain parameters occur (i.e. it hangs for a certain amount of time or it takes up more than a certain amount of memory) but I am hesitant because I only really want the Application Server to restart when it actually isn't responding (i.e. just because its using more ram doesn't mean the site is down) because the last thing I want is users being booted off the site mid data entry.

I'm also curious (for anyone else following this thread) have you seen better performance/stability by using the IIS over the AWS (I believe these are completely different fbut this isn't really my expertise so any information is greatly appreciated)?

Real Name
    Jeremy Scrime

Does anyone know if AA has plans to migrate AA and the AA server code to 64 Bit? This would seem like it would help with some of the stability issues.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Scott

Same as you - very basic settings for the same reasons as you - not having to reboot unless absolutely necessary. Reboot the computer once a day at 2am.
    REA Inc.
    (416)-533-3777
    scott@reainc.net

Real Name
    Steve Wood

I did not read through all of the comments so maybe this was already suggested. When I have investigated server problems I often find that it is from rogue attacks on the server from bots looking for files. I recall a client with similar problem, and it turned out a competitor was constantly making downloads from the server, killing their performance. Other times I have found the server was under attack by aggressive search engines indexing files at too high a rate for the server to handle, or offshore hits on their RDP, FTP or Windows login. This is all easy to spot if you turn on your logs and make a thorough review, and check the Windows Event Logs. Often it is ONE page on your app that is causing the problem. To find the problem, you have to start with the logs and "observation" and then work your way back to the source.

I think your problem is either: traffic on your server (users or bots), inadequate computer resources, or a problem created by how the app is programmed.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)