Alpha Video Training

Thread: How to close a window containing an a5w page or not open it in the first place???

Real Name
    Jinx

Default How to close a window containing an a5w page or not open it in the first place???

I've written some code to enter a new record into my database with an automatically issued number. I couldn't figure out how to run the code by itself with a button so I created an a5w page with it inside and I'm opening it with an onclickevent "Open an .a5w page, static HTML page, URL, or PDF document". Here's the code I need to run:

Code:
    <%A5
    dim conn as sql::connection

flag = conn.open("::Name::MVWKS")

dim sqlCommand as c

sqlCommand = "Select MAX(tnumber) from [tooling card info] where left(tnumber,1)='0'"

flag = conn.execute(sqlCommand)

dim rs as sql::ResultSet

rs = conn.ResultSet

dim next as n

next=rs.data(1)
    next=next+1

dim addzero as c

addzero=next
    addzero="0"+addzero

dim user as c

user=upper(left(a5ws_getcurrentuser(),3))

dim args as sql::Arguments

args.add("nextnumber",addzero)
    args.add("drawnby",user)
    args.add("nowdate",now())
    args.add("fileloc","P:\Secured\ReleasedPDF\Tooling"+chr(92)+left(addzero,3)+chr(92)+addzero+".pdf")

sqlCommand = "insert into [tooling card info] (tnumber, Revision, Drawn_by, Status, File_location, Department, File_type, File_ext, Last_edit_by, Issued) values (:nextnumber, '0', :drawnby, 'New Card', :fileloc, 'MFG ENG', 'SolidWorks', 'slddrw', :drawnby, :nowdate)"

conn.execute(sqlCommand,args)

args.clear()

end 

%>
    The code runs properly and does what I need it to do inside the a5w page but I CAN'T AUTOMATICALLY CLOSE the window afterwards. I've read on this forum that there is a problem with the usual methods of closing a window (close last opened window or close parent window) when your window contains an a5w page.

Can anyone help me close this window automatically or is there another way to run the code without opening one in the first place?

Real Name
    Jinx

Default Re: How to close a window containing an a5w page or not open it in the first place???

Nevermind. I finally found it. Make your "on click event" an Ajax callback and just put your a5w page in for the url but don't enter any action name or whatever. That fixes opening the window in the first place

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: How to close a window containing an a5w page or not open it in the first place???

Cool... that'll come in handy... thanks.