Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Documentation Viewer - notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documentation Viewer - notes

hello,

i am trying to figure out how to get the notes feature to work in the documentation viewer. i set up a table. i select the topic that i want to create a note for, then select the add/edit notes option. i don't see anywhere to enter a note. what should i see when i select this option? i'm hoping someone can tell me that i'm doing wrong.

my other question about this help tool is whether or not being able to resize the window is being worked on. i can't resize the window, which makes it difficult to see everything. i would like to make it smaller so that i could see the entire window on my 15.6 inch screen laptop.

thank you
    tracy
    Last edited by noviceuser; 08-04-2012, 11:11 PM. Reason: added more info

Re: Documentation Viewer - notes

What is the document viewer?
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
      What is the document viewer?
      i am referring to the new (at least to me) way to use the help file within the software without having to be connected to the internet. i thought the name of it was called the documentation viewer. (help - - open documentation)
      if that isn't what it's called, let me know.

thank you
      tracy

Comment

Hi Tracy,

In Preferences on the toolbar, you need to specify a table for the notes to be saved in.
        Once that is done, you should be able to enter/edit notes.
        Gregg
        https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Hi Folks,

Three months ago (still during its pre release stage) I did send the bug report below re the new documentation system to Alpha which I find in need of fixing or further refinement:
          (haven't heard from them ever since...)

1. On systems with smaller screen resolutions, the items pane does not scale correctly.
          Even hiding the selector does not help in that the doc reader does line breaks at some
          point off the right screen edge, resulting in lines being cut off and thus making the text
          incomprehensible.

2. When navigating to the favorites tab of the selector the first entry in this tab is immediately
          selected and displayed in the items pane. That's not helpful since I seldom want to see the
          very first entry there. Addendum: The same holds true with every tab!

3. Having to have at least one item displayed is a bit of a nuisance. If - per chance - this is
          an item I do not want to see anymore, I do have to close this unwanted item to reduce the number of open items.
          If it's not possible to have nil items, why not permanently show, say, the 'read me first'
          pane or the 'what's new' page of the latest version?
          And, perhaps, even remove the little 'x' to prevent closing this pane and the somewhat
          tiring message that it can not close the last tab?
          Or, even better: Have the user set her/his preferred doc 'home' page via the preferences?

4. The selector seems to be far too wide. Shortening it would somewhat lessen the problem
          with the topics going too far off the right screen edge...
          A movable divider between selector and items pane would be another possibility.

5. At present, selecting an item on the selector opens it in a new page. Would it be possible to
          have a setting in Preferences where one can set that all items be opened in the same page?

Any other issues I missed?
          SwissCharles
          Between the Alps and a comfy place

Comment

Hi Charles,

I'm just one of the normal users here, but I can see most of this is about personal preferences.

On point #2, The system needs a place to start. The beginning is usually a great place. You have the option of organizing
            your favorites, at the very least to put the one you are most likely to use at the top.

On point #3, You have the option to close all the other tabs, leaving the Read Me First tab as the only one open.
            The next time you open documentation reader, the Read Me First tab will be the one that appears.

On point #4, while I don't see an option to reduce the with of the selector, there is a show/hide selector button on the tool bar.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

Gregg
            Gregg

Comment

The Document Viewer is perhaps the MOST useful tool in the box for us newbies - has saved me hours. Pity about the web viewer I developed last year !! Nigel Goodliffe

Comment

Originally posted by noviceuser View Post
                i am referring to the new (at least to me) way to use the help file within the software without having to be connected to the internet. i thought the name of it was called the documentation viewer. (help - - open documentation)
                if that isn't what it's called, let me know.

thank you
                tracy
                I guess when one is a dozen or more builds behind the current version one can remain blissfully ignorant. Thanks for the reminder. Time to upgrade.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hi Gregg,
                  Thanks for your input - although I beg to differ on a few of them
                  See my replies below..

Originally posted by madtowng View Post

On point #2, The system needs a place to start. The beginning is usually a great place. You have the option of organizing
                  your favorites, at the very least to put the one you are most likely to use at the top.
                  Well, question is: Where is the place to start. While I can set an option in preferences to 'Restore open Tabs on Startup', this just shifts the problem of having to click on a lot of topics to close them from Documentation -Start to -Shutdown. With said option it is indeed possible to set a 'default' starting page. But most of the time, I will start the documentation session on (a) new problem(s) and am not interested in the other 7 items I might have opened during the last session. So I go and close 7 items before closing the doc viewer to be ready when I go in the next time. And when omitting said option of 'Restore open Tabs on Startup' , it will always start on topic '!$ (Substring Exclusion Operator)' in which I am not at all interested in 99.9999999% of the time. But then, when opening the 'Favorites' Tab, the problem materializes once again: It always opens on the first item there with about the same percentage of usefulness as stated above.

On point #3, You have the option to close all the other tabs, leaving the Read Me First tab as the only one open.
                  The next time you open documentation reader, the Read Me First tab will be the one that appears.
                  See my reply above plus this doesn't help with the favorites. It selects the first entry willy nilly and one then has to close this unwanted item first if one does not like being distracted by unrelevant items.

On point #4, while I don't see an option to reduce the with of the selector, there is a show/hide selector button on the tool bar.
                  This doesn't help - at lest not on my DELL notebook with its 17" display and corresponding resolution settings. It just moves the linebreaks even further to the right, cutting off important stuff.

Thanks for your time!
                  SwissCharles
                  Between the Alps and a comfy place

Comment

Well ..... if you start to close your dictionary, and you are in the "M's" on page 363, and it asks you if you would like to come back to this same spot the next time you open the dictionary, and you answer "No," then it is in my view normal that it would open on page 1 the next time you open it. All you have to do is start typing to fond what you want.

In the 13 years I have been using Alpha, this is the best documentation tool we have ever had.
                    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                    972 524 8714
                    [email protected]

Comment

I have to admit, I'm a bit biased.
                      For once, something has been setup for the way I work, right out of the box.

I usually don't put anything in favorites, so that is not an issue for me.
                      As for the open tabs being open the next time I bring it up, that has been great for those annoying
                      times that Alpha5 froze up on me, or when I fell asleep and windows update "had to" reboot the computer.

The hassle of remembering the stuff I was working with is far greater than the hassle of clicking the x to close
                      the tabs once i'm done with them.
                      Gregg

Comment

hi greg,

ahhh, that fixes the problem of being able to create notes.

thank you
                        tracy

Originally posted by madtowng View Post
                        Hi Tracy,

In Preferences on the toolbar, you need to specify a table for the notes to be saved in.
                        Once that is done, you should be able to enter/edit notes.

Comment

i would like to send a bug report, but i do not have email software set up on this laptop because it's primarily set up for testing software.
                          i am a bit baffled why this dialog box can't be resized. why disable that feature?

is there a way to submit a bug report?

thanks

[QUOTE=SwissCharles;618500]Hi Folks,

Three months ago (still during its pre release stage) I did send the bug report below re the new documentation system to Alpha which I find in need of fixing or further refinement:
                          (haven't heard from them ever since...)

Comment

Click on send bug report.
                            Check the box to use your favorite webbased email (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, zimbra).

Gregg

Comment

hi charles,

i will submit a request to have the dialog box modified so that we can resize it as needed.

tracy

Comment

Working...
                              X