Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Database Structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Database Structure

i want to create a company database, in a seperate database i want to list company type and in a seperate database manufactuerer type. this way when someone fills in company they can drop down a list of Company types such as Manufacturer, service etc. and in another drop down for Manufacuterer type such as plastic, steel etc.

is it correct to create seperate databases and if so how do i accomplish the drop downs. i know i need to create a set out of these but not sure how to create the dropdowns or if this is the correct way

Re: Database Structure

I use one table for drop-downs and filter it by Type. The drop-downs are created on the detail-view. So you would have one table for your company and one table for your drop-downs.

Comment

Originally posted by glazier View Post
      i want to create a company database, in a seperate database i want to list company type and in a seperate database manufactuerer type. this way when someone fills in company they can drop down a list of Company types such as Manufacturer, service etc. and in another drop down for Manufacuterer type such as plastic, steel etc.

is it correct to create seperate databases and if so how do i accomplish the drop downs. i know i need to create a set out of these but not sure how to create the dropdowns or if this is the correct way
      The term "database" no longer has any meaning. In the old days, it meant that to which you are referring, Now, what was a database are now tables and the database is the application itself. Well, that's no longer true either, the term "database" is now called a "workspace". However, I don't like that term as it is like referring to a vehicle as transportation. While a vehicle certainly is a form of transportation, it's too general in nature.

To answer your question, based on what you describe, you will have 3 tables, the main table with the company info and 2 lookup tables. I prefer to use lkup_tablename or in your case, lkup_manufacturers withe the fields being the manufacturer name, type, etc. You are posting in the web forum but your question appears to be for the desktop so perhaps you can clarify as the procedure to set this up is a bit different in each.
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Bill,

Your lookups will depend on if they are fixed list or the list can be added to. If they can be added to, then they will have to be in separate tables. These table do not need to be added to the Set for data entry, but you might need another Set for reporting. The power of that is you can create a reverse Set with Types as the parent.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Bill,

I think you can go ahead and put your lists each in a separate table and then create a set. But I use one table for all my categories and separate them by type and then order them by a number. But I don't think it matters how you set it in the database structure. It was easier for me when designing forms to use the same lookup table for all the forms. I'm not sure if it will make a difference if on the Web-side or the desktop but I only have a small amount of experience on the web-side. Ken indicates that the setup is a little different on the web-side. Ken - how so? Why would it make a difference?

Sean

Comment

The concept is the same. In the app I'm building now I have a Master List keyed by DropDownID which is used in 49 different drop-down lists. In the old days this might have been 49 tables. However, A5 gives you all of the flexiablity to use one table and filter it by the drop-down list.

Comment

[QUOTE]Ken indicates that the setup is a little different on the web-side. Ken - how so? Why would it make a difference?Sean[/QUly.OTE]

I assume we’re comparing Desktop to Web.

You will need to create tables but the field rules are not necessary. There is a check box to indicate if a tables field rules are to be enforced but as far as I can tell, it doesn’t have any effect. The nice thing about a grid is that you can utilize any one of the 3 parts (Table view, Search and Details or any combination. I especially like the search features as it works flawlessly and is very easy to set up. Following the yellow brick road in setting this up is also pretty straight forward although there will be a question or two here and there.

IMHO, the grids and Dialogs look pretty cool without any changes but switching to a different style is nothing more than choosing a different style in a dropdown box. Most styles can be modified just as it is in the desktop although it’s a bit different in how it’s done.
              The drawback is that a grid and dialog utilize HTML ad if you aren’t familiar with that, you are a bit cramped (that’s me). That said, you can still do a lot with the built in genies so don’t let HTML slow ya down any. Any grids or dialogs you create can be put on a form via the Super Control Tool. However, the Images feature pack cannot be put on a form.

If i'm understanding other's comments, you can access the desktopo app via a browser but it take a bit more effort to achieve that. AOn the other hand a browser can access you web compiled appo pretty easilt but others will need to adress that but look at post #17 or there abouts for some insight.

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken, you lost me. Why will it make a difference at the table level if we are using the desktop or web? Are you saying that the lookup field rules are not used on the web app? So, how is the lookup populated on the web app?

Sean

Comment

Yes, that's what I'm sayiing. There are lookup field rules but it's much faster and easier to create a lookup field. No Code, nuttin', nada, zippo. Field property-> Lookup, Dropdown or Auto Suggest, choose which fields you want to appear in the lookup,choose the template as to how it should appear and walla, it's done. Ther are a bunch of other options to fine tune it but it's good to go the way it is. Ya can't do that on a form whill take more that twice the steps and then you still have formating to do.

When setting up a grid, there is a column of fields form which to choose ofr the table view, search and detail view. Choose as many as you want for each. In the search part, say you want to search for a last name. Once the last name field is placed in the search part, there is a whole 'ton' of properties which appears in another column on the right. Check the lookup property and more options become available. You can have a drop down box or an auto suggest list which shows the names as you type. Not just none but all the names in alphabetical order. Choose the name and click the button to fetch the record. I only have the necessary fields in the table view part of the grid and you can set it up to view the persons details by clicking whichever field you choose.

You can also place buttons to the right, left bottom or top of the grid to perform other functions such as opening a linked table (No need for sets, etc. Linking a table is quite easy as well. You can also have tabbed controls or tabbed objects to place more buttons and fields on just as you would a form.

In essence, you create the tables and then the grids or dialogs. No sets or browses. You can use any report or letter or label. It's really pretty cool. The most time consuming part is figuring out what all the properties do as there are an aweful lot of them. Once you get through the 'basic' learning curve, one can throw together a quick n dirty app in less time than the desktop and in less time, at least for me. Why, because I don't have to any properties to make it look good. I comes out of the hatchery lookin' quite nice. After that, your imagination is the only limit.
                  Last edited by forskare; 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Ken,

thanks. I can't wait to try this out. Do you know if these same features were in version 9?

Now, I already have my tables set up. I was thinking all I had to do was create a new way of presenting the data using the browser based app instead of the desktop app. My practice of keeping all my categories in a single table will still work, right? I mean, I'm assuming the controls for the grid work similarly to the lookup field rules in the table. Or should I start thinking about using separate tables for each type of category?

Sean

Comment

No, I do not but if any were, they would be few and far in between. I don't know what you mean or how you're using the table for more than just categories. I'm just guessing here but if I have more than a few categories, I put them in a table and use it as a lookup. Again, without knowing your setup, it's difficult to advise. I believe the feature packs began appearing in V10.5 and were incorporated into vv11.
                      Last edited by forskare; 12-03-2012, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X