Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

v12 Release Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: v12 Release Notes

Well that was short lived!
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

This is my favorite new function in version 12:

A5.executeThisThenThat()

Who can say that function naming is not in good hands in Alpha!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
        Well that was short lived!
        At any case, this reaction was..... seems a case of instant short-circuiting somewhere.

Who says the idea died instantly? I just pointed out what I think the outlines of such a project would be, that it would be a huge job, that you would not get paid for it other then a possible positive effect on the product you use, and that there should be something I would call "dynamic interest" of Alpha itself. That's not a death verdict per se. Or do you think it is?

The other question was, if/what IADN had done in this respect. As a developer interest organisation seeing that many worrying developers about this subject one would think IADN would already have done some of that work? Seems a fair question?

I think the stated "dynamic interest" would be something like Alpha taking the lead in forming a "customer interest group" or something like that. Showing such an initiative would really matter to them and them being ready to actually participate. Does not seem very unfair as well?

Or do you REALLY think people here would all round together investing a huge amount of hours to only in the end hear someone say: "Thank you, but we sail our own course?"

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
          This is my favorite new function in version 12:

A5.executeThisThenThat()

Who can say that function naming is not in good hands in Alpha!

You can parse the following subjects that will get executed automatically:

This = Invoice
          Then = if not paid
          That = send debt collector

And off you go !

Comment

I have to say the moderators on this forum do a good job with it. Its pretty thankless work, but is something that benefits all of us. A long time ago I learned you can't please all the people all the time, I imagine its also true when you are tasked with moderating forums as active as these.
            Regards,

John W.
            www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Ray

I have had trouble in effectively deploying desktop apps that used web components. I hope someone tests this in v11 and reports their success or failure. I have not had chance to do it yet
              Regards,

John W.
              www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Hi Robert
                (Removing Personal attacks and or foul language posts would be one thing, but I've never seen any of that behavior here.)
                That is probably because they have been removed in good time. I know I have asked for a number to be removed and a couple were removed because of rude comments towards me and other good contributors to this forum.

Alpha directors do listen to customers, as any progressive company does, but at the same time they are innovators and that comes from understanding the existing technology and building something unique with it.

Well we have had another discussion and what have we learned today? Oops, sorry that was another question!!!
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Hubert View Post
                  .... a couple were removed because of rude comments towards me and other good contributors to this forum....
                  Really Keith? Why would they make rude comments towards you?
                  I personally do not have that experience I am happy to say.

Well we have had another discussion and what have we learned today?
                  That is quite cynical Keith... where does that come from? To learn something is closely bound to how you engage in the process. If you don't WANT to learn something, you mostly won't.
                  It all depends. Some people learn more in 2 days than others in a lifetime.

Comment

Hi Marcel,
                    To learn something is closely bound to how you engage in the process. If you don't WANT to learn something, you mostly won't.
                    That is very true.

Without being cynical, my question still stands, what have we learned today from this thread, apart from me being a cynic and the moderators are doing a good job?
                    Regards
                    Keith Hubert
                    Alpha Guild Member
                    London.
                    KHDB Management Systems
                    Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Well, would I have answered in the way you seem to prefer yourself, I could have said something like: "why today?".

That, however, would not have been very productive nor responsive. Now here is the first thing you could have learned from this thread today. Not a small thing.
                      More to the point of the initial post: we have learned, or could have learned, that there actually ARE ways to make a difference. Steve was so kind to post just one way of doing so. There might be even more options.

A product does not stand on its own Keith. It is not an autonomous organism. It thrives on happy customers.... and in return, customers become happy from a good and suitable product that fits their needs.
                      This however requires effort and communication. If you don't water the plant, what will happen in the end?

And again, you could have learned yet another thing....

Comment

Hi Marcel,

Please can I borrow your watering can?
                        Regards
                        Keith Hubert
                        Alpha Guild Member
                        London.
                        KHDB Management Systems
                        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

For the most robust growth you also have to properly prune the plant. Not saying that about Alpha's business, just about plants.

I did survey the IADN Develpers about Desktop (because I dont know). It will take 24 hrs for all responses, but so far its either "don't care" or "critical" depending on who is responding. If any members think it is important, that would make it important to me.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Marcel,

Please can I borrow your watering can?
                            You have your own already.... you only need to fill it up with water. If you feel emotional because all the new stuff you just learned: "don't spill your tears" would be my best advice....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                              For the most robust growth you also have to properly prune the plant. Not saying that about Alpha's business, just about plants.

I did survey the IADN Develpers about Desktop (because I dont know). It will take 24 hrs for all responses, but so far its either "don't care" or "critical" depending on who is responding. If any members think it is important, that would make it important to me.
                              Great that you did that! Just a question: what would "critical" mean? In which context, did you ask it like: "do you think further development of the desktop side is critical?" or did you used it in another way/sense?
                              Should no members think it important, that would actually mean that the desktop is as good as dead already. Not?

Comment

Without being cynical, my question still stands, what have we learned today from this thread, apart from me being a cynic and the moderators are doing a good job?
                                Come on Keith, we have learned a number of other things. 1) The v12 release notes as yet don't say squat about the desktop--I didn't know that and I find it alarming; 2) Some (myself included) are worried that Alpha, perhaps for good ROI reasons, has pretty much abandoned the desktop (for desktop only people, did V11's new desktop features justify the cost of upgrading from V10.5? We didn't get opinions from V11 users on that here but it is a good question); and 3) some may have learned that the history of the infamous Wishlist is enough to give pause to anyone embarking on the hard work of putting together an exhaustive list list. I personally don't think much, if anything, would come of it.

And Keith, if answers were a precondition of discussion, there wouldn't many good discussions. I don't think there is anything wrong with Marcel bringing up this topic. If you don't want to participate, don't participate--or maybe turn it into the cops for deletion (it might work!). And by cops, I don't mean the user-moderators, I mean Alpha people.

Raymond Lyons

Edit: My, the number of new posts while I was typing!

Comment

Working...
                                X