Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Javascript caching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Javascript caching

I'm wondering about something I observe, but don't know enough or what I might do about it.

First, an observation:

If a user navigates to Page A for the first time during a session, it takes, say, 4 seconds to load the page. User submits record, navigates to previous page (a menu of sorts), then back to Page A again. This time and all subsequent times, it takes just 3 seconds to load the page.

With this observation (roughly described) in hand, let's move to a different page/component and the current problem:

User pokes button that loads a 30-row updateable grid in an AJAX window. Last 5 rows of the grid don't behave well when javascript methods and functions are called in those rows. Close the AJAX window, call it again with another 30 rows (different records mind you) and the last 5 rows behave well with javascript actions in the rows. This part that I'm describing here only occurs on the iPad, occurs a little unpredictably, but more often than not, and is not an issue on wired machines. Yes, iPad connectivity is terrific -- rule that out please.

So, with this latest problem that I cannot seem to resolve, and these observations, I'm wondering if there's some kind of javascript caching going on with our pages and/or AJAX windows. And, if there is, is there a way I can "push" the javascript out there before or during the first load of the page/component to help alleviate some of this behavior?

I don't know if this sounds "out there" or not but this "last 5 rows" problem just doesn't seem to have a solution so I'm stretching a little further than usual to find some way to manage it.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Re: Javascript caching

It sounds like it might be ios6 on the iPad and its nasty habit of caching POSTs. The short answer for the fix is to add a time stamp to the callback. That way the iPad sees the request as a new request and doesn't use what's in the cache. As far as I know only iOs6 is doing this. Everyone else follows the old rule that says that POSTs don't get cached. I ran into this shortly after iOs6 was released and had to add the timestamps to my ajax callbacks in my calendar app to get it to work correctly on the iPad. Don't you just love this stuff!
    Jim Coltz
    Alpha Custom Database Solutions, LLC
    A5CustomSolutions.com
    [email protected]

Comment

Thanks Jim. But I don't know how to do this.

My description was that the last 5 rows don't respond well. What that means, for instance, is that a dropdown to select a value appears to work, but does not record the value in the table. So, when the grid is submitted (for the first time) any values from that dropdown disappear. A second value that doesn't record is a simple type-in text box. The submitted record is simply blank for those fields. But, rows higher up all have their dropdown and text-box values recorded in the table.
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

OK. I was going on the javascript caching comments. Do you get the same results with Chrome on the iPad? If so you can rule out the POST caching theory as Chrome behaves "normally".
        Jim Coltz
        Alpha Custom Database Solutions, LLC
        A5CustomSolutions.com
        [email protected]

Comment

Thanks Jim. I don't have the problems on my iPad for whatever reason, but many users do, and I can't ask them to install Chrome and try that.
          -Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Steve,

Have you defined those JS functions in the component itself or are you using a linked js file? Try & see if any difference.

Or try to see what happens if you link in the JS in the A5w page like this (in the HEAD section) :

<script type="text/javascript" src="Javascript/yourjavascript.js"></script>

Frank
            Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Hi Steve
              Did you find a solution to this? We are having similar problems on iOS6 and have had to revert to Google Chrome temporarily.

Comment

Frank - with the exception of one line of javascript (recently added to try to help this situation), everything is as plain-Alpha as I can get it.

Michael - no, don't have a solution. Odd thing is a few of us using iPad have no problem, but most can reproduce it pretty regularly. Still investigating and cannot ask my users around the world to switch to Chrome on their iPads - just can't do that. Plus, I shouldn't have to.

Summary of Symptoms:

In a grid with 25 records, and a checkbox row column, users are having a hard time getting any of the last 5 rows to check.

I have conditional formatting to indicate that a row is checked -- that conditional formatting does not properly display even when a checkbox in the last five rows is checked.

Each row has two fields for data -- one is a dropdown, the other a type-in textbox. If the row formatting doesn't display properly, users can correctly predict that the value of the dropdown box and the value of the type-in textbox will not be committed to the table on Submit.

Currently using a pre-release build of a few weeks ago, and expect to move to the current pre-release build this Friday evening.
                -Steve
                sigpic

Comment

Steve,

Don't know what you mean by plain-Alpha ? You mean the JS is in your component ? Cutting it there & pasting it in a .js file is plain-Alpha too. From there I'd test 2 ways: refer to that .js file in your component as linked javascript OR load it in the a5w page that contains your component by using script tags: <script type="text/javascript" src="Javascript/yourjavascript.js"></script>

Takes only a few minutes to do and you might discover a different behavior especially with solution #2 as the browser directly deals with that script tag.
                  Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Frank - I don't think this is a/the problem.

The grid has these columns:
                    Checkbox (from the grid properties (has checkbox column)
                    Animal Name (label)
                    Trainer (dropdown)
                    Food_Amt (text box)
                    Button1
                    Button2

My point is that the user has a heckuva time getting the checkbox to check. This has been the case for weeks now.

A few days ago, in an attempt to alleviate the problem, I added this to the Animal Name onClick event:

$('{Grid.ComponentName}.V.R{Grid.RowNumber}.__ROWCHECKBOX').click();

It's made no difference.
                    -Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

Steve,

I was referring to your original post:

>>And, if there is, is there a way I can "push" the javascript out there before or during the first load of the page/component to help alleviate some of this behavior?

Unless you try to load the js already in the A5W page with script tags we'll never know...
                      Frank

Comment

I guess I'm missing your point here Frank.

The grid is contained in a dialog2. The dialog2 is launched as an AJAX window from a button. Exactly what are you suggesting I insert as code, and where?
                        -Steve
                        sigpic

Comment

Steve,
                          You stated that you had "javascript methods and functions" that are called in the rows? I presume you mean JS functions you wrote? If yes then move those out of your component into a .js file and then in the a5w page containing your dialog component in the header section put this: (where yourjavascript.js is the file containing your js functions)

<script type="text/javascript" src="Javascript/yourjavascript.js"></script>
                          Frank

Comment

No, I'm referring to Alpha Five's javascript. I did not write any javascript except the one line shown in a previous message. This is as plain Alpha as I can get it with few embellishments from me.
                            -Steve
                            sigpic

Comment

Ok the try & put this in the A5W page header:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no" />
                              <meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes" />
                              <script type="text/javascript" src="javascript/a5.js"></script>

The first 2 meta tags were recently introduced when you create a NEW a5W page
                              The 3rd line loads the virtual Alpha5 Javascript library
                              Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X