Alpha Video Training

Thread: Linked grid not auto populating linked field

Real Name
    Richard

Default Linked grid not auto populating linked field

I have a child grid that is linked to a parent grid. It is a non editable grid but allows adding new records and has 3 new rows by default.
    I'm opening it via action js as a pop-up window and have field admissionid = admissionid as the linking fields.

My problem is that every now and then when I open the child grid the admissionid value is not automatically passed into the linked grid... instead the admissionid is set to 0. The admissionid on the parent grid is definitely not 0. Obviously a real problem as I end up with bad records.

I've only been able to replicate this when the admissionid field on the parent grid is hidden, when there aren't any previously saved records in the child grid and when I edited the parent grid just before opening the "faulty" child grid. Could the hidden linking field be the issue? Could having Row Refresh Method After Edits set to AutoSelect be an issue?

All help appreciated.

Pic attached.

ScreenHunter_48 Nov. 12 06.45.jpg
    Last edited by rjackson@arach.net.au; 11-11-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Alpha Software Employee Richard Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Default Re: Linked grid not auto populating linked field

We do offer support blocks with access to senior product people at Alpha. These blocks of time can be customized to individual needs.

Please contact me at richard@alphasoftware.com and I will get you the info.

Thanks
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

Real Name
    Michael Darby

Instead of hiding the field using the Hidden check box, change the following properties under Column Properties for the field:
    Heading in-line style - display: none;
    Cell in-line style - display: none;

Real Name
    Richard

Hi Michael, thanks so much for the reply which seems to get around the issue. I'm concerned though and this seems like a bug to me as surely I should be able to hide the field using the Hide checkbox, would you agree? I see this as a real trap as often I would have the id fields hidden on most grids and wouldn't know if the linked value wasn't being properly passed to the child grid. Did you get caught by this too?

Nice to see another Australian developer in the Alpha community.

Real Name
    Michael Darby

Hi Richard, no worries. I had bumped into the same issue quite some time ago so I thought it would be good to have the info on the forum. I'm not sure it is a bug because the Hide Column option is really only there so it can be used in a freeform layout. The helper text for the Hide Column could probably be improved though.

Likewise, it is good to see another Australian A5 user.

Real Name
    Richard

I had some feedback from Alpha on this and it turns out it is best practice to explicitly define the Hyperlink field in the Detail View part properties. I was defining a link to the Detail View in the Grid part properties i.e. setting a field to Control Type "Link" and the Link Address Type to "Detail View Link".

This is because when the grid is first created Alpha automatically links the Grid to the Detail View using the first field in the grid... in my scenario the Admission ID field. When I subsequently hid this field everything appeared to continue to work because I had defined another Link field in the Grid part but it did cause the issue with the zero being passed in.

Michael, if you do as recommended the Hide Column check box can be safely used.

Hope this helps