Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Fun Topic: Show off your work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun Topic: Show off your work!

Let's face it... It's hard to get excited over rows, columns and dialogs. The styles that Alpha gives us to work with are nice in a basic sort of way, but there really is no WOW factor. For that, we need to draw on our inner artist to present to the end user a product that makes him/her really smile and take notice. A car is a car but a Lamborghini is a work of art. Are you an artist? If so, take a bow and showcase your best work here! Take a screenshot or two or three and show off a little. I would love to see your work!
    Rapid Development, Training, Support
    http://data2web.network
    903-740-2549

Re: Fun Topic: Show off your work!

Terrific suggestion ! I have 5 sites running in production and they all suffer from the "yawn" factor..... hope to see some examples

Comment

Hi David,

How about you make a start so we can see how much of "yawn" factor...they have!!!!!
      Regards
      Keith Hubert
      Alpha Guild Member
      London.
      KHDB Management Systems
      Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

okay but don't say I didn't warn you lol

www.riverviewlanes.com

couple of notes
        working on jazzing up the home page to give it more pop
        godaddy dedicated server
        data is SQL Server 2008r2
        live site so I can't share the admin login - just a few people are admins and they click the bowling ball in the footer to access the login page

another would be www.axlesurgeons.com

Comment

I spent a good few weeks coding this in a combination of xBasic, and JavaScript (a lot of which is jQuery). I did a full datatables integration because I was unable to acomplish what I needed with a dialog. A dialog is really slow when you do large datasets with lots of custom javascript.

It has a lot of features that users seems to really like:
          - Users can drag and drop rows when in custom sort order mode
          - Floating header that always stays at top of screen when you set large row count
          - Rows expand for more data.
          - The page can be loaded then modified offline including adding and modifying thousands of items all without AJAX callbacks to retrieve data (other than the initial callback on page load) which allows users to edit the order guide in the back rooms of grocery stores where there is no cell signal then come out and send the order
          - jQuery UI theme selection
          - Paging and scrolling modes

datatables_integration.PNG
          Last edited by LukeS; 11-12-2012, 07:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi Dave!
            Thanks for sharing your site with us. I too started out with a VERY basic website and once it was functional I then took my time tinkering with it to make it look prettier. You can see it at http://ablejobs.us
            My current goal is to spice up my applicant registration page as it is the epitome of blandness.
            To see the login, click Admin at the bottom of the screen.
            Keep up the good work!
            903-740-2549

Comment

Hi Luke!
              Wow, that is a beautiful form. Compared to yours mine is a 76 Ford Pinto. I love the custom graphics and the color scheme. I'm no HTML warrior but I do know my way around Photoshop. I need to pay more attention to the ability to add my own graphics on the form. I am inspired now!
              Thanks!
              903-740-2549

Comment

OK, you asked for it. http://www.churchjobfinder.co.uk/ This is a live site have a look around, comments or suggestions are welcome.

mvaughn, I do not regard your site as a 76 Ford Pinto. By comparison, I think mine is rather empty.

ps, can we have a real name, unless mvaughn is your real name.
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Hubert View Post
                  OK, you asked for it. http://www.churchjobfinder.co.uk/ This is a live site have a look around, comments or suggestions are welcome.
                  Hi Keith.... while looking around your web site I branched off to your company web site www.khdb.co.uk and really like your menu bar. Cool stuff

Comment

Luke,
                    That's a cool-looking integration. You have posted an equivalent A5 "grid", but could you share a shot of your huge newly-fashioned dialog that caused you to search outside of A5's standard dialog? It must have had a ton of fields, or a massive repeating row section?

Comment

Thanks David,

Thanks for looking at my own site. Just to let you know, that is not an Alpha built web site.
                      Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Here is my service log form. All grids.

Here is my invoice form. All grids too.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by frankbicknell; 11-16-2012, 08:35 AM.
                        Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Good idea, nice to see these examples. Graphs for dialog is opening up possiblities for our client results portal, also working on moving our Access LIM's to Alpha.

FoodtestGraphs1.png

Robin
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Foodtester; 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM. Reason: Image Problem

Comment

Yet another data entry form.... all grids.... yawning

Attached Files
                            Last edited by frankbicknell; 11-16-2012, 08:47 AM.
                            Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

I appreciate seeing all your work. Keep them coming.

A grids, a detail view, and our homepage. Most of my stuff is read-only grids with detail views.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X