Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web Server - How Useful is It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Web Server - How Useful is It?

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    Ken, he's talking about a desktop app:
    Funny how two people see it different ways.
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Now, two things just so it is understood:

1. If a person goes to your pages on the server and opens them with something like aptana(free), they can muck with them all they want. Suggest you protect against that? Remember that they may be named a bit different, but are still web pages.

2. At some later date, the app could be placed on a host site if you needed.
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your input. I appreciate your comments.

A couple of follow-up questions to whomever:

1) Are A5w pages needed when a web app is only run on an intranet?
        2) If not, I presume a form containing a super control dialog will be used?

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

1) Are A5w pages needed when a web app is only run on an intranet?
          2) If not, I presume a form containing a super control dialog will be used?
          It is irrelevant whether the app is Internet or Intranet, you build it (pretty much) the same. Yes you need A5W pages to serve as the container for any A5 component. Even the TabbedUI is run inside an A5W page.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve,

Very well said.

An a5w page is kinda like html/xhtml with alpha components in it and usually a css file that controls it to some degree. It usually contains javascript and if you do it right, it utilizes ajax if written correctly.

You will(unless something has changed) need to put it on a windows server. That could be any of the Microsoft servers or a windows desktop like windows xp/win7/etc properly prepared.

Others will check what I said here and correct me if I blipped.

Unless you make sure to lock out others from entering the folder a5webroot(I think), the can mess with your pages by opening them with any number of apps like notepad and changing things. Your data can be kept in another folder in dbf, sql, etc, so it may be a bit safer. Putting the site on a host like zebrahost could be an option IF you need the extra security from the people in the company. You know your client better than any of us, so??

An a5w page opened with aptana in edit mode. This is a very simple feedback but makes my point.
            Last edited by DaveM; 11-24-2012, 04:21 PM.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Unless you make sure to lock out others from entering the folder a5webroot(I think), the can mess with your pages by opening them with any number of apps like notepad and changing things.
              (see Edit below) No this is completely inaccurate. I was not sure what you meant when you said it earlier. There is no way at all for anyone to modify any of your pages and ther is no "lock" to set on the A5Webroot or other folders. Any one can open your public pages, but cannot save them back to the server.

Edit -> Unless we are still talking about Intranet and users who are INSIDE the corporate LAN firewall, and have been granted file access permission to the web server, those guys can open files in Notepad and save them back to the web server. But that is ONLY valid for guys inside the LAN firewall with access permission.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

The next version my desktop application (already under construction) will be a browser based desktop app. There are many reasons for doing it, though I remain a fan of true client/server desktop apps. Server administration is not something I am fond of, and is not something I as a developer want to take on. So even though it will be a browser based app, I will not tend to a server, they can find a network person to do that.

I just caution you and your client to remember if their system is connected to the internet proper server security is essential. The web guru's here can give enough guidance to make sure server and app are not open to the public.

Do let us know how it goes and if you are happy with the browser based app.
                Regards,

John W.
                www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Ken,

I debated long and hard about doing my apps in a lan based fashion as you are about to do. The only reason for not doing so was the price of the server at 499.00(even with discounts for volume), it did not make sense to me. The difference is that you are doing it for one company that will not have a problem with the price. I have 29 apps out there that are very large from the years of work. The other reason was the time it takes to completely rewrite a large web app that may have to be redone over and over as alpha/windows evolves.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

You guys are somethin' else. I so appreciate all the interaction here and I know many others are probably following this thread. I have two apps, one for me personally which really needs to go web with tight security and the other for my client which can go either way. M client has a who is trusted completely that is setting up the network and maintaining it. Until it finally pull the plug and tell the county, "adios", my time is somewhat limited. The client wants the app to be as simple as possible but has no idea what it's all about. They created a one table app with A4v8 and do some stuff with MS Word. My job is to put it all together. I really like a lot of the web stuff the grids and dialogs have to offer but since I'm new at that part of it, there's a learning curve to deal with. I am not strong at all in Xbasic but I can do a pretty good job putting together a nice app with the tools Alpha has to offer. Usually, once I get some code, I am able to make the changes so it works for me.

I would very much like to do the clients app as a web intranet as once I get the "hang of it", That, to me will be the best of today and tomorrow. I've been trying to follow the documentation on the a5w page stuff and how it's set up. I've searched the videos but have not found anything which shows how the a5w page will interact. I viewed the New to Alpha Software video and although it's a good video, it only shows how to do a sql connection. Que Lastima !

If you know of a specific video tutorial or article which deals with the who, what when, where and how of the a5w page, please make reference to it. I've look briefly at the list of tutorials but have not seen any that provides info on a5w pages. Thanks for all the help!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                      It is irrelevant whether the app is Internet or Intranet, you build it (pretty much) the same. Yes you need A5W pages to serve as the container for any A5 component. Even the TabbedUI is run inside an A5W page.
                      Steve, how then is the A5w page opened? It can't be placed on a form so obviously there has to be done via a browser on the company computers. When the browser is opened, how is that 'not' going onto the internet?

Comment

The a5w page does indeed opened in a browser and it runs on the alpha five web application server, and that can be Internet or Intranet. An Intranet runs on a browser.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                          ...Yes you need A5W pages to serve as the container for any A5 component. Even the TabbedUI is run inside an A5W page.
                          Except when you put a grid, etc on a desktop form you don't need an a5w page.
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Ken -

It seems you may be misunderstanding a bit about browsers, web pages, etc.

A browser is nothing more than another program, whose main purpose is to open and display "web pages", that is, documents so constructed to be used with a browser.

A browser works just fine and dandy without being connected to anything, including the internet, intranet, etc.

If you like, try this:

- copy and paste the following code into plain old Windows Note Pad
                            - save is as whatever.a5w (you can name it what you want, just make sure the extension is a5w
                            - if you want, disconnect from "the net" :)
                            - in your fave browser, go File > Open > select this file and guess what :)

Code:
                            <!DOCTYPE html>
                            <html>
                            <body>

<h1>My First Web Page</h1>

<p>My first paragraph.</p>

</body>
                            </html>
                            Your A5 web app is nothing more than a collection of these documents, served up by the WAS, and displayed in a web browser instead of running as a desktop application.

Who has access to them is solely dependent upon how the network where the WAS is located is set up.

It can be internal, external, a combination or even just on you own computer, if you want :)
                            Cheers!
                            Lyle Chamney
                            http://www.2ninerniner2.com/
                            Websites rebuilt with WordPress
                            http://goodcheapfastwebsites.com/
                            Complete, ready to install WordPress websites
                            http://snifflevalve.com
                            WordPress training and tutorials

Comment

hello

When the browser is opened, how is that 'not' going onto the internet?
                              i have a similar set up that i run in my business without any problem.
                              when you serve your own website via intranet, the server lies somewhere in your property. and you access the content via an address in the browser something like in windows 192.168.0.0/index.a5w unless port 80 is used then add appropriate port suffix to the address.
                              since these are local network ousiders will not be able to reach even with port forwarding you have to tell them proper address for people to access your page.

web publishing tutorial in alphapedia is a good place to see this topic discussed.

basically browser sends a html page with some request from the server and the server sends back the answer thru the bowser back.
                              a5w page is just another html page that contains a5 code that the a5 server intercepts and decodes the code and send the page to the server and the answer is sent back thru the browser to the person asking the information.

the advantage for me while this is still an intranet, since i know the address i can reach from anywhere and know what is happening at the job and actually carry out the work as if i were at work.

when you publish outside and let people see, you have to be careful. separate the pages public can see and keep yours private by using page security.

hope this helps.
                              if i am wrong any of my statements please correct me.
                              edit: for your own computer something like localhost/index.a5w
                              Last edited by GGandhi; 11-24-2012, 06:33 PM.
                              thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                              mysql backend
                              http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                              [email protected]
                              1 914 924 5171

Comment

A browser works just fine and dandy without being connected to anything, including the internet, intranet, etc.
                                Cool, OK, now a light bulb came on. Clicking on a shortcut on the desktop, for example has a path straight to the in-house server. A big gap's been bridged.

I copied and pasted the code into Wordpad and saved it as my1st.a5w. Opened the browses, File, Open, naved to the file and opened. It aske what to open with and I chose IE, it opened the document showing the code. If that is what I should have seen, the doc could have contained anything cuz what I did was open the document with the browser. Correct?

Hey Lyle, how about those Flames? Probably skating on the same rink as the Wild in Jamaica

Comment

Working...
                                X