Alpha Video Training

Thread: Session variables displaying on Reports - truncating to 10 characters

Real Name
    Mike Perry

Default Session variables displaying on Reports - truncating to 10 characters

Thank you for viewing my post - I am a recent A5 convert so apologies in advance if my questions are a little fundamental

My query:

I have successfully displayed session variables onto reports

However the displayed output of the session variables is truncated to 10 characters

What I am doing to generate the above:

1. I have a dialog that has some dropdown boxes and a "Print Report" button
    2. When the user presses the button an AJAX callback saves the dropdown box data as session variables and calls a report
    3. In the report I have some calculated fields that have the following type expressions - session.Lead_Report_Practise
    4. The displayed output of each session variable is truncated to 10 characters no matter what width I format the field as

The only other interest point is that I am using the recent Power search feature for reports

Regards
    Mike

Real Name
    Mike Perry

Default Re: Session variables displaying on Reports - truncating to 10 characters

bump.........

Since no replies I will try to provide more detail

I have included images that:

Image 1: Shows the presented report were the calculated filed is being truncated (see the circles)
    Image 2: Shows how I am defining the calculated field
    Image 3: Shows how I am defining the session variable within an AJAX callback

Please note: I have noticed that in the database fields I can select/specify the width of my field in the format tab, however in a calculated field there is no such option available in the format tab

I hope this helps

truncated3.JPGtruncate1.JPGtruncate2.JPG

Real Name
    Jeff Benson

Default Re: Session variables displaying on Reports - truncating to 10 characters

The format tab has display format width property for a calculated field.

Real Name
    Mike Perry

Thanks for the reply to my post.

I have attached a screenshot of the Format Tab of the calculated field and you will see that I have no width property available

Hopefully I have made a simply error?

dbfieldproperties.JPGcalcfieldproperties.JPG
    Last edited by mikeperry; 09-24-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Real Name
    Jeff Benson

I don't know. I have created a bunch of calc fields and they all have the format width showing.

I don't think you need the function *current_expression. That is a desktop only function, I believe, not relevant in a web application. What happens if you remove that function?

Real Name
    Bruce Jonson

Hi Jeff,
    I will answer for Mike as I am working with him on this.
    It makes no difference if you remove that function. We have another calc filed and it behaves exactly the same as in truncates to 10.
    In the example Mike did the screen shots of Yeah that has the added complication of the function that retuns the Group by value as in for each group header we want "North Carolina" not "State" But that function allows us to pass in "State" and it Returns "North Carolina" Or wjat ever the value of the State field is for each grouping. In another run the grouping may be by City for example... But I digress...

In another example we have a a straight Session variable we want to display, no functions just passing in the Session Variable.
    The mystery for us is why there is no Display Format Properties for Calc fields. We are popping up the an Alert just before the report opens and says the Session variable is "Company Name" then on the report we get "Company N" << Truncated to 10... What gives???

Mike has laid out in his posts exactly what we are doing. What are we missing?
    Any help would appreciated as we are completely stumped.

Thanks Bruce
    Last edited by kiwibruce; 09-24-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Real Name
    Mike Perry

Hi all - thank you for your replies.

The problem has been solved by going to the Object Explorer and setting the width field in the Entry property for each object. I still do not know why the calc fields property box did not give me access to the width property but the above work around gets me there

Many thanks again to those who posted replies

Real Name
    Robin Jones

I've had simialr problems with calculated fields.

I found that if you put the fields in a rich text container, that does it.