Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

v12 Release Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: v12 Release Notes

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
    The kind of businesses you are presumably hypothetically referring to are for the most part approaching "enterprise level." ~ I would guess that most Alpha developers build solutions for clients who are way too small for full blown networks with redundant T1 pipes feeding data centers with built-in fail-over.
    There is NOTHING hypothetical about that. I don't quite understand why you would say that as I specifically stated that "I personally have taken a high-profile mission-critical application environment into the clouds and the process of working that out with the data centers alone is an eye-opening experience." So what exactly is hypothetical about that?

Indeed the case I was referring to I was in charge of a migration to the clouds at enterprise level, with a multi million dollar budget. That however does not say there is no place in the cloud for small businesses at all. To say so is complete denial of all the offers that are in the market today and are quite competitive towards maintaining your own server-racks and so on. There is no reason why "making business decisions based on sound & practical reasoning" would keep you away from outsourcing IT to the clouds and external data centers. Quite on the contrary I would say. Having pre-defined thoughts about this issue is what bites reasoning in the first place.

Even with regards to costs there is no direct comparison when you compare the features of data centers with full redundancy to your home situation with none. What you get is not equal, so costs are not equal as well.
    But if you want guaranteed 99% up-time, you need to have protocols, security and redundancy in place at home as well, otherwise you will not be able to reach that level in a "guaranteed" way, which were the words you used. So please don't compare apples with oranges.

Some applications are not suited to lift to the clouds, but some especially are. So it really all depends on what you need. Do you have 1 POS application which needs to manage two or three cash registers then no, you might have nothing to find in the clouds. But if you are managing applications that hold business logic interacting with consumers then you might think completely otherwise and find yourself in a very non-competitive position if you keep all the hardware in your own basement. Of course they are complimentary, nobody ever stated otherwise. There is no argument about that.

If you want to see statistics (which actually is a science) as an activity that produces results that "are what you read in them" you are welcome to do so. Hack some even say no men landed on the moon! That is however not what statistics is meant to do for you. It offers you facts and relations between those facts on which you could act. You can deny the facts on data center growth as much as you want, the use of energy from those data centers is growing in such a way that in a couple of years the whole of Great Britain will be out of internal energy supply and become dependent on imported natural gas. Confirmed from various sides. Deny that as well if you want. The consequences of that will visit you anyhow whether you denied it or not.

Of course, as said before, not every application or use is suited for lifting to the clouds. That does not say that some specifically are. The advantages are numerous. Back-up for instance. Who does that at home in the right way? Who has his backups stored away from the business site on a location with a different risk profile to state only just one requirement? There are many, many advantages. And if your application is suited, there really are no reasons for not taking it to the cloud.

Comment

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
      I try to make business decisions based on sound & practical reasoning. (Based on 30 years of experience & a solid business education ~ not theoretical concepts & unlimited budgets.) The kind of businesses you are presumably hypothetically referring to are for the most part approaching "enterprise level." ~ I would guess that most Alpha developers build solutions for clients who are way too small for full blown networks with redundant T1 pipes feeding data centers
      Absolutely.
      The statistics are skewed - those to do with the numbers of mobile reading internet sites. Those are largely advertising driven, on the back of social networking, weather, facts, dictionaries and shopping. The demographics do NOT represent business.
      I know after a quick chat with some associates in the business of International Web Marketing.
      They have statistics which tell them for one example statement... "37% of uptime on twitter/facebook in 24 hours are a mix of both genders betweeen the ages of 15 -23 yrs" and that is one of the methods for target marketing.
      Someone else here mentioned his company will have I-pod armabands etc... That is rare - where the developer is developing for one company - his own - he can make those decisions for himself and manage the flashback.

As developers for other business owner we need to much more responsible and practical.

Comment

Originally posted by mronck View Post
        There is no reason why "making business decisions based on sound & practical reasoning" would keep you away from outsourcing IT to the clouds and external data centers. Quite on the contrary I would say. Having pre-defined thoughts about this issue is what bites reasoning in the first place.
        Actually, there are quite a few sound reasons (as previously mentioned). ~ That is not to say that we don't use the cloud for certain business applications such as email, marketing & off-site backups etc.

Originally posted by mronck View Post
        ......If you want to see statistics (which actually is a science)..... And if your application is suited, there really are no reasons for not taking it to the cloud.
        Actually, it's been my experience (over the years) that compiling statistics & presenting them is more of an "art" than a science. Moreover, it's just applied math, and the numbers are highly subjective to the means and methods by which they are collected. They are also subject to interpretation, based upon the context of how they are presented. (United States unemployment statistics are the best example I can think of.) ~ It goes without saying that when people/companies blindly follow the numbers instead of applying sound judgement ~ bad things tend to happen!

I will however concede to the notion that when unbiased & comprehensive data is applied and not "subjectively sampled & interpreted", as in the case of actuary tables for insurance companies: These types of statistics do in fact yield predictable results ~ we as consumers all get "screwed!")
        Last edited by SNusa; 03-18-2013, 08:01 AM.
        Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
        It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
        RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Originally posted by Ray in Capetown View Post
          ...The statistics are skewed...
          One can skew and/or abuse anything. Statistics as well. That says nothing about the statistic science, but more about the people that use it. You will find those people in application development as well and in every other branch of society/business where humans are around. This is a non-argument and in itself this statement fails: "THE statistics" ?? Come on....
          The Erasmus University of Rotterdam does not hold a chair for Statistics without a reason. Despite all the prejudice vented here in this thread against statistics as a science, many International organisations of name and fame use and maintain them like for instance United Nations, International Monetary Fund (IMF), OECD, EUROSTAT. Those are ofcourse all "data skewers"....

...I know after a quick chat with some associates in the business of International Web Marketing....
          That is probably one of the branches where the earlier mentioned "type" of humans is more spread then in any other business. What you would "know" after a "quick chat" with someone from the business of "International Web Marketing" is very disputable to say the least. Statistics is a science. What does one learn about any science "after a quick chat"?

...Someone else here mentioned his company will have I-pod armbands etc... That is rare...
          That might be rare in South Africa. It is not rare everywhere. I have seen those in restaurants in The Netherlands on several occasions where waitresses would enter your order on such a device and get a message back when the order was ready. The point is, in every instance of innovation there will be early adopters and there will be those who resist. There are those who embrace new technology and those who reject it.
          What is rare is that a software developer is that resistant of new technology. What is rare in Holland is an elephant in your back garden. Not maybe so in South Africa.

Comment

Absolutely.....As developers for other business owner we need to [be] much more responsible and practical.
            Statement above = true wisdom & sound judgement!

I agree with Ray. (Very realistic perspectives IMO.) If I had to guess, I'd assume that he's is one of the contributors here with firsthand (& seasoned) experience as both a business manager/owner & software developer.
            Last edited by SNusa; 03-18-2013, 10:36 AM.
            Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
            It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
            RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Interesting conversation; statistics, science, an art. Hmmm, I wonder what one would call the US government stastics? The labor statsics are never accurate and adjusted not too long after release. Oh, I know what that's called. It must be what that class in High School was that I didn't take, Political Science. What a hoot.

Stastics are only as good as the honesty and integrity of the person/s compiling them. And, that is open for debate.
              TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Oh dear here we go again chest beating. Monty Python says...Thats nothing ... in MY country .. we also have ...black spots
                I'm not even going to start with how many successful installations.. over how many years ...with less than 1.071100819% pa support cost.

What are we comparing with cloud x1 F1 server doodoos? a red herring!
                A restaurant, waitrons entering orders wirelessly on handheld? its no more complicated than scanning stock with a handheld. I have this running for stock taking, on android's chocolate ice cream batmobile OS. (no armband but I can advance).
                Simple non system critical functions.
                WHAT has that got to do with integrated software running a business?
                Please!

Decided - No armbands, people will have to be gymnasts to point the batmobile at the items.
                Last edited by Ray in Capetown; 03-18-2013, 10:43 AM. Reason: Armbands

Comment

Statistics are only as good as the honesty and integrity of the person/s compiling them. And, that is open for debate.
                  A person who I considered very wise always quoted the old axiom - "Figures never lie, liars always figure"

This has always led me to consider the underlying basis of the claims.

For example, Alpha has been saying xx% of its developers are wanting to develop for the mobile platform. But when asked how many developers of the total number of active Alpha license holders does this percentage represent, there was silence. This is not to suggest Alpha was misrepresenting the percentage but rather that without knowing the basis for the numbers how can we validate the claim. The same is true for up-time by data centers, or anything else. Call me a skeptic, I still don't believe everything I read in the newspapers, see or read on the internet or see on TV is true. Misrepresentation can be a crime under consumer fraud statutes, fraud and theft statutes, or in the case of publicly traded companies as an inducement to purchase stock (stock fraud). There is a line between marketing hype and fraud and it can be crossed. For that reason, I find a little skepticism in business to be healthy.
                  Regards,

John W.
                  www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

For example, Alpha has been saying xx% of its developers are wanting to develop for the mobile platform. But when asked how many developers of the total number of active Alpha license holders does this percentage represent, there was silence.
                    Good point. My guess is that it is a very small % of users who respond to the surveys which are presumably the basis of the statement.
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Definitely.
                      I wasn't even asked.
                      Go on Alpha - ask me !

Comment

Oh dear here we go again chest beating.
                        Just making a valid point about stastics. No Chedst beatting involved any more than;

Monty Python says...Thats nothing ...

I have this running for stock taking, on android's chocolate ice cream batmobile OS.

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken. NOTHING in your post could have been seen as chest beating? Enjoy a laugh, on me.
                          I was replying to my other friend, who cannot be named (as you may remember, chastising me whereby I got removed.)

He and I hold healthy critical commentary, and I take the opportunity to say to the unnamed ( to protect his identity)

I shall come to the HOL(Y)LAND. There shall we meet, whence you shall then take me to same restaurant for a meal to witness this miracle.
                          Whereupon we shall imbibe specially brewed formulations and wonder over it.
                          I shall notify you via the overland mail system, me not trusting this new technology.

Comment

HA HA HA! It came right after mine, so....... Oh Well, Up, up and away in my beautiful...........

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                              So George Orwell was right then!
                              This isn't progress, this is the exact opposite and shows a complete distrust of people and a lack of ability to select the right personnel to help you build your business.
                              Do the i thingies have a group hug occasionally?
                              George Orwell???

Problem: Reduce errors on the cutting table and saws and increase speed of transition between orders.
                              Observe: Person cutting makes multiple trips to printed work order on clipboard. Cutting table is huge. Lots of time walking and easy to switch numbers by the time cutter gets positioned back on the table.
                              Solution: Put cut list on wrist, or at cut stations.

How is that George Orwell?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelCarroll View Post
                                George Orwell???

Problem: Reduce errors on the cutting table and saws and increase speed of transition between orders.
                                Observe: Person cutting makes multiple trips to printed work order on clipboard. Cutting table is huge. Lots of time walking and easy to switch numbers by the time cutter gets positioned back on the table.
                                Solution: Put cut list on wrist, or at cut stations.

How is that George Orwell?
                                Suggest robots and eliminate workers altogether. But, if you keep workers, don't give em health insurance cuz reduced walking around will increase health problems over long haul.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Working...
                                X