Alpha Video Training

Thread: zebrahost - how to change data location

"Certified" Alphaholic richard2007's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Harris

Default zebrahost - how to change data location

i'm having a problem trying to change the data location for my application which i have just uploaded to Zebra Host. i am getting the login page but cant get any further as it cant find the tables.

• I havent installed Alpha5 developer on to Zebra as i have just uploaded via FTP the Database Folder (tables, reports etc) from my pc to a folder on Zebra Host.
    • I have published the web components using FTP in Alpha5
    • I have changed the Data Alias in Project Settings to the correct folder on Zebra Host
    • i have restarted the WAS on ZH

can anyone help with this?

thanks

richard

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: zebra host - how to change data location

For DBF applications, the tables responsible for login are not in the same folder as the rest of the data. They are instead in the webroot, named websecurity*.*.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Richard Harris

sorry, should have explained this better. the problem is finding the dbf tables as the application has now changed location. this is the error once the user has logged in.

500 Internal Server Error
    Script Error
    Error:Script:" /login_check.a5w" line:48
    session.employeename = table.external_record_content_get("[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\t
    Error loading [PathAlias.ADB_Path]\tstaff.dbf: The system cannot find the path specified.
    D:\Company\Mortgage Manager\tstaff.dbf
    the new path for the tables on ZH is c:\a5wv11\data\mortgage manager

Real Name
    Steve Wood

You need to go to the project, open your publishing profile and find the Aliases. Change it to: [PathAlias.ADB_Path] = c:\a5wv11\data\mortgage manager and then publish any one file to your server. Sometimes you have to restart the WAS after this.

Also, advised to not have embedded spaces in your data path as in "mortgage manager". It may work now, but it will bite you at some point.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Richard Harris

thanks steve,

i had changed the data in Aliases to [Data] = C:\a5v11\data\MortgageManager but had left pathalias as [PathAlias.ADB_Path] = =a5.get_path().

thanks

richard

Volunteer Moderator drgarytraub's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

I have a similar issue - not understanding aliases that well. I have my data located in a folder completely outside of the a5 folder. I have defined an alias called mydata and defined it as the exact path to my data. I know this part is correct because I can access the tables via xbasic. However, when creating a new grid, it seems to default to localhost and thus looks in the a5 folder for the data. What do I need to do???
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

When creating a new grid based on DBF the tables have to be registered under the Tables tab on the control panel. The table can be anywhere, but typically it is best that they reside inside your project folder. And if you create a new table it will automatically be stored inside your project folder. The only way to reference a table that is not inside your project folder is to right-click in the Tables tab and select Add Table, browse to find your table.

Now when you publish your project, the data can be published to anywhere at your target location. Your web pages can be at c:\a5\a5webroot\myproject while your tables can be published to c:\a5\overhere\mylocation. The only requirement is that under Profiles, your Alias for that publishing profile has to specify [PathAlias.ADB_Path] = c:\a5\overhere\mylocation. Actually, that is technically true, you can publish data anywhere, but you would have to set up your FTP appropriately. In my above example, FTP would have to point to c:\a5.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, being that I have a master password for the database and encryption on various tables, this does not seem to work. When trying to add the encrypted table to the v12 control panel, it gives an error saying that table cannot be found or table is encrypted with a different key. Do you know of any way around this?
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

that's a different question sounds like migrating to v 12. So unencrypted them in v11 for the test. 're encrypt later in v12.
    Steve Wood

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by drgarytraub View Post
    Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, being that I have a master password for the database and encryption on various tables, this does not seem to work. When trying to add the encrypted table to the v12 control panel, it gives an error saying that table cannot be found or table is encrypted with a different key. Do you know of any way around this?

Before you migrate to V12 setup a test project with exactly the same file structure as you have now.
    Test all the behaviors like encryption master Database password watch file encrypts compatibility.
    Special attention to the session var [must be char type no date or int allowed to run under V12 WAS ++ also read about session.protected ulink etc
    Check the V11 wiki and V11 + release notes also on changes to DBF behavior and structure like indexes and functions. There is no V12 Wiki at the moment.

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Hi again Steve and Eric,

Actually that is not the plan. I just want to use v12 to do a few things but essentially share the data with the other app. This is just to give a few mobile features. I tried unencrypting etc but get an error msg that the table is bound to another workspace.

So, what i have done is simply create a new project in the original applications folder, and thus have access to all those tables. I am hoping that this is "safe" to do. I would guess that certainly I would not want to edit any project files in the prior alpha version. But would you guys suggest other caveats or even a "no, don't do that - you're asking for trouble."
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

You need to remove the master password to logically move the tables around.

I cannot remember the problems with creating a second project in the same folder but I know there are some. I believe when you create a new grid in the second project location, it saves it to the Default location, but I don't remember.
    Steve Wood

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    eric

During V12 Beta and later Alpha made some changes towards the security segment you will have check the official release notes what that is and the impact on behavior because you want to "share" the security tables management, so to be honest i know don't or you will get conflicts in that area when you use 2 versions in one <older> project.

I follow Steve in his answer there where troubles using <subfolders> in project directories never understood why or it is fixed.

Perhaps you should mail Selwyn for a official answer in request or your idea's might work and what potential trouble area's are or not.

As you ask for suggestions:
    think about the option to move your security tables to a sql backend.. Pending on that is <A5> standard or you extended that with your tables, field and DBF rules plus the impact of adjustment in your present source code

Given that you can create a new root project file folder outside current AMA 5.0 and share the data.
    Your first main concern is can Database passwords and table encryption been used at the same time in different A5 versions < with separated project "root folders" > . If that works without problems you have more safe options to create new stuff in the V12 mobile part area. As said earlier u need positive conformation from Selwyn and then test it.