Alpha Video Training

Thread: Grid- how to display content of drop down box dynamic list from table in record order

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Default Grid- how to display content of drop down box dynamic list from table in record order

New to the web side of things.

I am populating a drop down box in grid with data from a dbf table. The default seems to be to order the list alphabetically and I cannot see an option for the order. I would like to be able to change this to record order or preferably be able to control the order using a different field that contains numbers allowing me the future ability to adjust the order if something new is added to the list.

I've tried searching the forum and help but couldn't find anything.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers

Geoff

"Certified" Alphaholic Keith Hubert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Default Re: Grid- how to display content of drop down box dynamic list from table in record o

Geoff,

Have you got a field with the value of the record number?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Default Re: Grid- how to display content of drop down box dynamic list from table in record o

Hi Keith,

Thanks for responding. No but I can add a field with a numeric value to order by. I just don't know how to implement an order based on it.

I'm really struggling to piece to together information from the various help resources for web application. Videos are helpful but seem to have replaced detailed help documentation which isn't helpful. Maybe the information is there and I'm just not using the correct search terms. I have also been looking for an example of copying a field or record from a parent grid (when double clicked) to a child grid. It's probably easy as I imagine it is a common requirement but can't find anything. Do I use xbasic? is there an action script genie? Where does the code go? Is there a worked example available? Questions for another thread which I'm sure I'll be posting soon as I'm coming up with nothing at the moment. I'm surprised there aren't more example databases for the web included considering this is where they are putting most of the effort for new sales.

It may start coming together once I have climbed the learning curve but at the moment I feel I'm lost in the wilderness which I suspect is a common feeling for those new to the software.

Anyway any help you can provide is appreciated even if it is just steering me to the relevant help resource.

Thanks

Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Geoff,

When you create the choices of the dropdown, you can set the order there.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Keith,

I'm missing the obvious because I cannot see an input for the order. I have attached a picture of the set-up menu just in case we are looking at different things. Do you have an example (picture) of what/where to enter?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Hi Geoff,

Looks like you are correct, I cant see how to set the Order of a DBF lookup. I can do this with SQL.

I know that does not help just at this time, but I was advised that all web development should be done with SQL type tables rather than DBF.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Thanks Keith. At least I know I'm not going mad and the option doesn't exist.

Real Name
    Jeff

While it may not be optimal, you can change your display value to an expression that includes the field that you want to order by, which will then order the drop down as you'd like.

For example, a dbf table that contains the months of the year with fields for month_name and month_number would not be in the expected order if you set the display value to month_name, as it would start with April and end with September. To get around that, change the display value to an expression like
    Code:
    str(month_num,2,0) + "-" + month_name
    which will give you the correct order ' 1-January' through '12-December'.

Real Name
    Tom Brondolo

Geoff

What I found to be a very powerful method for drop down lists is to create the list in the OnGridExecute event, set the list to a string variable and then refernce the variable in the drop down. In this method you can have complete control over the dropdown list content and order.

I also second the SQL only for WEB development advice. I started with .dbf's and soon switched everything to MYSQL, including security tables.

tom

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Thanks Jeff and Tom I'll look at both of your ideas and see which fits best.