Alpha Video Training

Thread: 1/2 character cut off at beginning of character field

Real Name
    Chris Spinney

Default 1/2 character cut off at beginning of character field

I have various labels with a character field for part number description. 98% of labels turn out fine. the other 2% seem to be missing 1/2 to 3/4 of the first character. doesn't matter if I make room for 60 characters (my field is 30 characters) or 28 or 30 or 31, etc. Word wrap is on. Alignment is right side horizontal, center vertical. Example I looked at is 22 Characters long "PLIERS LOCK 6" C CLAMP". Don't understand why A5 doesn't just wrap part to second line instead of cutting of about 75% of the leading "P". Field is set "always on top" (no others set this way)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Govindan Gandhi

Default Re: 1/2 character cut off at beginning of character field

hello

i may be totally wrong in interpretation of your question.
    I have various labels with a character field for part number description
    the way i interpret this is you have a field - character field that you are displaying in a form that you have designed.
    and the question is why the labels for that field are not long enough to fit the title even if you expand the size to whatever number.
    i would suggest
    1> ungroup them then individually you can expand each, the field and the label
    2> or double click on the item, label or the field to bring focus then you can adjust the size.
    hope i was thinking in your line.
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    ggandhi344@gmail.com
    1 914 924 5171

"Certified" Alphaholic Tim Kiebert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tim Kiebert

Try a different font.
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Real Name
    Chris Spinney

I tried various fonts, both bold and non bold with same result. Here is a sample. My label normally has room for 2 lines of text but even if I enlarge it to three lines, it doesn't matter. (the character field is only 30 characters long, so two lines should be plenty regardless of where it wraps). Somehow the calculations that A5 uses to determine the word wrap location seems to be at fault?

a5.JPG

Real Name
    Chris Spinney

Attachment 33917just want to try another attachment with a larger image.

Real Name
    Chris Spinney

I don't post too often so apologies for adding thoughts separatetly but in anticipation of a question, it doesn't matter if I change the width of the field, I still get the same results although the particular labels with the problem will change as A5 determines various word wrap. One thing I don't have room for is to have the entire field on one line (so wrap is necessary).
    Thanks again.

Real Name
    David Abbott

At Tim suggested above, do a test to see if the font makes a difference. In your shoes, I'd try a fixed width font like Courier. Not in Alpha, but another application, it was the point size that gave me problems, so you might want to change this slightly as another option.

If the change of font sorts out the chopping of the first character, then it's down to the rendering of the font and if you like a variable width font it'll be a case of trying variations, obviously.

Another elimination test you can do is using the default form, rather than the one you have set up yourself. Change the format of the offending fields one element at a time to that of your form to see the effects.

The above can be a bit time consuming, but I have found doing basic tests like the above sorts out many of my problems - mostly due to my lack of expertise, where I don't fully understand the consequences of (what might be in my mind is) quite a small change.

It might be teaching grandma to suck eggs, but only ever change one element at a time, then test. I've learnt the hard way (i.e. many wasted hours) that to change two elements means that you can't reach logical and provable conclusions
    Last edited by Esio Trot; 11-24-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: grammar

Real Name
    Ton Spies

Hi Chris,

I f y o u h a v e n o t f i x e d i t a l r e a d y.

I suppose you have aligned-right the field and the "2% with the truncated character" have long fieldcontents and you use a big font.
    If your label in the printer is wider (so larger) than declared in alpha. Look at the labelsize and choose a wider one or reduce the fontsize with 1.
    Let us know the results of your test.

Ton
    Most things are simple but unfortunately only after the first time