Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

10.5 patch situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10.5 patch situation

I updated my build level last week on two machines and I've started experiencing several peculiarities. There are certain programs that no longer function correctly on the latest build, but still work fine on the machines that have not been updated.

I'm wondering if there is any method of getting my hands on the older builds so I can do a reload of them. I've tried to access Alpha's website to check, but they seem to be down due to the storm I guess.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.

Tom

Re: 10.5 patch situation

I am not understanding the problem of peculiarities. As long as you let it install .net and the c++ runtime(if going from version 10 to 10.5), there should be no problems. I didn't anyhow, and mine was done some time ago.

You got to your update from the main startup of 10.5 and you should be able to see older patches below. You can pick up whichever you want. That is assuming the big storm is not messing it up. If you saved your downloads, you can go back from there.

I just checked: It does appear to be down. I have most of them.

4639-3712 seems to be the newest.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave is correct about the last build number.
      If you are using Runtime, the build numbers need to be the same or you may have failing progs.
      Can you explain the behaviour?
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Dave-Ted,

Well, here's the situation. Early last week one of the desktops on our network was replaced with a new system. Late in the week I loaded Alpha 5 v10.5 as I always do. (We've been running v10.5 for over 2 years.) I then tried to locate the same build that the other desktops use but could not locate it....I don't know why. At any rate, I figured it was no big deal because I could take this opportunity to upgrade her machine and everyone else's to the latest build. So I applied the latest build to the new machine (but no others) and everything seemed to go well for her.

I should interject that we do not run in a shadowed environment. Everyone runs directly off the server in a star method where database and programs are centrally located. It has worked beautifully for 2 years now and has given us no trouble whatsoever.

Well, back to the story. So yesterday we discovered that there an important program was not working properly on the newly installed system, i.e. it failed to display the results of its query. So at that point, I went ahead and loaded the latest patch to my system and the server but no one else's. Then I started having the same problems...still, none of the other down-level systems were.

Now I have my monthly statements to run tomorrow and I'm really afraid that the program will bomb somewhere...it is a highly structured and complex program. My option is to run the program from another machine or drop the two machines back to the same build level that the others are running.

Thus my original question of how to locate that particular build. I would have liked to have provided specificity on the build numbers but that information is at work and I'm at home.

Thanks!

Comment

In A5V10.5 when you click Help > Download Patches you will see a link to ALL previous patches at the very bottom. I'd go there to look but their patch server is down, surely due to tropical storm Sandy.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Tom, have you told us the build number of the "down level" build you're looking for?

Comment

Tom,

The working build is 10.5 3739, build 3629.

The non-working build is: v10.5 build 4369, build 3712

Tom

Comment

I thought I had saved all of my old updates but I guess that I deleted them. The only one I have is the one you say is not working.

Comment

Unless you get this resolved during the day, I'll check to see if I have the older patch at home tonight.

Comment

That sounds great Tom. I'll let you know.

Comment

The Alpha site is back up and I was able to find the area where previous builds are stored. 3739_3629 was available.

Comment

(as Steve Wood noted in post #5)
                        aren't all old patchs listed from the download patch page?

and leads to this page

http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a...nate/index.htm

So I take it the Alpha site was down for a few moments or 2....
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD
                        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Working...
                        X