Alpha Video Training
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

  1. #31
    "Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    25,119

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    It is also possible you could use the windows start menu, control panel, Administrative Tools, computer management, storage, disk management and change the drive letters as desired. But that's not what you asked about.

    change.png

  2. #32
    Member
    Real Name
    Sam Gerber
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray in Capetown View Post
    Sam, that is the obvious basic choice no brainer.
    From the start you posed the problem as D and S drives - then post 4 Tom said make both S drives - same thing.
    I presumed you had valid reasons to be unable to use the obvious commonality of C drives -Maybe for network reasons or who knows - that would be a little elementary to have asked you the obvious.
    It's a curse, Ray, to be born a problem solver. I always look a challenge head on and don't see the forest for the trees. I don't know when it would have occurred to me to "see" the commonality of the C: drive.

    Ever study two printouts for hours and hours trying to debug something? You're tearing your hair out trying to solve the problem when your 6 year old walks by, looks over your shoulder and comments "how come that line on the right has two commas at the end"? That's me with the C: drive, Ray.

  3. #33
    "Certified" Alphaholic DaveM's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dave Mason
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Hudson, FL
    Posts
    6,026

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    what has been said, maybe differently

    adb may not the best name for a variable it could be reserved by alpha. Yea, I ran into a few reserved words before.

    When using drive letters and assigning them, maybe a different drive letter to each folder would be be simpler. Each folder will have or create it's own .muf file.

    Naming conventions could be better: several people have posted some sound advice on this. Not picking and have seen much worse, but there is no reason for something like this:"WGCX Invoicing & Sales Analysis.adb" for the name of an adb.

    Do not mean to hurt anybody's feelings, but it is what it is.

    Making sure the folders in question have full read write permissions is a good idea.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

  4. #34
    Member
    Real Name
    Sam Gerber
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mathews View Post
    It is also possible you could use the windows start menu, control panel, Administrative Tools, computer management, storage, disk management and change the drive letters as desired. But that's not what you asked about.

    change.png
    That's an extremely valuable tool I'm familiar with, Stan. Unfortunately Hewlett-Packard won't let my son use D: and I can't easily change my D: to S:. I have a number of programs that point to their data on D: and other connections that may be broken. Risky business.

    Doesn't everyone know that our Data drives MUST be called D:. That's the very reason Data starts with a "D". I sold my HP stock because of this. Yep. Both shares!
    Last edited by sgerber; 10-28-2012 at 02:11 PM.

  5. #35
    Member
    Real Name
    Sam Gerber
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    Naming conventions could be better: several people have posted some sound advice on this. Not picking and have seen much worse, but there is no reason for something like this:"WGCX Invoicing & Sales Analysis.adb" for the name of an adb.
    I'm sorry, Dave, but why don't you like that name? The reason for using it is that it best describes the application. What problems do you foresee?

  6. #36
    "Certified" Alphaholic DaveM's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dave Mason
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Hudson, FL
    Posts
    6,026

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    too long with spaces and non alpha-numeric characters. In otherwords, about all of it.

    Describe it with a few(maybe 8) letters? I am a believer in keeping it simple and short.

    I believe your d: drive is a partition of the c: drive that HP, My IBM, dell and most others use as their save place. They usually make it where you cannot get to it. Not sure how you got data on it in any case.

    Doesn't everyone know that our Data drives MUST be called D:. That's the very Data starts with a "D". I sold my HP stock because of this. Yep. Both shares!
    Not hardly. a and b are usually floppy, c for hard and d for cd. That can all be changed of course, so data is where ever you put it.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

  7. #37
    Member
    Real Name
    Sam Gerber
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    too long with spaces and non alpha-numeric characters. In otherwords, about all of it.

    Describe it with a few(maybe 8) letters? I am a believer in keeping it simple and short.
    Hi Dave. I can respect that you like your ADB names short and simple. However you criticized my name as being too long and for having a "&" character in it. You said there's no reason for doing this and I answered that my reason is that I like descriptive ADB names. Please tell me, Dave, why you think it's wrong to do this. What problem do you expect me to run into?

    I believe your d: drive is a partition of the c: drive that HP, My IBM, dell and most others use as their save place. They usually make it where you cannot get to it. Not sure how you got data on it in any case.

    Not hardly. a and b are usually floppy, c for hard and d for cd. That can all be changed of course, so data is where ever you put it.
    Dave, "C" does not stand for "hard". It stands for "partition". A hard drive must be defined with one or more partitions. "C:" is Windows' convention for the partition containing the operating system. HP creates a separate partition for their "save" or really, "recovery area". Nothing is a partition of the C: partition, as you are saying. Only drives can having partitions; partitions cannot have partitions. You believe that Dell, IBM and others are putting a special "save place" in the C: partition and that's not true. They are putting the "save area" in its own partition and they generally do not assign a drive letter to it.

    HP, on the other hand, does assign a drive letter to their recovery partition and that's what I take exception to. Once they do that, and worse, write their recovery procedures to only work with that drive letter, they make it impossible for users to place their data there.

    Finally, Dave, you're under the impression that users cannot get to the "save" partition put there by the manufacturer of the PC. Not only can they, but many users do and for various good reasons. If you right-click the My Computer icon and select "Manage", and then in the ensuing dialogue choose "storage" you'll be shown all the partitions of your primary disk drive and what drive letters, if any, are assigned to them. You will also be shown other disk storage devices like your CD, USB backup drive and your usb flashdrives. Windows invites you to change their drive letters, but of course you need to understand the implications of doing that. Windows 7 goes a big step further, Dave, in that it will enable you to shrink your C: partition, which then makes space to add a data partition. This is exactly how I defined the S: drive letter for my son's new data partition. Previous to Windows 7 we had to purchase a special add-on program to do this, like "Partition Magic".

    I hope this dialogue adds to your understanding of disk partitioning and the way manufacturers lay out their special areas..
    Last edited by sgerber; 10-27-2012 at 06:38 PM.

  8. #38
    "Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    Posts
    2,143

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    Oh my, I'm sure glad I didn't jump into this thread prior to this with the tons of useful help (or useless "help" depending on how it is taken) I could have offered (and still could offer but won't). Even though in some respects this thread shouldn't be dead and done, Sam at least seems to think he's got it all nailed down (and for his limited purposes maybe he does)--so let's hope this thread is dead and done. Good luck Sam.

    Yes, I know this reply is useless but I just couldn't help myself. I should just stop reading these things. Sorry!

    Raymond Lyons

  9. #39
    "Certified" Alphaholic Ted Giles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ted Giles
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    In the Wolds, Louth, Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    4,365

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    Your slip is showing, Ray. (Ask your good lady.)
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK
    .

    http://ec12.example-software.com//
    See our site for Alpha Support, Conversion and Upgrade.

  10. #40
    Member
    Real Name
    Sam Gerber
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
    Oh my, I'm sure glad I didn't jump into this thread prior to this with the tons of useful help (or useless "help" depending on how it is taken) I could have offered (and still could offer but won't). Even though in some respects this thread shouldn't be dead and done, Sam at least seems to think he's got it all nailed down (and for his limited purposes maybe he does)--so let's hope this thread is dead and done. Good luck Sam.

    Yes, I know this reply is useless but I just couldn't help myself. I should just stop reading these things. Sorry!

    Raymond Lyons
    It's always nice to have someone else drop in Ray. Welcome.

    I see by your tone that you think I've copped out a bit on the solution I finally chose in using the C: drive.

    Sam at least "seems" to think he's got it all nailed down ...
    From a purist point of view, perhaps I have, Ray, but I'm totally comfortable using C. I don't have any limitations that require more than that, like network drive letter considerations. I'm not a "developer" like many here. I'm just a guy with computer familiarity who wrote a major application for his son 16 years ago, and who needed to rewrite the app in 32bit code. My development computer and my son's production computer were both running A5 data on the C: drive back then, and now that tradition continues.

    It seems you were going to offer an opinion but held back, given the course I've taken. I'm always interested in others' opinions if you want to reconsider.

    Thanks for joining in Ray ... Sam

  11. #41
    "Certified" Alphaholic DaveM's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dave Mason
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Hudson, FL
    Posts
    6,026

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    All the computers I have gotten(other than ones I built) have a letter for the second partition for the manufacturer. Those include: Gateway, IBM/Lenovo, Dell, emachine and HP. If I create 2 partitions on a drive, the bios connects it as a d: drive. Yes I do have some of those on the computers I have built.

    Yes, I can BREAK into any of them I have needed to so far. Mostly, this is not reccommended.

    a and be are mostly (as stated above) considered to be floppy drive letters. CD drives generally(not always) follow the hard drive letters. Usb drives do not always follow to what id left. Can you change all this? YES! Is it a better way?? Maybe, but doubtful.

    One server has a c: drive with one partion and windows 2003. It also has a d: drive partitioned so that there is a E: drive. D is ubuntu linux and can be booted from there. E: is strictly storage.

    When I started building computers and making apps in the 70s and 80s, we used a ram drive(yes it had its own letter) to compile our .exe's . it could take 2 hours doing it on the hard drive or 15 minutes on a ram disk.

    I have a brand new lenovo laptop with a 500 gig HD partitioned with a d: drive and I am going to break into it because I need to make a bootable dvd and lenono doesnt get it done.

    I hae more than 10 apps(just in Alpha) on sold commercially. Some are in shareware, one is freeware and the reast are sold with a test period. I have a couple others not in alpha.

    Basically, you thought I was being confrontational to you. That was not the intent. I did intend to explain to you in stronger terms than others because it "seemed" you did not get what they were saying.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

  12. #42
    Member
    Real Name
    David Abbott
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedfordshire, England
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    Quote Originally Posted by sgerber View Post
    Doesn't everyone know that our Data drives MUST be called D:. That's the very reason Data starts with a "D". I sold my HP stock because of this. Yep. Both shares!
    Don't know about "must", but ever since Windows 3.1 when from using 5 1/2" floppies, I bought a state of the art 40mb hard drive (partitioned as a c and d drive due to the 32mb limit at the time) I've always partitioned my hard drives. Like you, D has always held my data, and is the drive that I have religiously backed up - and it has saved me on more than one occasion in the intervening couple of decades.

    I haven't bothered backing up my C drive for years now - it's a pointless exercise, as was proved once when my motherboard fried. It was cheaper to upgrade the CPU, MB and RAM than replace with a like-for-like motherboard. Of course, Windows threw its toys out of the pram because so many drivers had changed, and despite spending ages in safe mode, the only solution was a factory re-install of Windows then all of my programs. But at least my data was safe!

    It has always annoyed me that Windows has slavishly used My Documents and the like and sticking this well down the directory tree on the C drive. I bet countless people have lost hundreds of gigabytes of data

  13. #43
    "Certified" Alphaholic DaveM's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dave Mason
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Hudson, FL
    Posts
    6,026

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    It has always annoyed me that Windows has slavishly used My Documents and the like
    agreed and never will understand that reasoning!
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

  14. #44
    Member
    Real Name
    Sam Gerber
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    190

    Default Re: Alpha Five thinks I'm running a multi-user app. I'm NOT!

    It has always annoyed me that Windows has slavishly used My Documents and the like and sticking this well down the directory tree on the C drive. I bet countless people have lost hundreds of gigabytes of data
    Esio, I couldn't agree more. It is so freaking annoying to have to drill down through Documents and Settings (and now Windows 7 has changed that to "C:\Users") to find something important, like Alpha Five's activation.key or Firefox's bookmarks. It's just stupid, in my view as well.

    ... Sam

Similar Threads

  1. Multi User App
    By doorscomputers in forum Alpha Five Version 11 - Desktop Applications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2011, 08:24 AM
  2. running multiple Alpha Five 10.5 App Servers on a Server
    By Richard Rabins in forum Application Server Version 10 - Web/Browser Applications
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 09:46 AM
  3. Is it possible to switch from a single user app to a multi user on a shared network?
    By Patd in forum Alpha Five Version 10 - Desktop Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 11:57 PM
  4. how to lock buttons in a multi user app?
    By fddizon in forum Alpha Five Version 8
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 09:02 AM
  5. Multi-User Access to Alpha
    By Patricia Spieler in forum Alpha Five Version 4
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-04-2002, 11:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •