Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to Run alpha five app in apple Ipad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Run alpha five app in apple Ipad?

I am trying to explore the mobile capabilities of Alpha five but I dont know where to begin. I want to develop a point of sale application using mobile devices. can mobile devices connect to barcode scanners? How to install an alpha five app to an Ipad, what are the requirements? will it be connected to the internet for one to use the app?

Re: How to Run alpha five app in apple Ipad?

Jetson - you know by now that A5 runs under Windows, nothing else. This pretty much rules out a desktop-like version of A5.

Have you done any work with Google about iPads and barcode scanners before posting here?
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Not yet Steve, I will now. I just saw the ad of Alpha Five that it runs anywhere.

What are the mobile devices where I can run an Alpha application?
      Last edited by JetLi; 02-02-2013, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Jetson,

The desktop app in Alpha Five requires windows. Some Apple machines can run windows, so they'd be able (probably) to run Alpha's desktop databases. I have no experience doing this. I do not think the iPad or iPhone can run Windows.

I think the ad you saw was referencing Alpha's capabilty of building web enabled applications that can be run from machines that have internet browsing. Those devices (iPad, iPhone, 'Droid, etc.) get to the app over the internet, not through the windows desktop.

Comment

Thanks Tom for the confirmation.

Comment

If you build an Alpha web app you can use it in an Ipad. I built a simple web based contact manager for my wife's art group which she can and does access on her Ipad. She uses it to lookup info and occasional data entry. It's based upon v10-11 and I made the buttons larger and stuff so it would be mobile friendly. But it also works just as well in a regular browser. I'll probably have to upgrade it when v12 comes out to take advantage of their mobile specific features.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I thought at first if it is possible for me to create a Point of Sale App using mobile devices, it is not possible in our place because internet connection is very slow and not always available.

Comment

Jetson,

Web-based POS apps are most often used when there are multiple branches of a retail outlet and the home office wants to collect and consolidate the data (and maybe see some kind of dashboard), in realtime.

It is always a good idea to establish what technology best fits your real need and to ELIMINATE as many unnecessary layers as possible, to reduce the possible points of failure.

This is vitally important in a POS setting, where you have impatient customers who just want to be checked out, quickly!

(You can be sure that retail outlets that use a web-based POS, also have an offline standby of some kind).

Paul
                Last edited by Paullm; 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I have a client who uses Alpha for POS over the web for a chain of 15 cell phone stores. Works very well for him, but it does require a fast server (his is a dedicated server through ZebraHost) and fast and reliable internet connections in each store. (You are out of business if the internet goes down) He uses desktop machines in each store, not mobile, with scanners and printers attached, because once you get started, you are going to want to add a lot more functionality like a timeclock capability, physical inventory, purchase orders and receiving, and so on. Desktop type machines are better suited to that.

He has been running this successfully for over 3 years.
                  Pat Bremkamp
                  MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Paullm View Post
                    Jetson,

Web-based POS apps are most often used when there are multiple branches of a retail outlet and the home office wants to collect and consolidate the data (and maybe see some kind of dashboard), in realtime.

It is always a good idea to establish what technology best fits your real need and to ELIMINATE as many unnecessary layers as possible, to reduce the possible points of failure.

This is vitally important in a POS setting, where you have impatient customers who just want to be checked out, quickly!

(You can be sure that retail outlets that use a web-based POS, also have an offline standby of some kind).

Paul
                    AN eye opener for me.Thanks Paul and to others.I agree with you, almost all customers wants a quick check out.I tried to use alpha for this but a bit slow because I have posting field rules and the entry must be done in a form by going into the fields and press the enter key at each one for the update. I tried Xbasic for data entry and is much faster because the cashier will just input the number of items bought and scans the item and enter payment and done, but I discarded this because of the posting rules.

Comment

(You are out of business if the internet goes down)

He has been running this successfully for over 3 years.
                      would you willing to share how he manages when and if the internet goes down in 1 or 2 stores?
                      is it possible to take a peek at his pos system, like a demo or something?
                      thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                      mysql backend
                      http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                      [email protected]
                      1 914 924 5171

Comment

Gandhi,

I would agree that this POS system would be a great A5 showcase, but there may be confidentiality issues.

With regard to reliability and contingencies, transaction volume is a key factor with any POS system and transaction volume is obviously always tied to ticket value ... high-value=low-volume; low-value=high-volume and everything in-between!

High-ticket item transactions can still be handled manually if something goes askew (that’s assuming the POS system does not also have offline-working capability). It might not be convenient, but you can still complete manual paperwork/sales receipt for a cell-phone, a car or whatever and enter it later when the system is back up.

It’s a whole different ballgame for a store selling low-cost widgets. Any system holdups and many customers will bail at checkout. (I even see this at my local Kroger [grocery] store when there are problems with slow credit card processing … the young guy with only a bottle of milk is often not going to hang around!)

Reliable and fast connections are a must but even that is not 100% … I still remember the time, some 12 years back, when Dallas Water Utilities accidentally severed our ISDN line when trying to fix a water-main leak, out back. Fortunately, back then, we still had COM ports and modems, but going back to dialup was excruciating!

It’s always a good idea to think what CAN go wrong, then have some alternate plans in-place for when the can-go-wrong, does-go-wrong!

Comment

Jetson,

Paul
                          It is very important. Extremely important. However, I believe that if you do some research you will find that many solutions for small business (at present) still fail to address this issue. It's one thing if you can't swipe a card (which obviously requires connectivity to guarantee an approval.) ~ But when you can't even open the till to accept and or track the "beans", it's a huge problem.
                          I'm still looking or "the perfect solution" which eliminates risk and maintenance on the desktop side and also adequately addresses the problems associated with being "off the grid" sporadically. (Swipe the card and take the risk, then when the connection comes back, "play catchup" and approve the "outstanding/unauthorized transaction.) ~ This wouldn't work for all businesses, but it certainly would for mine. ~ And although I suspect my version of "the perfect POS solution" may exist, I haven't found it yet.....

From a risk perspective, I'd absolutely love the ability to buy an "I-Pad", turn it on, "launch an app" & be ready to go when the time comes to replace POS hardware. ~ (And have a "complete & ready to go backup POS system" sitting in a drawer in the "back office!") ~ With "built-in failure transaction rollback", a system like this would all but eliminate 1.) Hardware failure, 2.) Data loss & 3.) Internet "connectivity issues." (all at the same time)
                          Google has a neat solution that is sort of similar to this in that they don't send the data to the program, they send the program (agents) to the data. Kind of cool! (Especially since both the agents & the data presumably exist in multiple locations for redundancy concerns.) ~ Send the program to the I-Pad, and then let it operate off-line when necessary.....

PS: I don't own an I-Pad, but many of my friends and family members do. (My sister's husband is a pilot, and they've abandoned Rim/Blackberry for Apple based pilot/flight solutions!) I've seen him use it and I am amazed. It's almost magical! Consequently (based on what I have read & seen), I don't see how Windows-8 can even begin to compete with the I-Pad's front end GUI. ~ Apple's multi-touch interface is truly elegant..... (IMHO, it also blows away the android interface. No contest there!)
                          Last edited by SNusa; 02-03-2013, 02:42 PM.
                          Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                          It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                          RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Robert,

There IS no perfect solution. We’re talking computers, here!

All you can do is see where things might go wrong, then implement contingencies for when that time comes.

(I would also argue that a “pad” might not be your best hardware … mainly because of durability issues in the “hostile” retail checkout environment).

One thing I see today is all this wonderful new hardware "looking for" an application and just because a latest gizmo is available does not mean you should use it.

Comment

Robert,

There IS no perfect solution. We’re talking computers, here!

All you can do is see where things might go wrong, then implement contingencies for when that time comes.

(I would also argue that a “pad” might not be your best hardware … mainly because of durability issues in the “hostile” retail checkout environment).

One thing I see today is all this wonderful new hardware "looking for" an application and just because a latest gizmo is available does not mean you should use it.
                              There could be, and there should be. (At least we could be much further ahead in this department IMHO.) The problem is one that's been around since I started with my first Apple-II in 1981? It's the gap "between how users use, and how developers develop." The technology is available. ~ It's the way in which it is implemented that gets in the way.
                              I'm very fortunate in this regards. (At least I think I am.) I kind of live in the best of both worlds! I'm a business owner/entrepreneur who both can write and enjoys writing code. (Which incidentally, based on observation, I suspect is fairly uncommon.)

I'd also argue that most of the people who come up with design specs for software solutions don't necessarily have the insight into how existing technology could best be implemented, because they don't really understand "how it works" at it's most simple form. (They may know what they need, and that it is possible. But they are not necessarily able take into consideration all the relevant implications when coming up with criteria for a project.)

From a business perspective: The top criteria I have with regards to implementing the technologies I "choose to use" is: 1.) Risk (which BIG-TIME includes failure scenarios), 2.) Profitability, and 3.) Efficiency, & ease of use/maintenance.... (I never buy gadgets for the sake of "ownership.") I implement solutions. (And most gadgets are clearly not solutions.)

As a matter of fact, I see Windows-8 as a gadget. (I sincerely hope this perspective on Windows-8 changes. But I am seldom wrong on things of this nature. Windows-7 is GOOD, and thus I intend to try to wait for Windows-9.) I used to see I-pads as a gadget. (Not quite so much as of recent.) Smart-phones are inherently stupid, and are thus mere gadgets in the hands of most owners/users. (I don't even own a "Smart-Phone" ~ a miss-named gadget at that.) Although I must admit: "Smart-Phones" can & do provide some valuable services. (I don't even own a tablet yet, anyways.....) ~ That being said, in most instances, I see a "smart phone" as a gadget that (unfortunately) has the inherent ability to lead an otherwise intelligent & "self-thinking person" to doing stupid things.

PS: Microsoft removing, and subsequently sabotaging 3'rd party start button/orb capabilities/solutions pretty much ruined my interest in Windows-8.
                              (You could look at this two ways. ~ Either I'm "narrow minded & ignorant" in this regard, or Microsoft is. Either way, I'm not alone on this one.)
                              Last edited by SNusa; 02-03-2013, 03:34 PM.
                              Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                              It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                              RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Working...
                              X