Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web Server - How Useful is It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Web Server - How Useful is It?

I don't know what you mean by Desktop Hybrid and I see the last two as the same. Browser-based or web-enabled, whatever we call it, it's still being served up by the WAS. How that WAS server is accessed is irrelevant. Matters not if only on the LAN or from the WAN, internet, web, whatever. And Ken's point about server security appropriate for any type of network.

Of course, if you have a properly fire-walled network it may be less critical to set up the security at the app level if ONLY allowing LAN access. I suppose this is a matter for debate. I would suggest that network guys would say setup the security anyway.

In my current desktop application I do not have a special security framework set up. If you get on my network you could mess with my database. Network security guys would freak. But this is one of the risks I take as a do-it-yourself developer. I have the LAN firewalled and have never had an intruder. I have some ports opened for my use only. But if someone targeted me I couldn't stop them.

I think I will have a better chance of securing my application and data using the WAS. Since I am not a programmer I don't quite understand how to do this on the desktop side. I get lost in the process. But the WAS and the A5 web components have a built-in security system. I'm not sure how robust these are but it's better than what I have now with my desktop app.

This may not be an issue for a professional developer but I have limited programming skills. From my point of view I favor using the WAS since it seems to be more future oriented. I like the desktop and it is not as hard as the WAS approach but I am afraid I am playing with fire when considering the security angle. Plus, I really want easy access to my data from anywhere. For me, the browser-based apps will eventually replace the desktop apps.

Sean

Originally posted by forskare View Post
    I Sean,

Thank you for your comment. It is very informative. As with anything new, Alpha has to feel their way along as well, hence the confusion. There are really 4 ways to access an app:
    1) Desktop Only
    2) Desktop Hybrid
    3) Browser Intranet
    4) Browser Internet

I have gone back and forth between Desktop Only, Desktop Hybrid and Browser based and have come to the following collusion which doesn't mean I know all the answers; far from it:

At this point, my thought is to develop an app as Browser Intranet unless there are valid reasons to go purely Desktop. While it is possible to have a Menu form on the Desktop which opens other forms, hence using an extensive array of grids and dialogs, I think that one would be better served to use the grids and dialogs sparingly, simply because when field names are changed and other changes are made, it can be quite tedious to track down the resulting errors in grids and dialogs. Of course the same is true with Web Only but at least there are no forms with which to interact.

Perhaps the bigger issue is knowing the ins and outs of setting up an app to run Internet and Intranet. The do's and don'ts etc. It's like we have all these pieces of a puzzle but little direction on how to put it together. For those new to the web part of the arena, one word I would use to sum it up is, "OUCH!"

Comment

Sean

I would imagine the security is solid in WAS but again you may want to start a new thread about getting security setup recommendations for WAS. I know I worry but if the system is mission critical or has customer data that may be private you cannot worry enough.
      Regards,

John W.
      www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

And Ken's point about server security appropriate for any type of network.
        I believe John is the one who is pointing out the security and righfully so. For me it will be more important than the app since the data is highly critical.

Originally posted by jkwrpc View Post
        I know I worry but if the system is mission critical or has customer data that may be private you cannot worry enough.
        Yes, John. Your are very correct. This is one thing that could keep me awake at night.
        TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Quite right. Got mixed up. Thank you Ken, and John.

Comment

Please can i run Alpha 5 application server on the same server hosting Sharepoint server?

Comment

gbenga,

You are much better off starting your own thread especially when you question is so off topic of this thread. You will most likely get more lookers and possible responses with your own thread.
              Jeff Ryder

Comment

Please can i run Alpha 5 application server on the same server hosting Sharepoint server?
                Is a Sharepoint server just a normal Windows server that has Sharepoint running on it? Or is there something special about a Sharepoint server? If it is a normal server, then yes you can run A5 Web application server (WAS) on that machine. If Sharepoint hogs the Port 80/443 you will have to deal with that by running Alpha on some other port like 81.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

I believe you still need IIS to run Sharepoint apps on the web. This should have no impact on WAS. Sharepoint as you know is the way you create an MS Access web application. That made many Access developers upset. Sharepoint added another level of complexity to Access applications. There many other uses for Sharepoint for workflows and collaboration.

I do not know about port numbers but I would doubt it claim the default IIS port, since both come from MS.
                  Regards,

John W.
                  www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Working...
                  X