Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Version 12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Version 12?

I was recently checking out the AlphaSoftware channel on YouTube. Currently there are around 12+ videos about features in AlphaFive version 12! I have an A5 subscription and I haven't received any info regarding version 12 availability. Is this an oversight or has A5 released training videos for a new version without releasing any information about when the V12 will be available?

Re: Version 12?

John - very interesting, indeed!
    Cheers!
    Lyle Chamney
    http://www.2ninerniner2.com/
    Websites rebuilt with WordPress
    http://goodcheapfastwebsites.com/
    Complete, ready to install WordPress websites
    http://snifflevalve.com
    WordPress training and tutorials

Comment

A couple weeks ago I got an "invitation" to view an A5 webinar showing the new mobile features overview w. Selwyn & Bob Moore.

Today I got an email with a bunch of videos showing new features (although I think this one is not v12, just new features).
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

You must be viewed as special Peter. It would be nice to know what's coming as a subscriber so one can plan their projects. It get nothing.
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
        Albert Einstein, (attributed)
        US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

I'm also a subscriber but I've received nothing.
          Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Well, needless to say, I'm not "special". I would contact Richard and find out why you are not getting messages.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Or check the announcements forum. (December News) for V12 sneak peeks...
              Bill Griffin
              Parkell, Inc

Comment

Thanks for the direction Bill but..
                although I think this one is not v12, just new features
                I'm not really interested in V12 until it arrives (I've seen it all) - Peter was talking about new features, I'm keen to see that. Once again thanks.
                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

In regards to the sneak peek, since Richard said "the next MAJOR release of Alpha" and he was talking about other features along with new mobile features introduced in the webinar (V12), I read that as V12. Could be wrong, but I would say that there may not be any more MAJOR releases of V11. But who knows, I've been surprised before.
                  Bill Griffin
                  Parkell, Inc

Comment

There will need to be Major Releases in V11 as it's not complete. However, I would say as a subscriber that is irrelevant, as every change is just expected, UNLESS when we subscribe to Alpha, and V11 and V12 are two different things requiring a new or revised subscription, that will be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                      There will need to be Major Releases in V11 as it's not complete. However, I would say as a subscriber that is irrelevant, as every change is just expected, UNLESS when we subscribe to Alpha, and V11 and V12 are two different things requiring a new or revised subscription, that will be an issue.
                      Pete, as I see it, that are a lot of "assumptions" in your statement above:

need : Why would Alpha need to do that? Based on what obligation?
                      Major Releases : Which would mean you are saying they did not yet deliver what you purchased and that the lacking functionality is even huge?
                      it's not complete : As opposed to WHAT exactly? What defines "complete"? Is there a delivery manifest on v11 we all agreed upon?
                      as a subscriber that is irrelevant : Why? Is the subscriber any different as a user with regards that he would like the functionality as soon as possible?
                      V11 and V12 are two different things requiring a new or revised subscription : Why would it need a new or revised subscription?

One of the disadvantages of subscription systems is, that it takes the heat of delivering new functions in time of the manufacturer: he gets paid anyway each month. As opposed to the license-pay-once system, where the customer simply will not buy (and pay for) anything he does not like. In case of severe lack of functionality in the first case the customer will complain, in the latter case the customer will not pay his money. This will bring pressure on delivering what the customer wants in time. Subscription will not.

As I see it, there are still a lot of questions remaining with the subscription system. For instance: suppose you work with the desktop environment solely and have paid $169 for the developer version. Now you are supposed to pay $129 a month? That is over the average version life-cycle period of lets say 2 years more then 18 times more expensive?? For items you would not need? Where is the benefit in that for the customer?

Furthermore, you may cancel your subscription any time (well, let's be honest: that is a cigar from your own box since if you do not pay for any monthly subscription anymore how would they get the money anyway if you live on the south-pole or any other far country??) but what exactly happens when you cancel your subscription? May you still use what you have? Or do all your rights of using the software stop immediately? I am not certain about that.

I would be in favor of a subscription system where you could build your own subscription with building blocks like "desktop", "webapps", "mobile", "WAS", and so on, with corresponding subscription prices. For now, there is no reason to order and pay for things you won't need as I see it.

In between, I do not expect any more spectacular updates on v11 since it seems obvious v12 is just on the verge of breaking through. I hope this will bring good new stuff. And when it is, I will certainly purchase it unless it can only be purchased by entering the full subscription system, which I will not. Good stuff for me however will need to include good stuff for the desktop. And I ain't holding my breath for that to happen looking at the differences for the desktop between v9 and v11 which were, in my humble opinion, almost not even worthwhile. But that is just me.

Comment

I don't have any inside information, but I do have the advantage of perspective from having watched and used Alpha since back in the DOS days. It helps to think there is only one copy of Alpha, and that is the current copy that is kept in a hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar on the front porch (bonus points for anyone getting that reference). The "releases" and "versions" are just snapshots of the on-going development whenever they choose to take one. On that basis, release of a "beta" signals the end of any releases of the prior version because there is no prior version that exists separate from the current version. In this sense, the on-going subscription matches the development model.

I'm not fond of paying rent, but I make my living using Alpha, and most of the people who want my help are using the newest version, so I need to keep up to stay in business. There are also lots of people who are using an older version (warts and all) very satisfactorily until they see a new capability they can't live without and want help moving to the latest version. As a user, stop any time. As a developer, stay on the subscription.
                        Pat Bremkamp
                        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Bremkamp View Post
                          As a user, stop any time. As a developer, stay on the subscription.
                          Or..... move to competition, who, as I couldn't help notice, have dropped their prices considerably yesterday.
                          Paying less and being able to export full .NET also has his advantages. But I won't promote anything other then Alpha Five here.

Point is: one always has a choice and doesn't need to be forced into anything.

This is a customers' market: there are more then enough products out there of equal quality.
                          This is not the moment to force a pricey sales-model upon your customers. If you do so, others will see that and profit from it.
                          From one of our colleagues here I heard the lower price at some other manufacturer was due to what they read over here about the upcoming new subscription enforcement.
                          Nobody is asleep nowadays, especially competition is 'loudly awake'. As a developer, I have to deal with this, but as a manufacturer, it is not much different for Alpha.

I support your view on the snapshot phasing by the way. I suppose indeed that is how it is actually done.

For the rest, I hope they come to their senses and don't change a €169 purchase into a € 3.096 alternative. Would be nice if the "cafeteria model" came into life.

Comment

Marcel,

I can't agree with your notion that subscription pricing removes Alpha's incentive to add functionality. First, Alpha is looking to attract new customers, not just keep what they have. From a sales perspective, under a subscription, each newly added major feature increases the chance that a new customer subscribes at any time, instead of waiting six to nine months down the road to purchase a newly released version. From a competitive perspective, they don't have the luxury to stand pat. They're in a very competitive environment and need to keep improving. Lastly, the passion the Alpha team exhibits in their product and development is practically tangible. I think they're generally excited about the product and would keep adding great functionality regardless of the pricing scheme.

I recently "purchased" a two year subscription at a very attractive price. I say "purchased" because it gives me a permanent right/license to v11 and ALL its feature packs, and allows me to upgrade to v12 when released. However, should I upgrade to v12 I WILL NOT have a permanent license, and my right to use ends if my subscription ends. This was made clear to me. As a corporate user, I'm not as concerned, but I can certainly understand the angst of SOHO or other developers. At the very least, Alpha should provide some kind of depreciated buy-out of whatever current version a developer is using.

Comment

I was in the subscription business for 20 years, we lived or died on renewals, to keep them (subscriber) we had to ensure they didn't have a reason to look elsewhere, you also have to manage the un-earned income account and draw the revenue as it's earned over the life of the subscription, it's a difficult thing to do, but if you don't you start with a lump of cash and end on the skids - then you have to be creative and develop another way to add more income - "it's gold plating" the the same product and charging additional or an increased subs for it. My point about subs for V11 and V12 is you will do not need both, so one will host the other, the amount doesn't bother me as we are commercial developers as well, but what does bother me is you can only gold plate so many times, then what? And how affordable will it be for the cottage SOHO businesses. Keep in mind all good things start small, good things come from small developers, they need to be able to be in the game. Anyhow 12:42am going to bed.

Marcel - as for what was the agreement in what was going to delivered in V11, well that website just does no exist any more, so I suppose that's that, except for those of us who can remember..

Comment

Working...
                              X