Alpha Video Training

Thread: Zip Code lookup with address should return the standardized adress too

Real Name
    Richard

Default Zip Code lookup with address should return the standardized adress too

I have a database with many hand entered addresses and some are turning up with wrong information.

For example the address: 1530 NW 64th Terrace, Miami, Fl, which does not exist as such.

Google maps recognizes this address as 1530 NW 64th Str, Miami, Fl

When I use the Zip Lookup Action Javascript, it is able to get me the correct zip code, although the given address seemingly does not exist.

Wouldn't it be useful if this look up also corrected the address given, by simply returning the standardized address from the USPS?

Real Name
    Sparticuz

Default Re: Zip Code lookup with address should return the standardized adress too

I believe Google Maps offers an address verification tool. http://gabesumner.com/address-valida...oogle-maps-api
    or this: https://smartystreets.com/free-address-verification

You could also look into USPS' address verification, but I think that costs $$$

VAR
    Real Name
    Mike Reed

Default Re: Zip Code lookup with address should return the standardized adress too

Hi,
    That is a tough one. I have routines that work on both the desktop and the web app to do what you ask. It does however only do 1 record at a time. Basically when you are viewing a record, there is button that reads the address info from the record, opens the US Post office zip code site and fills in the necessary fields. Click submit and you have the properly formatted address or a reason why the address is invalid, such as spelling, no apartment number listed, etc. My goal is to get the routine to read the Post Office response and automatically fill in the fields, but I haven't had time to do that.
    If something like that would help, send me a message and I'll be glad to share the routines.
    mike
    Mike Reed
    Phoenix, AZ

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks Sparticuz.
    I did find a usable module in the comments to the first link.
    http://www.thialfi.org/work/api/validate.html
    This does everything I need and looks really simple to integrate.

Thanks to Mike too. I was about to take up your offer before I got the above module. I'm doing similar stuff on a county database website, in my case parsing HTML to get data sent/received and HTTP POSTing the form data with a c#/java module. Luckily it's an old website and hopefully nobody will get the idea of changing the HTML!
    Last edited by richatal5soft; 08-09-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

As a followup on this, I have noticed that the zip code look up has some accuracy problems.
    Using the above mentioned address validate website (or Google maps) , I get the following as a valid and full address using only 9400 NW 15th Ave, Miami, FL:

9400 NW 15th Ave, Miami, FL 33147, USA

But when I use only 9400 NW 15th Ave, Miami, FL to look up the zip code, I get 33174.

When I go to Google maps with 9400 NW 15th Ave, Miami, FL 33174 (note the wrong zip code),
    I get the address 9400 SW 15th St Miami, FL 33174, possibly because the zip code is for that area.

Has anybody else using the zip code look up noticed such issues?