Alpha Video Training

Thread: Alpha license, alpha app, and Windows versions

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Default Alpha license, alpha app, and Windows versions

I have a developers license. It allows me to install on 2 computers. How are developers handling testing their apps against windows XP, VISTA, Win7 and Win8 if they can only load their dev A5 on 2 machines. I have 4 machines now, and going to cover the XP-Vista-Win7-win8 range. But how do I do that with a 2 computer license?
    Mike W

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Default Re: Alpha license, alpha app, and Windows versions

If you have the runtime, use it for app testing. Otherwise consider renaming the a couple of the machines to be the same as the other two and use their activation keys. This would probably have to be temporary solution just for testing if all the machines are on your own network. I have not had the need to do this--I just assume it would work. Of course you could also buy another license!

Raymond Lyons

"Certified" Alphaholic Keith Hubert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Mike,

Provided the machines are not networked, give the machines the same Name.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Real Name
    Dave Mason

It works even if they are all on the network. You just get a warning when windows starts that there is a duplicate name.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

"Certified" Alphaholic Keith Hubert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Dave you are correct, but who likes error messages?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

I have 4 machines now, and going to cover the XP-Vista-Win7-win8 range. But how do I do that with a 2 computer license?
    The short, and likely unpopular, answer is you don't. If you found it necessary to purchase 4 machines for your develpment work you should also see the necessity of purchasing another development license which will cover a total of four machines.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Better still, get runtime.

another thought is: you can run alpha for 30 days on an install, which should be long enough for most testing. It does always prompt you for a license number, but....? I guess Keith might not like that LOL
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Interesting. In 6 additional replies, what has been added that wasn't more or less said in the first reply (below)?

Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
    If you have the runtime, use it for app testing. Otherwise consider renaming the a couple of the machines to be the same as the other two and use their activation keys. This would probably have to be temporary solution just for testing if all the machines are on your own network. I have not had the need to do this--I just assume it would work. Of course you could also buy another license!

Raymond Lyons

Real Name
    mike wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mathews View Post
    The short, and likely unpopular, answer is you don't. If you found it necessary to purchase 4 machines for your develpment work you should also see the necessity of purchasing another development license which will cover a total of four machines.
    I didn't purchase 4 machines for this purpose. I had 2 (XP and win 7) and acquired a Vista from someone who ditched Vista for Win7 because they hated Vista, and acquired a Win8 machine for testing purposes. It seems over the top to have to acquire another developer license to develop one application that could be used on the breadth of platforms to which customers might be loading the app. I have runtime. The problem is, however, if there are errors/problems on any given OS, the RT doesn't afford investigating/developing solutions for that OS.

I like the computer name idea, if this XP machine would only allow me to. System->Computer name --> try and change the name and it tells me it's detected the name on the network and therefore can't change it.... got to System ->Computer name and change it... which is exactly where I am.
    Mike W

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Have you tried disconnecting it from the network and then changing the name? Might even have to change the network or workgroup name but I doubt it.

Ray

Banned

The thing is: we are all developers here and most of us hate it when our work gets copied out and used by others without paying for it, or without respecting the license agreements we use. Don't we? Those type of users ALWAYS tend to go to great length to justify why they steal software from others, or (let me rephrase that....) use it not accordingly to the letter of the license agreement. Well, so does Alpha I guess. They sell their products under a license agreement and that holds in it the rule that you may install the product on 2 machines. Not on 4. Not because of the fact you can only afford 1 license (for 2 machines), not because you "just use it for testing" or for whatever reason. You may install 2 copies per license. That's it. I would suggest you honor the license agreement. Furthermore, I would like to discourage colleagues here coming up with "advice" how to (despite the license agreement) nevertheless install more then 2 copies per license. It is not an honorable thing to do.

You can always install a trial version on a test machine and have enough days to test it. Another righteous option would be to ask customer service if they would allow you to install more then 2 copies not for developing, but for testing the end product. Although personally I don't see much difference in using the software for development or testing: both are invaluable parts of the software production chain.

Respect the license agreement.

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

I suppose it is withing the scope of the license agreenant, if not the letter of it, to have one developer license installed on four machines (four different machine names) with two names activated. Should one need to test something on one machine without a licensed name, rename one of the current activated machines to a non activated name (will no longer run Alpha), and rename the machine on which you want to test something to the activated name. IOW, at any given time you can only run Alpha on two machines.
    There can be only one.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by mronck View Post
    .... Those type of users ALWAYS tend to go to great length to justify why they steal software from others, or (let me rephrase that....) use it not accordingly to the letter of the license agreement. ....
    Marcel (and others),

I don't think anyone here was suggesting that anyone "steal" Alpha Five or even use it "not according to the letter of the license agreement" (though personally I have never actually read the license agreement--partly because I can't fine it--so I can't be sure). In any case, there is an enormous difference between stealing software and installing it on more than 2 different machines for testing purposes so long as it can be used on only 2 of the machines at any given time (which I presume is what the license really wants to ensure no matter what the wording may be read to say).

Not everyone can afford to be as "righteous" as some of you apparently can be. Although I have never done it, I personally see nothing wrong with temporarily renaming a machine for testing purposes. On the other hand, it would be bit of a pain to do so, and that might be sufficient reason to buy another license. Or if you have the runtime (as I do), I find that sufficient for testing, and maybe even better as my apps typically have to run on the runtime, not the full version.

Raymond Lyons

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Actually,
    Stan and marcel,
    I think I said that in post number 7

I personally don't think alpha thought of all this when they set their license agreement(the testing thing). I further would bet they don't care how you do it as long as you are only working on ONE computer at a time with 1 license.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Actually, I don't think you said anything similar in post 7 or post 4. I postulated a situation in which you have four differently named machines at all times other than the interval in which you are changing/swapping two.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
    Interesting. In 6 additional replies, what has been added that wasn't more or less said in the first reply (below)?

Raymond Lyons
    Well, Ray, remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Alpha probably doesn't care a whole lot if one user has multiple copies as long as that user alone is using the product. OTOH, I'm sure they want to sell as many copies as they can. If one user wants to buy 10 licenses they would be quite happy, I'm sure.

A Microsoft "Partner" I work with tells me that when you become an MS partner, one of the benefits is that MS gives you 10 licenses of pretty much everything - Office, MS-Server, whatever. Of course, MS is huge so they can afford that. Just saying...

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Stan,

I apologize if I shorted you in some way.

Post 7:
    another thought is: you can run alpha for 30 days on an install, which should be long enough for most testing. It does always prompt you for a license number, but..
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Banned

The one thing I can not understand: in case of doubts... why not ask Alpha about it? That's what customer service is for and it prevents us from guessing about "what Alpha wants" or "what Alpha cares for or not".

Real Name
    mike wilson

Ray,
    Yes, disconnecting from network did the trick. I will ask Alpha. I think Stan's idea would be fine... load on 4 machines and have two activated, and when time to test two others. But isn't that really the same as having 4 activated?

Stan, you wrote:
    Should one need to test something on one machine without a licensed name, rename one of the current activated machines to a non activated name (will no longer run Alpha)...
    Really? I just discovered that one of the computer names that Alpha has for my main machine is different than the computer name that my Alpha reports in the Help-->About window.
    Last edited by Mike Wilson; 01-28-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    Mike W