Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

App Server and Classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

App Server and Classes

Hi,

I am trying to use classes within an AEX file for a web application but am not getting the results expected when running the code under the Application Server compared to the developer (both are latest version and build 3044-4041).

When I run this code in the interactive window, I get the expected results (essentially, just echoing back the config file name):
    dim trConf as xmlConfiguration = new xmlConfiguration("C:\A5Webroot\portalConfig.xml")
    ?"Config file: " + trConf.cFile
    = "Config file: C:\A5Webroot\portalConfig.xml"

However when I copy and paste the code into a web page and run it with the App Server I get this:
    Config file:

The classes are very basic:
    #### Base Class ####
    define class global configuration

dim cFile as c

function configuration as c(configFile as c)
    cFile = configFile
    end function

end class

#### Sub-class ####
    define class global xmlConfiguration INHERITS configuration

dim protected dom as p
    dim protected queryStr as c

function xmlConfiguration as c(configFile as c)
    cFile = configFile
    end function

function protected parseXML as v()
    'Load the XML file into a variable
    xml = get_from_file(cFile)
    dom = *XML_Document(xml)
    end function

function getValue as c(tag as c,type as c)

queryStr = "*tag = '" + tag + "' .and. name = '" + type + "'"

parseXML()
    q = dom.QueryElement(queryStr)
    getValue = q.Output("*value")
    end function

end class

The intention is to build the base class out to be able to use different file and database types that could be shared between projects. The classes are in an aex file called shared_code.aex which is under the document root - C:\A5Webroot\classes. The web page is finding and using the correct aex but does not seem to be setting the cFile property when run under the App Server.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Let me know if additional info is needed.

-Doug

Re: App Server and Classes

Have you tried to use instead global namespaces:

define class myglobal::configuration

and so on.

Comment

That did the trick.

Thanks, Ken.

Comment

After implementing the namespace bit, I am now experiencing an issue with methods from parent classes not being recognized. I don't think is has anything to do with using the namespaces because the previous classes that were working without the namespaces are suddenly not recognizing functions from their parent classes.

For example, I have a class that sends emails and another which inherits this class that logs errors and sends emails with the error info. In the parent emailing class there is a method 'sendIt' which is called from a method named 'errorEmailDB' in the subclass. Yesterday it was working fine, logging the message in the database and sending off the email. However, today when trying to run the code in the interactive window I get a 'function was not recognized error', though I had not changed the classes at all. Possibly I am calling the methods incorrectly? Not sure since there is not much documentation on creating and using subclasses in xbasic. Would I need to create an instance of the parent class to call the method within the child method?

Another note - anytime I try to save a new subclass, alpha crashes. After restarting I notice the subclass name declaration is mangled and it is necessary to clean that up in order to save the subclass again. Is there a forum to report bugs like this?

Thanks, -Doug

Comment

I have had similar problems. Here is very simple example.
          I have in respository(dbf) a key data value pair: demo123 = From Respository Data

I have this code in .a5w page
          Code:
          <%a5 
          define class myglobal::myclass

function public myclass as C()
          	dim global dog as P
          	dog.name = "nemo"
          	dog.other = "mono"
          	dim global dogdata as C
          	dogdata = property_to_string(dog)
          	a5w_savetowebapprepository("nemomono",dogdata)
          end function

function public readres as C()
              dim txtone as C = dog.other
          	dim txttwo as C = a5w_getfromwebapprepository("demo123")
          	readres = txttwo + dog.name + txtone
          end function

end class       

dim dest as myglobal::myclass = new myglobal::myclass()

? dest.readres()
          ? "<br>"
          ? a5w_getfromwebapprepository("demo123")
          %>
          When I run this output is:
          nemomono
          From Respository Data

It should be:
          From Respository Datanemomono
          From Respository Data

This means that in method readres() function a5w_getfromwebapprepository("demo123") fails.
          Also in constructor function a5w_savetowebapprepository("nemomono",dogdata) fails and so no data is added to respository.

Edit: built 3119-4055 this problem(constructor->a5w_savetowebapprepository() -> dbf) has been solved in future versions
          Last edited by kkfin; 12-21-2012, 11:52 AM. Reason: added edit

Comment

Working...
          X