Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

TDE Encryption Option for SQL Server Express and Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TDE Encryption Option for SQL Server Express and Standard

I just wanted to share a new find for us in the area of developing small apps where encryption is needed with our SQL databases. In our case, we have leveraged the recent addition of .Net web services within Alpha to pull information from a third party vendor. Since we are using their data within our application, our need for an SQL back-end is very limited, and purchasing SQL Server Enterprise Edition just to get the Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) would be like purchasing a Greyhound bus for a family of four. While it would work great, it sure would be expensive to operate. For me, price is only an issue in the absence of value. However, I struggled with the value-to-price ratio for SQL Enterprise within this application. While it may be true that the 1GB of memory may limit SQL Express, we can still upgrade to SQL Standard for less than half of Enterprise and use one of the following add-on encryption modules.

I have found two reliable TDE options that I believe are worth consideration. First, with a simple change to any connection string, you could enjoy very cost effective 128bit AES encryption using DBDefence from ActiveCrypt. It is free up to a 77MG database. It is $369 for databases up to 2GB and $598 unlimited database size. To use this simply add
    "A5InitialCommand='OPEN SYMMETRIC KEY DBDX DECRYPTION BY PASSWORD='yourpassword'" to your connection string. I did not know about this undocumented connection string property. Thanks go to Kurt Rayner for informing me of this.

The above is a simple install and literally took me 5 minutes to learn how to use and place in a productive test model. This includes the one change in my Alpha DAO connection string. So far all of my tests have passed with all of my stored procedures and queries. I do not know how this will work with Triggers, and I will not be testing this functionality at this time. If anyone has Triggers to test under this configuration please let me know.

Secondly, I have found Encryptionizer from NetLib. This is a completely transparent encryption option and is another very easy installation. It requires absolutely no application modification. Proper configuration from our server is a total cost of $7400, which is still almost half of the cost of most competitive SQL Server Enterprise quotes I have received. My initial quote for the SQL Server Enterprise edition was $27,840. At $7400 this encryption option is still a great value in my opinion.

I hope one or both of these options can help some of you needing encryption for your data without the huge cost.

Re: TDE Encryption Option for SQL Server Express and Standard

Thanks for the comment. I do want to point out that the feature is actually documented.
    If you open the Documentation view and do a full text search on 'A5InitialCommand' (for example), you will actually find 3 matching topics.
    The feature was added in v10.5 and is in the Doc under this path: AlphaDAO, SQL,

Comment

Max, Did you start using one of these options? And would you please share your lessons learned?

Comment

Yes, I m using DBDefence in a couple of production environments. It is very simple to use and very simple to set up. The support is awesome too. You can make backups encrypted or un-encrypted . . . your choice.

I am happy to help if you have further questions.

Comment

Hi Max -

I've started using DBDefence and I agree, it seems like the perfect solution. One little problem... I can't quite get the connection string configured correctly. I've checked out your detail above, as well as Selwyn's reference to the Wiki docs, but still not working for me. Following the standard first part of the connection string (represented by the x;s below)I have...
          {xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,A5InitialCommand='OPEN SYMMETRIC KEY DBDX DECRYPTION BY PASSWORD="passwordhere"'}

The error message I get is: 102- '[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax near 'passwordhere'.

Any idea why this wouldn't work?

Thanks!
          Last edited by Scott B; 02-02-2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Hi Scott,

I think (said think, just doing a first glance) you have the quotes around -> password here <- reversed. I think it should be ='password here' "
            Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

You're right! It worked! Thanks, Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by mhammond View Post
                I do not know how this will work with Triggers, and I will not be testing this functionality at this time. If anyone has Triggers to test under this configuration please let me know.
                Just tested and wanted to report that this works very well with all triggers in my SQL Server db.

Comment

I may be beating this one to death, but it is an important topic so I want to provide as much helpful information as possible.

An important (perhaps obvious) note on the connection string: if you decrypt the backend database and attempt to open your application you will get TONS of grid errors. Basically, the connection string is looking for something to decrypt and cannot find it. So, the lesson here is that you shouldn't attempt to use the front end of your system when the database is decrypted. Personally, I like that, as its a reminder that if I'm working the SQL Server side, I need to re-encrypt as a final step.

Comment

Working...
                  X