Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Hiding repeating fields in the detail section of a report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiding repeating fields in the detail section of a report

Does anyone know how to hide selected repeating fields in the detail section of a report? I have looked everywhere and cannot find any examples or mention of this. Here is an example of the detail section:

Company Name Invoice# Item Cost
    Alpha Corp 000001 001 100
    Alpha Corp 000002 002 150
    Alpha Corp 000003 003 200
    Alpha Corp 000004 004 100
    Beta Corp 000005 005 100
    Beta Corp 000006 006 150
    Beta Corp 000007 007 200

This is what I want:

000002 001 150
    000003 003 200
    000004 004 200

Beta Corp 000005 005 100
    000006 005 150
    000007 007 200

I only want to hide the company name if it repeats, but not the Item or Cost.

Thanks

Re: Hiding repeating fields in the detail section of a report

Create a grouping for company name.

Then you have a group header for company and the detail section for each invoice.

Look at Alphasports' invoice for examples of grouping..
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Thank you! I will give that a try.

Comment

Another option is when you drag/drop the field onto the report, the field genie will allow you to suppress repeating values.
        Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by aschone View Post
          Another option is when you drag/drop the field onto the report, the field genie will allow you to suppress repeating values.
          Andrew - good suggestion, but that option won't display the data per the example shown...

It would cause columns to become blank... like this example..

Code:
                     000002 002 150
                     000003 003 200
                     000004 004 100
          Beta Corp  000005 005 100
                     000006 006 150
                     000007 007 200
          It all depends on what is actually desired...
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

I created a group and put all of the fields I don't want repeated in the group region. I put the fields that do not repeat in the detail region. It is still not coming out the way I want. I want the group fields and first detail line to all appear on the same line. It is closer to what I want, but not exactly. When I created the group, I had to specify a group field. I had to create an expression using the ID and name because the group will sort on the field you select. My query is already sorting the data the way I want, but A5 appears to be sorting again when you create a group. Here is a sample of the output. The last names have been erased.

Example1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by aschone View Post
              Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post
              Andrew - good suggestion, but that option won't display the data per the example shown...

It would cause columns to become blank... like this example..

Code:
                         000002 002 150
                         000003 003 200
                         000004 004 100
              Beta Corp  000005 005 100
                         000006 006 150
                         000007 007 200
              It all depends on what is actually desired...
              Originally posted by DaveF View Post
              I created a group and put all of the fields I don't want repeated in the group region. I put the fields that do not repeat in the detail region. It is still not coming out the way I want. I want the group fields and first detail line to all appear on the same line. It is closer to what I want, but not exactly. When I created the group, I had to specify a group field. I had to create an expression using the ID and name because the group will sort on the field you select. My query is already sorting the data the way I want, but A5 appears to be sorting again when you create a group. Here is a sample of the output. The last names have been erased.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33513[/ATTACH]
              So now it sounds like you want the results that Andrew's solution offers..

Your example didn't display as you expected and inferred another solution.

Try Andrew's suggestion. It'll do what you want.

btw, you can turn off the sorting of a group by choosing the group option to use set order....
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Albert Einstein

Comment

I wasn't sure what that group order option meant. I went into "Group Properties" and changed the "Group order" to "Use set ordering" and now A5 doesn't sort by the group field which is what I want. Thanks!

I still do not understand the part about dragging a field onto the report and the field genie will allow me to suppress repeating values. Here is an example of my report:

Example2.JPG

The fields that should not repeat are in the group region and the fields that should repeat are in the detail region. The only time I see the option to suppress repeating fields is when I drop a field onto the group region. This is what comes up:

Example3.JPG

This dialog does not come up when I drop fields on the detail region. If I put all of my fields in the group region, then I only get one detail line and the rest are hidden.

Comment

Make sure the "Bring up field Genie" option is turned on before dragging your field to the report. By default it is off and the Field Genie only appears if you drag to a group or header/footer. By enabling it a field dragged into the detail section will cause the genie to appear as well.

I posted a picture showing where it is located.

Instead of the having the genie generate the calcualted field you can create it yourself. Here is a sample.

Code:
                  blank_dups_Schedule_studentid_for_Grand = blank_duplicate(Schedule->studentid,grp->Grand,grp->detail)
                  Attached Files
                  Andrew

Comment

Thanks Andrew. I'm getting closer. I deleted my group, activated the "Bring up field Genie" and "drug" the four fields that I don't want to repeat to the detail section. I previewed the report and the first line looked great - exactly what I wanted. Then I noticed I was not getting a blank line between each student's last class and the next student's first class so I created a group again and just turned on the footer. Now it looks perfect with the exception of page breaks. Sometimes a student gets split between 2 pages. I don't want to force a page break and keep all of the records together. Instead, I want to repeat printing the ID, name, gender, and grade when there is a page break and then go back to suppressing repeating fields. I don't see anything obvious in the group properties to force these fields to print again on a page break. Perhaps this is controlled in the field Genie. Is there any way to get back to that field genie for a given field already on the report or is it a one time deal?

Also, I'm not sure what you meant about creating my own calculated field for suppressing repeated fields. I just let the Genie do this and it seems to work okay.

Thanks again

Comment

Only way I know to get the genie again is to delete the field and re-drag it onto the report. In regards to how you want new pages to appear I do not know how to do that. I always to keep my groups together on a page in order to avoid figuring out how to do what you want to do.
                      Andrew

Comment

Here is the documentation on Report Calculated fields may prove useful for ya.
                        http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Insert...ons+in+Reports
                        Andrew

Comment

Thanks for all of your help Andrew. I will read that wiki page. Sometimes I want to keep all of the records together on the same page, but in most cases I want to continue printing the detail fields and re-print the master fields once on the new page and go back to hiding them for the remainder of the detail fields. If I ever figure it out I will let you know.

On another topic, I just spent about 2 hours dabbling with a "layout table" report for the first time. There is not much documentation and I've seen many message board threads posted by frustrated people. Do you ever use this method and do you find this reporting option usable in it's current state? One thing I have been frustrated with is the report writer ignores all of the property settings for my report header fields (column headings). I've tried setting them to bold, underline or changed the justification and they do not obey these settings. I'm not sure yet if the same is true for a free-form report. The only way I can change the attributes is to change the report header fields to "static HTML" and enter the appropriate mark up. However, the data fields in the detail section do obey the property settings in the Properties Pane.

Thanks again.

Comment

I tried the other report options when v11 first came out. When I attempted them they generated errors and totally unusable by me. Figured I could do what I needed to do with the basic report writing UI and have not seen a reason to change to the other methods.
                            Andrew

Comment

Working...
                            X