Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

alpha with windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alpha with windows 8

Is anyone running windows 8 , i am locked out of alpha since installing windows 8
    Would be obliged for any information to get in to my database.

Many Thanks
    Bill

Re: alpha with windows 8

Bill

I had a number of threads about this over past several months. What I learned is v.10 is not Win 8 compatible and the most effective solution is to upgrade to v.11. You can try using one of windows compatibility modes but I had quirky results with them which is why I upgraded.
    Regards,

John W.
    www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Many thanks for that, I have upgraded to v.11 and am back in business.

Bill

Comment

My question for anybody is why Windows 8??!! The reviews are not positive and compatibilities are as bad as with the looser Vista. Why upgrade to Win 8 and endure the problems?
        Mike W

Comment

Mike
          I suspect many of us agree with you about Win 8, I have Win 8 on a laptop and use a shell to open it as a Win 7 desktop. The issue isn't whether why Win 8; its more of can we not have our applications support it. It is the shipping OS on all new Windows PCs so far as I know. I suspect most people want applications that run on their hardware and OS and not have to keep an OS just to support and third party apps.

I can say I prefer the Win 7 desktop, its what I have been using to for too many years, but not everything about Win 8 is bad.
          Regards,

John W.
          www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Mike,

Totally agree, Win8 UI for desktops is deplorable (at least from my engineering-user perspective). I have hundreds of programs on my computer, including obscure, hardly-ever-used ones like HexEdit. But in a pinch I need that program pronto. Win8 does its best to hide everything but what you use most often, or just recently.

The interface is like an interactive advertisement, stuff flashing and updating all the time. If I watch long enough, I know the current weather all over the world.

I don't know if you are a Deep Purple fan, but it reminds me of what a fan shouted out just before they played Highway Star on the Made in Japan album. He shouted "Make everything louder than everything else". With Win8, everything is louder than everything else.

But I kept the upgrade and applied a 3rd party program named StartIsBack and now my UI looks just like Win7. It brought back my start menu and removed all of the Metro UI.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

HI,

I have a slightly different scenario - I already have A5V11 and after I installed the Windows 8 I tried to open a sample data base called "Students and Classes" - I got this message:
              " Could not open or create multi-user-information file D:\Program Files\a5V11\Templates\Databases\Students and Classes\Students and Classes Sample.MUF"

I than tried to open a version from V10.5, V10, V9, V8 and V7 and got this message:
              "Alpha Five is not licenced for this operating system. Contact Alpha Software at www.alphasoftware.com for upgrade information"

I can open and create V11 no problem its just the sample databases I cannot?

Any suggestions would be great - currently downloading the latest patch so will report any positive feedback post installation...

thanks
              Andy

Comment

The error message you mention (when opening the sample database) occurs when the user does not have read/write permission for the folder containing the database.

Comment

I downloaded win8 as it came out and saw a great advantage in upgrading to a5v11. I am pretty sure I could get v7 and above to work on win8(not positive), but why do it. I need my customers to be able to download and install into win 8 and run the application without a bunch of modifications.

Win 8 is not all that bad, I can still go to the desktop that looks like win7/xp and do everything I did before. That opening screen is ok for me. I can move the apps I want(via drag & Drop) to where I want them. So what is the big deal. It has been VERY stable to run the apps. I, like most others are still hunting for some stuff that seems to have gotten moved around(like windows update is now in the control panel). I still have xp3, win7, vista, Linux on other computers.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

We are running V10 on Windows 8 on several of our customers PCs, it runs OK provided that we change the shortcut 'compatibilty to run on Windows 7' and make sure that when running for the first time to right click and 'Run as Administrator'. Lots of our users have moved to Win 8 so it is imperative for us that V10 is compatible.

Michael
                    www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                      Win8 does its best to hide everything but what you use most often, or just recently.
                      Win8 has not been created for the business industry but in order to regain market on the consumer section (read: mobile). And with that in mind, this system hugs the user who does not care about much more then his facebook, twitter and other social media account because he urgently needs to tell anyone that he "now is in the supermarket". Life does not come much more superficial then as is for the current teen generation. So why offer in-depth features for a crowd that only lives for the simple and thoughtless? A further example of this is the fact that the built in Email functionality not even supports POP accounts anymore..... "if it's not in the cloud, it can't be worth while" must be the thought. That said, Microsoft does a great job with Win8. It exactly does what it needs to do for its intended market. With a super-low action upgrade price and a smart marketing campaign they have what it takes to get it on the road to success. They will attend to the business corner of the market in a later version. Right now, given the crisis, that is not going to be your customer anyway, but the consumer who seeks his friends to find comfort, and wants to spend his money on it, is.

I have one of my machines equipped with Win8, and must say there are also highlights. Being one of them the super-fast start up in comparison to Vista Ultimate which took way too long. Until now it is much more stable then the Vista system which really has been a pain in the butt. But it really is worthy of a bit more exploring in order to learn about all its features that are present, but maybe hidden. If you can't find any application on the start panel page, right-click the mouse and choose "all apps". Much more informative as the good 'ol windows pre w8 program list.
                      Last edited by mronck; 01-22-2013, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Marcel,

Well said. I was in Best Buy today and suddenly realized the market for Win8. Rows of thin laptops and pads all running Win8. They danced around showing useless, but titillating information in ever-changing brightly colored squares -- like an advertizement or the backdrop of any modern newscast. They were all saying "take me home".
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
                          My question for anybody is why Windows 8??!! The reviews are not positive and compatibilities are as bad as with the looser Vista. Why upgrade to Win 8 and endure the problems?
                          With MS it's like skip every other iteration of their OS - ME/Vista/Win-8. Autocad used to be the same way, maybe still is/don't know.

Originally posted by jkwrpc View Post
                          Mike
                          It is the shipping OS on all new Windows PCs so far as I know.
                          Yes, but I'm quite sure you can still get v7 for some time to come.
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Yes, but I'm quite sure you can still get v7 for some time to come.
                            I am happy with Win8 PLUS adding a 3rd party utility called StartIsBack that brought back the full Start menu,which apparently is well hidden, but not removed in Win8.
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

After a little testing, It seems like alpha apps in win8 when at the start pictures(I don't know the proper terms) start up much faster.
                              Like this:
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X