Alpha Video Training

Thread: New tab in Tabbed UI is not working the same from a UX as from grid

Real Name
    Eric Chase

Default New tab in Tabbed UI is not working the same from a UX as from grid

I have been using the tabbed UI with great success for some time. A clients list (grid) had a button that linked to an info sheet which opened in a tab pane. Each new client button selection caused a new tab to open and an employee could keep several client tabs open at the same time. I want to switch to a UX with a list control for the client list with a similar button to open a new tab pane for the selected client. The problem is that, from the UX, unlike the grid, the second selection opens in the "used" pane - the title changes to the new client's name (set in pane title of action JS) but the content does not change (still first client). Note, the target UX is filtered on a session variable (as it was with the grid) and I have checked and it is being set properly. Any suggestions on why I am not getting the same new pane behavior from a UX that I got from a grid?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

Default Re: New tab in Tabbed UI is not working the same from a UX as from grid

Things to note:

If you open a GRID from a list, it will work as you want it to.

If, on your original grid, you change up the search after opening a new tab or two, it will no longer open into new tabs, but start reusing the old ones, the same way.

When opening a UX in the way you are trying to, you would be better of using an Argument to pass the key value, instead of a session variable.

I don't know if there is a way to open multiple UX's from a list like you can open multiple grids. I have not tried it.

One thing is for sure - UX's are very different from Grids. They require an entirely different method of programming. Trying to make them work like grids will only frustrate you.

You never explained why you are wanting to switch to List/UX from a Grid setup that already works how you want it to. Also, you appear to have posted this in V11, which doesn't have List controls.

Real Name
    Eric Chase

Default Re: New tab in Tabbed UI is not working the same from a UX as from grid

First, ya I saw that I posted in the wrong forum but did not switch it because I decided to stay with the grid. I note the following:

Yes, I know that if the target is a grid, there is no problem - just link, whether I am coming from a grid or UX, and the tabbed UI will work great.

It is the originating element that is the problem. I wanted to switch to a UX with list so that I would have more control over formating. It is used on a tablet mostly and space is a premium. What is frustrating is that the target component - UX - is the same in either version. I would expect the UX to take the session variable no matter where it comes from (it does in a window) and the tabbed UI should work.

You are also correct that trying to get this to work (a UX like a grid) was more trouble than it was worth and the important formatting comes after the "client" tab is opened. While it would be marginally better to have UX with list for the originating component, I decided to stick with grid for origination. I did not have the option of not using the tabbed UI because of how important is for my employees to have several clients open at the same time.

While I have always used arguments on target components that take their value from session variables, I have not seen directly passing an argument between components without the session variable. Not sure I need that now that I am apparently committed to the grid for origination but I am curious.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I really appreciate the reply.