Alpha Video Training

Thread: How do I navigate from Tab to Tab without losing pointer to current selected client?

Real Name
    Tom Williams

Default How do I navigate from Tab to Tab without losing pointer to current selected client?

I'm using SQL backend. I am only showing the Detail Part and Search Part. Grid part is hidden.

I have a lot of fields in one table and I want to allow editing of those fields across Tab1..Tab8. Each tab would have different fields contained in the detail view.

The user should be able to jump from Tab to Tab without losing "THAT CLIENT's ID#". Each tab contains a different grid component utilizing only the Search Part and the Detail Part. I think I want to use a session or global var to store the current ID so that I can use it later.

My problem is, when,where and how do I store the current client id into a session or global var because the user can repeatedly move from one client to another using navigation icons on Detail Part. Then if they get to the client they want and now want to jump to another tab, I want them to be sitting on the SAME CLIENT. Otherwise they will be very confused and will enter data on the wrong client.

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: How do I navigate from Tab to Tab without losing pointer to current selected clie

Since it is only one table, is there a reason you need different grids? Can't you just use one grid? Then you could insert tabs in the detail part and you would have the same effect. No need for a session var and no danger of being on the wrong record. No?

Real Name
    Tom Williams

Default Re: How do I navigate from Tab to Tab without losing pointer to current selected clie

Quote Originally Posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    Since it is only one table, is there a reason you need different grids? Can't you just use one grid? Then you could insert tabs in the detail part and you would have the same effect. No need for a session var and no danger of being on the wrong record. No?
    Peter,

I considered your suggestion in my early going but the complexity of the app pushes me to create separate grids that I can manage as a unique unit and then place that component on a separate (and independent) master tab component. This is a legal app and certain rules need to apply under certain conditions. To try and manage that as a complex Detail Part would seem daunting at best.

I also don't fully understand what A5 does in the "background" but I thought that I might "break" the component because I have over 487 fields to deal with. By making these fields only show up when needed, I thought I was lessening the the load
    each component must deal with. In other words, if Tab4 (which has 25 fields) only gets called up occasionally, that grid will not add to the overhead unessessarily.

All I'm trying to do is making sure that when each tab (with it's separate grid ) is made active (front most), I need the Detail Part to be exposing data from the LAST SEEN record (what ever that may be).

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Tom,

Check out the two links in post #13 and the video in post #30 of this thread:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...bed-UI-Builder