Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Using a AlphaFive database on a hosted website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a AlphaFive database on a hosted website

I�m a home user of AlphaFive v9. I have a collection of things listed in an A5 database. I want to sell the items on the internet (not Ebay or its ilk).

Since I don�t want my system to be the server, I would need the database to reside in a server on the internet. I have been looking at 1&1 to be the web host based on all the features they provide.

I�m not worried about the page design or things like payment, etc. at this point. I just want to know how what I have to do to make the database available and searchable on the web.

I have looked at Web Publishing and the Application Server in the help file but have no idea where to begin. The best I can tell is I wouldn�t necessarily use either one if I�m going to use a web hosting site.

Would someone get me started?

Re: Using a AlphaFive database on a hosted website

If you want Internet traffic to your Alpha Five web app, then you must deploy the Alpha Five Web Application Server. Alpha web apps do not run on IIS or any other web server. You cannot use a 'cheap' hosting service, you need a virtual server or dedicated server, where you have access to the desktop and can install your own software (e.g., the Alpha Five web app server). You can also host it at home on pretty much any machine, using a service like No-IP.com to provide you with a dedicated URL to your home-based server.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I don't want to use any home device as a server. It would have to run continuously. Maybe I should just convert the table to another format that can be used on a website such as 1&1's Windows host site. I'm totally ignorant of how a webpage works.

Comment

Although I am an Alpha fan, if you only have a simple list that can be shown in HTML, I'd render a plain HTML page with all of your items in tables; something simple. Then upload it to an inexpensive hosting service like 1and1. Name the page index.htm or whatever is the default main page. Often those companies have easy-to-use website builders to round out your website. Going from that to a full Alpha-based website is a good sized jump in terms of hosting and additional software to purchase and deploy.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

1&1 is the website builder that I''ve been talking with, as I mentioned earlier. They have Windows based hosting.

The thing that I haven't wrapped my head around is that the A5 help file talks about Publishing a Web Project and says that a completed application can be published to a web server. Your first response seems to indicate that is not possible.

Also, somewhere in the help file it also talks about being to create your own website from within A5. I think that is what you're talking about in regards to a full Alpha-based website.

Please continue to go light on me. I'm in dark waters regarding websites.

Comment

They mean published to the Alpha Five web server.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
              Also, somewhere in the help file it also talks about being to create your own website from within A5.
              Yes, Alpha can do that in spades. But, as Steve says, you will need a VPS or a dedicated server. If you are not self-hosting you may be paying around $50 per month or so for a VPS - much more for a dedicated server. Building a web app in Alpha, even a simple one, requires some knowledge. Like Steve says, sites like 1&1 make it easy to do this - BUT, they won't work with Alpha out of the box. As someone here says "Web development is hard".
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thanks Peter-

All I want to do is make the table available and searchable on the website. Almost every website has a search feature but I don't know what the search engine is or it's capabilities and what format the data has to be in for the search feature to function. Of course, I want a user to be able to select a particular field to search the table on and the search to display all records that corresponds to the search criteria. I don't think that I asked 1&1 the correct questions, in that regard. I was just thinking about using A5 and, of course, they didn't know anything about it. I think I should go back to them and phrase my questions differently. I came here to see what the capabilities are within A5 and how to implement them on the web.

Comment

Working...
                X