Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

v12 Release Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v12 Release Notes

I noticed whilst reading down the Release Notes for the upcoming version 12 (Anywhere) as they are today, that there is not just only a few, but there are absolutely completely and utterly ZERO new features mentioned for the Desktop. That can't be true now can it? So maybe it just had no attention and if so, wouldn't it be a good idea to also list some of the exiting new features that would attract desktop developers to purchase the new version?

There is a lot of stuff for web and (mostly) mobile (as expected of course) but there seems to be 0 for the desktop ?

Re: v12 Release Notes

Marcel,

Why ask that question here? Ask someone at Alpha, none of us have any more information than yourself about V12.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith.... this is about discussion. Not knowledge.
      Why are you always answering questions with questions?

Comment

Why are you always answering questions with questions?
        Why not?

Marcel, you are right, your question is not about knowledge. I'm not quite sure how productive this discussion would be, taking into account how other discussions have been, that eventually got deleted.
        Last edited by Keith Hubert; 02-20-2013, 03:48 PM.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

There is always room for discussion! I believe( I am not a tester) that the desktop upgrades will be mostly along the lines of more web capability like the grids, etc.

Needs I see but not limited to: A little more on the forms, better abilities with sql, a little more , always more room for speed, much more work on desktop portability(or at least information to help us).

At the risk of getting this thread deleted, they even deleted the thread about Bob Zale passing away. This was posted on 3 other forums without interference from the moderators.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Marcel - I am not sure that v12 ever had any new traditional desktop features planned. My sense has always been it's directed towards improving the web and mobile feature set. To the degree we can incorporate those changes into the traditional desktop through web components, well only time will tell. Given your enthusiasm for web components in the desktop you may find this to be the pot of gold that you are seeking. Since we have not had an update for v11 for several months I am thinking the release of v12 must be getting very close.

For the reasons Keith said, it is probably not worth opening another thread on the traditional desktop being neglected topic. They haven't generated any responses from Alpha and just end up being deleted. So I will stay busy with v11 and wait until v12 is released to comment on features or lack of them.
            Regards,

John W.
            www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
              .....At the risk of getting this thread deleted, they even deleted the thread about Bob Zale passing away. This was posted on 3 other forums without interference from the moderators.
              Why the heck do moderators even delete these type of threads in the first place? It certainly doesn't build confidence. Nor does it change "reality."
              (Removing Personal attacks and or foul language posts would be one thing, but I've never seen any of that behavior here.)
              Last edited by SNusa; 02-20-2013, 11:42 PM.
              Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
              It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
              RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
                Why the heck do moderators even delete these type of threads in the first place? It certainly doesn't build confidence. Nor does it change "reality."
                (Removing Personal attacks and or foul language posts would be one thing, but I've never seen any of that behavior here.)
                Please don't blame the moderators. The only threads that they have deleted are spam or duplicate posts. The Bob Zale thread is dated Jan 20th and is located in the General Discussion forum. It was not deleted.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkwrpc View Post
                  For the reasons Keith said, it is probably not worth opening another thread on the traditional desktop being neglected topic. They haven't generated any responses from Alpha and just end up being deleted. So I will stay busy with v11 and wait until v12 is released to comment on features or lack of them.
                  Voice of reason JW.
                  What I have assimilated from the posts of past, not least on Ted's documenting of testing and some intensive work by John on this subject, was that locally one can get web components working, distribution not so successfully. Have I got this right John?

Comment

Echoing what Peter said, don't know why you would rag on the moderators. If we weren't diligently moderating this very popular forum it would be full of posts like this one I just deleted and banned the user:

Dua TOP Tháng 3 /2013 - Cu?c Chi?n B?t T?

THÀNH L?P THÁNG 5 NAM 2012

Kh?i D?ng Dua Top Tháng 3/2013
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

This topic is not about moderators.

This topic is about "me being wondered" and how others would see this.
                      If you don't care for such a discussion, then just don't enter it and don't come here and pollute things by just asking silly and non-productive counter questions or other irrelevancies.

What is the core of my wondering is, that I truly can't imagine that v12 does not bear ANY improvements for the destop straight forward (not being web components pur sang).
                      Why? Because Alpha has said on more then one occasion by words of Richard that Alpha also thinks the desktop is not going to go away anytime soon. When you think THAT, and develop software, you would almost automatically need to spend time and effort on it to keep your product for the desktop up-to-date. And I really do think that time and effort actually IS being spend to the desktop. I just can't find anything about that in the release notes for v12 as it exist NOW. And that wonders me. Does it not wonder you guys?

I mean, when you say things like "the desktop is here to last" or "we think the desktop is still important" or things along that line, then why not also mention some of the things you have done for that very desktop in those release notes? I would say that is strange. So, my original post also contained a remark towards Alpha, to go and add some of the work done to the desktop in that release notes. To me that seems a good thing towards maintaining the trust of desktop developers that they are not abandoned in the first place. You can stick your hand in the sand like an ostrich, but I already have been reading many posts here on the forum about developers looking around for something else. That is not good. Not good for Alpha, but not good for us desktop developers either since when the numbers drop, the interest in improving that part of the product will drop as well. I hope this sheds a bit more of light on the nature of this post ?

To John: yes, I am a bit exited towards what the web components offer to us, desktop developers: sheer awesome developing power.... who would NOT be enthusiastic about THAT?
                      But John I am also realistic and I really am aware of the fact that whilst I am building an app based on this technology (minimize the good ol' desktop tooling to what is REALLY necessary and replacing it with build-from-scratch web components as much as possible) there are many questions left to be answered and there are many details that I just have not yet looked in to and that could spoil the fun. Like the security components for an example: do they work on the desktop? My best guess NOW (without having done the research, how dumb a statement must that be....) is that it WON'T. And what then? How to pass a well thought out security system to a desktop application running fully on web components when the security components do not work?

Furthermore, I am also fully aware that the feature to be able to use web components was never meant to do with it what I am doing: building a complete desktop app with it. Nevertheless, is that not what we developers always tend to do? Looking into the far edges of possibilities?

Using web components on the desktop really promises A LOT. I am not that far into the logical system of my app yet to be able to tell if it works "all the way through". But here is the good thing: I don't even expect it to! I expect that journey to fail somewhere, and that's where my desktop knowledge will take over and see to it that things get done anyway.

Comment

Has anyone made a comprehensive list of what features you want added to Desktop? Not bug fixing, new features? Like, what's hot in Desktop, what are other platforms providers adding to their Desktop development platform?
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

That's a really GOOD point you make Steve. Indeed, have we ever? And, what do we expect from Alpha when we have not even made our case clear ever?
                          There IS of course the "Alpha Software Features Wish List" .......

I guess a really good thing would be making the Web Calendar Component work in working preview mode, or let me rephrase: have it working on the desktop.
                          Alpha Five has been lacking a really good built in modern "calendar-event-function" like forever.....
                          Last edited by mronck; 02-21-2013, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Yes, make a collective list. Study other platforms, get confirmation from X number of primarly-Desktop builders so it has some weight. You do also need to take a stab at ROI, or at least your thoughts on why it makes sense to develop, either for each item, or as a whole.
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Obviously Steve, what you are proposing involves a huge pile of work, non-paid, working on someone else's business R&D.......
                              Whilst I perfectly understand how that could benefit us as users, one must also respect the idea that before getting such a huge job started there must be a minimum of interest on the side of the company where you all would do it for to do something with the actual results or otherwise you would not even invest heaps of time and effort for no pay, but for no other benefits as well.
                              These kind of things MUST actually work two ways.

What has IADN done in this subject?

Comment

Working...
                              X