Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

The Immortality of the PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Immortality of the PC

Further to recent posts here about desktop and mobile...

Over the last few years, there have been endless articles and discussions predicting the death of the PC. But can the PC really die? Surely what the PC lacks in mobility, it makes up for in productivity? Find out why the PC isn't going anywhere. Read this article now to discover why the PC is going to remain the pivotal locus of business productivity for years to come.

http://www.idgconnect-resources.com/...71DX1&L=870647

If link not working - essentially:

"> Blog Abstract
    Aaron Suzuki (Global) - Death of the PC? Not Going to Happen.
    Posted by Aaron Suzuki Company SmartDeploy 01/25/2013
    Aaron Suzuki (Global) - Death of the PC? Not Going to Happen.

We have all heard the discussions and read the articles detailing the demise of the PC. This is simply a bogus argument. There will be no death of the PC, not in 2013 nor in the years that follow. The "Post PC era" is better labeled the "PC-plus era". The reason why is very simple: productivity. I cannot (yet) use all 10 of my fingers on a touch-based device and make as much happen as fast as I can with a full-size keyboard with 101 keys. If this is true for me, I'm willing to bet this is true for others.

However, I agree that the portability of the work desktop is problematic. Without digressing too deeply into tech-talk, most enterprises are looking to virtual machines as a solution. The problem is that currently, except for the largest, wealthiest companies, desktop transformation through virtualization is out of reach. Current offerings are just too complicated, requiring software that is too expensive to buy and implement for all but the largest enterprises. But even with more sophisticated solutions like these, the PC is not going away. In fact, because there isn't really an easy way to achieve modern endpoint manageability (to centralize and manage desktops, making data and applications available on demand from any device, cost effectively, to a wide variety of customers), the PC is going to remain the pivotal locus of business productivity for years to come. I would even go a step further and argue that with good desktop virtualization software, devices will proliferate further in the work place, and people will use even more of an array of devices to be productive, and the PC will be the hub of productivity.

When compared to the speed with which the private cloud has gone mainstream, the desktop continues to lag in evolution from the data center. The private cloud was able to take fast hold because of the tremendous efficiency improvements carried over from the first project: server consolidation through virtualization. The promise of better manageability of virtualized data centers made the private cloud immediately relevant, maximizing efficiency gains of virtualization. The move with the desktop, similar to the data center, is in manageability. However, because desktops do not gain efficiency through virtualization the same way servers do, the path and results are different. Desktops really should have characteristics of the cloud such as centralized management, self-service and complete fluidity. When that happens, it could alter the future of the PC.

There will be more use of mobile devices and tablets and they will get cheaper and better all around. Phones will continue to get bigger and more capable. But all of these devices will remain a complement to the productivity powerhouse that is the PC. Lots of organizations are bound to create and expand BYOD policies, but the primary devices people are going to bring to work are going to be dominated by powerful computers with keyboards and pointing devices. These are amazing, powerful, and incredibly inexpensive devices that business won't be able to live without.

By Aaron Suzuki, Chief Executive Officer and co-founder of SmartDeploy"

Kathryn Cave
    Editor
    IDG Connect

Re: The Immortality of the PC

I fully concur
    Thanks for the article.

Comment

Like others I do agree with the article. I also think something that gets little mention is the tremendous reliability found in today's desktops. I can't tell you the last time I suffered a major pc failure. We (myself included) criticize Microsoft for host of issues, but their OS like the pc's is really reliable. I cannot tell you the last time I saw the infamous 'blue screen of death'. So we have reliable hardware, reliable OS, and together nothing really matches them for productivity.

I found it curious to see that the writer also felt desktop development was lagging.

Thanks for the post.
      Regards,

John W.
      www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Someone has to be on the other side. So:

When was the last time you went into an office(or anywhere else) and saw someone at a typewriter? The PC replaced it. Prior to that, the typewriter replaced the ink and quill with reams of paper. Prior to that, the ink and quill replaced chisels and rocks.

Something will replace the PC. There will be computing to a great degree, but it is changing. Not sure if it will be tablet types or what, but suspecting we may be wearing a head gear and send info to some other place verbally through our mic. We will see what we are working on through some implant. This would be a no hands approach. Just a think, see, talk scenario.

Somebody had to say it.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave, that description sounds like my wife discovered the technology decades ago.

Comment

smart azz reply LOL
            Dave, that description sounds like my wife discovered the technology decades ago.
            Does that mean you go back to chisels and stone???
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Yeah, I've seen those movies too...

You are right though, at some point in the future most data entry will be voice and/or scan based, but the associated learning curve and uptake will be much harder for the workforce than getting to grips with mobile toys and phones.

Just my 2c

Paul
              Originally posted by DaveM View Post
              Someone has to be on the other side. So:

When was the last time you went into an office(or anywhere else) and saw someone at a typewriter? The PC replaced it. Prior to that, the typewriter replaced the ink and quill with reams of paper. Prior to that, the ink and quill replaced chisels and rocks.

Something will replace the PC. There will be computing to a great degree, but it is changing. Not sure if it will be tablet types or what, but suspecting we may be wearing a head gear and send info to some other place verbally through our mic. We will see what we are working on through some implant. This would be a no hands approach. Just a think, see, talk scenario.

Somebody had to say it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post

Does that mean you go back to chisels and stone???
                Only if you want it to last!

Comment

Originally posted by Allen Klimeck View Post
                  Only if you want it to last!
                  ... or this :)

Bought this custom system a couple weeks ago (some assembly required) - long live the desktop PC!

Jan 2013 System specs.png
                  Cheers!
                  Lyle Chamney
                  http://www.2ninerniner2.com/
                  Websites rebuilt with WordPress
                  http://goodcheapfastwebsites.com/
                  Complete, ready to install WordPress websites
                  http://snifflevalve.com
                  WordPress training and tutorials

Comment

Right up my alley - all the switching done by the humble hydrogen atom.
                    The only problem so far :- in the UK also, a class of advanced students was given a DNA molecule to see who could read it fastest.
                    The best time? 3 hours and a bit. (source: Chris Smith at Naked Scientist)
                    Chisel and stone for now.

Comment

I had an interesting discussion the other day and what came out is that we may very well see tablet devices becoming so powerful that you simply put them in a dock that attaches to a keyboard, screen, mouse etc to effectively become... a PC. So the PC as we know it today may indeed very well disappear.
                      Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

we may very well see tablet devices becoming so powerful that you simply put them in a dock that attaches to a keyboard, screen, mouse etc to effectively become... a PC. So the PC as we know it today may indeed very well disappear.
                        When Laptops came out, docking stations shortly followed. Just as you describe. Desktop is still here.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by pulsoft View Post
                          ......Read this article now to discover why the PC is going to remain the pivotal locus of business productivity for years to come. We have all heard the discussions and read the articles detailing the demise of the PC. This is simply a bogus argument......
                          People have been seriously concerned about the demise of all sorts of things. You see all sorts of arguments pass by. Like the Maya Calendar. Or the alignment of a few planets, the destruction of the global economy, whatever. Sometimes pointing at what happened to the dinosaurs or Area51 or who knows what. Well, we are still here! Maya Calendar ending or not. Maybe the Mayan Calendar Officer ran out of crayon. Who knows.
                          Bottom line is: people state all sorts of rubbish with the greatest possible belief and conviction that never happen. Why so concerned with that, why listen to them anyway?

People are strange beings with mostly only their own interests at mind (with a few minor exceptions I must admit luckily). If people want to sell you french fries, they will promote them as being healthy and tasty and what not. They will not tell you that they are not the most healthy thing you can eat. People selling you mobile software will try to convince you that you really need that stuff to keep up with competition. Somewhat like the car salesman that tells you that the car he wants to sell you has always been inside the garage overnight and belonged to an old lady who did not drive much in it. He won't tell you that they ran back the mileage in order to "prove" that. I reckon a man like Dave can tell you real horrorstories about that from hearsay....
                          Another example: there are many, many BMW motorcycles around for sale with a really low mileage on it. All honest of course. But BMW motorcycles being what they are, they tend to be still pretty damn good even WITH a high mileage. But people rather buy those with low mileage. That's why they tend to "do something about that". There is a HUGE market in replacement instruments for BMW Motorcycles. How would THAT come you think?

All those people get away with it because there is a vast range of activities in that area from a little bit dishonest until huge rip-offs and "some bending of the truth" in advertising and promotions is widely accepted. When companies that sell washing powder say they have "a new formula" that even washes brighter, people smile. They know and accept the "slightly all to positive message". Another type of those messages is people trying to bend you into a certain direction using "arguments" like citations "from people who know about those things". Well, let me enlighten you: nobody knows what the future will bring.

And that goes for the "pro PC guys" as well: nobody knows if the pc is going to stay much longer. Nobody. It all depends on technical development and innovation. If tomorrow there comes some type of device that does everything a pc does more efficiently and faster and it is easier to use, it will start raining PC's. I don't think the current mobile devices will BE that game changer though. They simply do not have what it takes for that. But that may happen quickly, or a complete other type of device might come on the market soon. The point is, that nobody knows and it is all guessing and presuming.

Comment

Expanding on what Marcell eluded to on Cars.

EDIT: I agree. there is no reason to worry about what is coming. Work with what is and adjust as needed when something changes. END EDIT

In the US, it has been illegal to tamper with an odometer since about 1973. When you get the tags renewed, a record is made of the mileage(in most states). A record is kept every time a vehicle changes owners. Then we have auto check and the like that follow these records as well a wrecks.

If a car is sold with true mileage unknown(TMU), it brings a fraction of the value. It is illegal to sell a car without disclosing the mileage in truth. You would risk jail time and fines that are not cheap. A Dealer loses his license forever as well as the other. Not a fun time.

Prior to the law, it was almost impossible to find a used car on a lot with over 65,000 miles on it. Usually cars had the mileage cut several times in it's lifetime.
                            Yes, I have some funny and some horror stories about that.

Software has no mileage problems. Like a Desoto, it may run out of love with the users.
                            Last edited by DaveM; 01-27-2013, 02:33 PM.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Maybe immortality with some software, too ...

I still see a large number of Windows 98 systems on my travels … systems that do everything the owners need them to do, with no intent or NEED to “upgrade”. Indeed, software has no mileage problems!

People don’t “do” things in operating systems; they do things in applications and with that in mind … the average Joe only ever uses a small fraction of the capabilities of Microsoft Office. So, whether the latest and greatest is Office 2000, 2003, 2007 or whatever, what does it really matter?

At one time, even Alpha Software released an updated version of its [character-based] Alpha FOUR software to work with later operating systems. What does that tell you? There IS still a demand, somewhere! And, like it or not, character-based software is much faster than its graphical equivalent.

Software suppliers will eventually pull support for a particular product, but by that time you actually have in your hands a pretty stable piece of software, as it’s been patched to death!

Personally, I love Windows XP … I know it inside and out and can tweak and customize it to my heart’s content! Yes, I will eventually move to Windows 7, but in time … once a Service Pack or two has been released and everyone ELSE acted as the guinea pig!

I always read the computer press with caution. I use it only to watch for “indications” of what’s happening, but never as the basis for major technology decisions. Read any computer magazine and you are often left with the distinct feeling that you are out-of-touch, irrelevant and due for the scrap heap. (To be honest, I tend to view “head hunters” and HR Departments with similar caution).

Mobile has its uses and so does that dinosaur ... the desktop PC!

P.S. Attn: Dave M … even [marketing guru, but tech Luddite] Dan Kennedy was crowing in a recent "No B.S. Marketing Newsletter" about seeing several new models of TYPEWRITER at his local Office Max store … along with RIBBONS! Someone, somewhere is buying that stuff!
                              Last edited by Paullm; 01-28-2013, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X