Alpha Video Training

Thread: alpha with windows 8

Real Name
    Bill Sharp

Default alpha with windows 8

Is anyone running windows 8 , i am locked out of alpha since installing windows 8
    Would be obliged for any information to get in to my database.

Many Thanks
    Bill

Real Name
    John Willems

Default Re: alpha with windows 8

Bill

I had a number of threads about this over past several months. What I learned is v.10 is not Win 8 compatible and the most effective solution is to upgrade to v.11. You can try using one of windows compatibility modes but I had quirky results with them which is why I upgraded.

Real Name
    Bill Sharp

Many thanks for that, I have upgraded to v.11 and am back in business.

Bill

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

My question for anybody is why Windows 8??!! The reviews are not positive and compatibilities are as bad as with the looser Vista. Why upgrade to Win 8 and endure the problems?
    Mike W

Real Name
    John Willems

Mike
    I suspect many of us agree with you about Win 8, I have Win 8 on a laptop and use a shell to open it as a Win 7 desktop. The issue isn't whether why Win 8; its more of can we not have our applications support it. It is the shipping OS on all new Windows PCs so far as I know. I suspect most people want applications that run on their hardware and OS and not have to keep an OS just to support and third party apps.

I can say I prefer the Win 7 desktop, its what I have been using to for too many years, but not everything about Win 8 is bad.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Mike,

Totally agree, Win8 UI for desktops is deplorable (at least from my engineering-user perspective). I have hundreds of programs on my computer, including obscure, hardly-ever-used ones like HexEdit. But in a pinch I need that program pronto. Win8 does its best to hide everything but what you use most often, or just recently.

The interface is like an interactive advertisement, stuff flashing and updating all the time. If I watch long enough, I know the current weather all over the world.

I don't know if you are a Deep Purple fan, but it reminds me of what a fan shouted out just before they played Highway Star on the Made in Japan album. He shouted "Make everything louder than everything else". With Win8, everything is louder than everything else.

But I kept the upgrade and applied a 3rd party program named StartIsBack and now my UI looks just like Win7. It brought back my start menu and removed all of the Metro UI.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Andy Caps

HI,

I have a slightly different scenario - I already have A5V11 and after I installed the Windows 8 I tried to open a sample data base called "Students and Classes" - I got this message:

" Could not open or create multi-user-information file D:\Program Files\a5V11\Templates\Databases\Students and Classes\Students and Classes Sample.MUF"

I than tried to open a version from V10.5, V10, V9, V8 and V7 and got this message:

"Alpha Five is not licenced for this operating system. Contact Alpha Software at www.alphasoftware.com for upgrade information"

I can open and create V11 no problem its just the sample databases I cannot?

Any suggestions would be great - currently downloading the latest patch so will report any positive feedback post installation...

thanks
    Andy

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

The error message you mention (when opening the sample database) occurs when the user does not have read/write permission for the folder containing the database.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I downloaded win8 as it came out and saw a great advantage in upgrading to a5v11. I am pretty sure I could get v7 and above to work on win8(not positive), but why do it. I need my customers to be able to download and install into win 8 and run the application without a bunch of modifications.

Win 8 is not all that bad, I can still go to the desktop that looks like win7/xp and do everything I did before. That opening screen is ok for me. I can move the apps I want(via drag & Drop) to where I want them. So what is the big deal. It has been VERY stable to run the apps. I, like most others are still hunting for some stuff that seems to have gotten moved around(like windows update is now in the control panel). I still have xp3, win7, vista, Linux on other computers.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Michael Humby

We are running V10 on Windows 8 on several of our customers PCs, it runs OK provided that we change the shortcut 'compatibilty to run on Windows 7' and make sure that when running for the first time to right click and 'Run as Administrator'. Lots of our users have moved to Win 8 so it is imperative for us that V10 is compatible.

Michael
    www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wood View Post
    Win8 does its best to hide everything but what you use most often, or just recently.
    Win8 has not been created for the business industry but in order to regain market on the consumer section (read: mobile). And with that in mind, this system hugs the user who does not care about much more then his facebook, twitter and other social media account because he urgently needs to tell anyone that he "now is in the supermarket". Life does not come much more superficial then as is for the current teen generation. So why offer in-depth features for a crowd that only lives for the simple and thoughtless? A further example of this is the fact that the built in Email functionality not even supports POP accounts anymore..... "if it's not in the cloud, it can't be worth while" must be the thought. That said, Microsoft does a great job with Win8. It exactly does what it needs to do for its intended market. With a super-low action upgrade price and a smart marketing campaign they have what it takes to get it on the road to success. They will attend to the business corner of the market in a later version. Right now, given the crisis, that is not going to be your customer anyway, but the consumer who seeks his friends to find comfort, and wants to spend his money on it, is.

I have one of my machines equipped with Win8, and must say there are also highlights. Being one of them the super-fast start up in comparison to Vista Ultimate which took way too long. Until now it is much more stable then the Vista system which really has been a pain in the butt. But it really is worthy of a bit more exploring in order to learn about all its features that are present, but maybe hidden. If you can't find any application on the start panel page, right-click the mouse and choose "all apps". Much more informative as the good 'ol windows pre w8 program list.
    Last edited by mronck; 01-22-2013 at 04:17 AM.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Marcel,

Well said. I was in Best Buy today and suddenly realized the market for Win8. Rows of thin laptops and pads all running Win8. They danced around showing useless, but titillating information in ever-changing brightly colored squares -- like an advertizement or the backdrop of any modern newscast. They were all saying "take me home".
    Steve Wood

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilson View Post
    My question for anybody is why Windows 8??!! The reviews are not positive and compatibilities are as bad as with the looser Vista. Why upgrade to Win 8 and endure the problems?
    With MS it's like skip every other iteration of their OS - ME/Vista/Win-8. Autocad used to be the same way, maybe still is/don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by jkwrpc View Post
    Mike
    It is the shipping OS on all new Windows PCs so far as I know.
    Yes, but I'm quite sure you can still get v7 for some time to come.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Yes, but I'm quite sure you can still get v7 for some time to come.
    I am happy with Win8 PLUS adding a 3rd party utility called StartIsBack that brought back the full Start menu,which apparently is well hidden, but not removed in Win8.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Dave Mason

After a little testing, It seems like alpha apps in win8 when at the start pictures(I don't know the proper terms) start up much faster.
    Like this:
    Attachment 34574
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Tiles

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Aha! Lol
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Dave Mason

A little more.. I will post in General Questions.

I ran the check for win8 compatibility and a lot is going to have to be done.
    1. Alpha will HAVE to be in program files.
    2. It will have to have a FULL ininstall.
    3. It will have to comply with UAC.

There is more and since mine failed some parts and passed some parts, I will post the results in a thread on General Questions.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Banned

I am now encountering a problem that is (I assume for now) positioned somewhere between Alpha Five and the Windows 8 installation. Running xbasic from javascript on a component results in an error message. The exact same example works perfectly in Windows Vista but produces an error messages in Windows 8. Everything Alpha related is the same in both setups. And yes, I do have "active scripting" set to yes in the Alpha settings, and I have allowed for scripting to work in the standard browser. I have no clue whatever causes this, but it is with customer support now and Jerry Brightbill got my support request so I have good hopes he can solve this riddle.
    To me, it looks like something is not yet right in the chain of software and-or settings.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

to install alpha silently on windows, you can put a (space)/s as a command line function after the installer. I had to ask the rabin's how to install silently and Selwyn answered. All done by email in about 3 hours.

It really is very silent with NO choices.

I used a startup link like this:
    Attachment 34592
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Banned

I'm sorry Dave... but you lost me here... to what question exactly would installing Windows "silently" be the answer? I just don't see it, not trying to be condescending or something.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Marcel,

I have "Off the Shelf" software and other that I sell/give away. Some use shadowed tables and some are stand alone.

No need to confuse end users with what the application is made from/backend. Some would likely get a copy of alpha and try to "Improve" or "borrow". Others may show some of my competition what I use. None of this is good for me. I prefer my tools to be my knowledge only.

It is a different thought if I contract for someone who has alpha software or specifically wants alpha.

Let me add that the .net, c++, etc. are still not silent(I think). That certainly does not present a problem. In fact it can be a positive redirection.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46