Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Attention Desktop Developers

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attention Desktop Developers

I haven't read all the posts but I get really worried when I keep seeing the word "replace"! NO! NO! NO!

Alpha has generally been pretty good about keeping things backward compatible but every so often they've come up with, or read about, a "better idea" and ended up replacing one feature with another. The new feature is often good but REPLACING the old feature was a bad idea. I'm all for new OPTIONS but don't go around replacing forms with something new or changing the way something works. (1) I don't want to re-write all my existing apps because, for example, today's forms are no longer supported and (2) many lesser "features" can be improved by adding new options but the current option should not be eliminated.

Examples:

1. Somebody convinced Alpha to change field lists from "natural order" to "alphabetic order". They did that and I hated it. My fields are often "grouped" (address info all together but not alphabetic) or it's fairly common to want to work with the last field(s) added - but not remember the name of the last field(s) and that makes it difficult when working with an alphabetic list. There were enough complaints to get them to make that choice optional on some of those lists but even today there are still some that are natural order only and some that are alphabetic order only. (I'd still like to see all of them as optional.)

2. Alpha came up with the ability to move the pop-up calendar and RTF edit button outside the field. That's a nice option BUT it wasn't optional at first and my forms were pretty tight thus causing those buttons to show over top of some other field. This was awkward for users and made the forms look very unprofessional. Thankfully they gave us a way to change that back to the old method.

I'm absolutely postive there are other examples but can't think of them right now.

Comment

But then again Cal, "replacement" is not really necessary, at least not at first.....

Technology has a lifetime, that's a general understanding. Things evolve, technology evolves, Alpha evolves. Your own software evolves. So it's not in the fact THAT we/things evolve wherein lies the problem, it's in the speed at which we evolve. Since that may very well cross the lifetime of any specific product developed with an evolving framework.

Hence, evolving should not be an autonomic thing that "just" happens, and is done simply because "one can" at the time we find "that we can". There is much more to it, and this goes for Alpha Software as well since they are not only selling products to worry about, they are selling products that create other products that are being sold. So that makes it more complex.

A good term to dissolve these kind of problems is "backward compatibility". This however does not need to exist forever. The feature needs to be in place during a reasonable time covering the lifespan of at least the largest part of the products that are ever produced with it. Hence, if the average secondary produced has a lifespan of 5 years, that ideally should also at least be the span of the backward compatibility feature of the primary product.

One would expect, that Alpha Software also implements such a policy, and I am sure they do. Point is, that this policy obviously (if we reason from your examples) is not very fine-tuned and that there is work to be done in this area by Alpha Software. This is all a matter of quality control, to see to it that the drive for innovation is kept within boundaries of such a policy. There is no much use in "a hunt for innovation" if what you build upfront destroys what you have in the back as long as that is still in active use. Policies should be there to control such movements in a company that can be very dynamic and persisting.

It is my believe that any company at some point comes to the realization that quality control is needed, and that it is needed into the depths of the company.

Comment

I agree Marcel.

The first thing that got me started on this were some comments about "replacing" forms. Unless Alpha also created an automatic update routine, that would create a major issue when attempting to update any existing apps. Unfortunately, Alpha's history (in my opinion) of taking new ideas and implementing them "in place of" instead of "in addition to" existing methods has occassionally been lacking. On the other hand, I also think they've been much better about it in recent years.

Comment

My two cent:
          1)Improve and debug embedded browse!!!
          2)improve and debug embedded browse!!!
          3)improve and debug embedded browse!!!
          4)many other little things, we can call general bugfixes.
          I just want to point out a common misbehaviour for embedded browse. Every time some kind of commit is executed (.commit, table.change_end, etc...) in the form containing the browse, the rows in the browse itself shift their position. This results in a very inconvenient way to manage data for the end user, many times users update the wrong record, or they have to focus many time the correct row in the browse to be sure the right one is selected.
          I developed 3 apps with A5 right now, all the 3 clients call me back after a time to complain this, and I really don't know how to fix, it's impossible. I didn't noticed it because in my tests there were only few records. I'm near despair....
          Plus, you can check the... "data output" bug I spotted out here.

Comment

Hey Enrico.
            I recognize this behavior and have myself tried to resolve this in various ways, but that won't change. I tried several solutions, for instance after a commit point focus on the new record, but the browse still returned to the first value. I know this can be truly frustrating. I would (haven't I before? Hmm....) advise you to let it go, and switch to using instead of the embedded browse a supercontrol with a grid on it. It has a slightly different design, but it's rock solid and does not have these strange affects that the embedded browse has.

Comment

let me think.... mmm... yes, I think you have :-)
              I got your point, maybe it will be the way for the next app.
              Right now I'm stuck with the need to solve or to workaround it, and, as you confirm, the only way is to beg and cry and scream for a fix from the developers.
              It looks like a chorus is raising up, and I want to join with all my far away voice.
              Let's hope..

Comment

Marcel, a question: To show grids on a form I must have the application server active?
                So clients must have an app server running?
                So I need a server licence for every app I install?
                thx, E.

Comment

Originally posted by getaguru View Post
                  Marcel, a question: To show grids on a form I must have the application server active?
                  No, you don't have to have the application server active. You just create your web component (grid, dialog etc) in the web project panel and save it there.
                  Next, you implement the according supercontrol object on your form. In this supercontrol you can point towards the grid you saved and it will show on your form when in view mode.
                  Nothing more to it. The application server does not have to run, because the feature makes good use of the "working preview" protocol which does not use the WAS.
                  So it's very simple, you already have all you need and really are ready for this. Stop pulling out your hair with the embedded browse! You will be bold soon and have gained nothing.
                  Try it! Did I already advised that? Hmmmm.

So clients must have an app server running?
                  No, as said above, the app server (WAS) has no role in this whatever. So your clients do not have to install WAS, they run your app as they would normally do.

So I need a server licence for every app I install?
                  No you don't, but that you already understood when reading the answers above of course.

If you need any more good news, just let me know and I will supply it.....

Comment

Don't know if it helps but winding back to an early release of V11 will fix that problem, but may raise others. We have exactly the same problem and its totally infuriating. The issue of problems with the browse go back as far as I can remember which is many many years.
                    Bob Whitaker

Comment

this is me
                      To be bold will not be a problem. anymore.
                      :)

@Bob
                      one way:revolution!

Comment

No luck.
                        I tryed different grids in different forms.
                        I keep on having the same results: an internet-explorer-like windows message instead of the grid itself.
                        here:
                        Schermata 2013-03-02 alle 01.06.57.png
                        the translation is "browsing of the web page has been canceled - Possible operations: type the url again"
                        Note: the fact that this message is in Italian, means that it's related to some system browsing components.
                        From other side, internet explorer works flawless, so I guess that A5 needs some kind of server running...

Comment

What is the experience of those using grids for desktop with DEPLOYMENT to clients.
                          I've heard from some who've tried it and get failures.

Comment

Enrico, no it does not. In fact, it uses a special protocol to invoke running a browser window from the form. This is called by the "working preview" mode.
                            It works WITHOUT any server. So, if you have your component, you will see a tab right in the windowbar above, left, which says "working preview".
                            If you click this tab, will the component show as expected?
                            If not, something is rotten in Denmark and we should get-a-guru, probably someone from Alpha Five Customer Support.
                            If it does, there you have your proof that the component works without the server being "on".
                            What's next in that case is trying to figure out why your browsers does not operate as expected. Maybe Berlusconi is in the neighborhood?
                            However, your problem NOW has nothing to do with the component being able to run on a form or not. It definitely can without the server being active.
                            Did you have the right supercontrol on your form?
                            Another thing you can try is create another component (the UI Tabbed component) and run the component you created earlier from there. That also works.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray in Capetown View Post
                              What is the experience of those using grids for desktop with DEPLOYMENT to clients.
                              I've heard from some who've tried it and get failures.
                              Yes, I heard this one echoing around the forum as well. These things kind of become its own truth when enough people repeat it. I have however never been able to distract the exact character of the failure, what people exactly did and why this "failure" would be tied to using the grid component on the desktop. And this all together just makes it another problem with installing applications. As we all know, we can find dozens of customer runtime package installations that somehow failed using the A5 installer. The installer will be discarded all together in v12 and that is not because it runs so perfectly. Until now I have not ever heard any evidence that the installation problems indeed were caused by something related to using the component on the desktop. Which would be strange. One would expect more that if something gets forgotten to be installed that indeed problems arise from that, rather then problems arise from a certain function in Alpha Five. There is no logic in that since the installer does not interpret any of that functions. What I DO hear is that people do not want to invest any time in these issues. That almost never leads to any solution and furthermore keeps the rumor alive. I will in the end find out whether it works or not, but I will not be using the A5 installer. Instead I use a product called "Qsetup" build by Pantaray Research from Israel. I have used their product for many years in many situations and it works every time.

Comment

you don't have to have the application server active. You just create your web component (grid, dialog etc) in the web project panel and save it there.
                                Next, you implement the according supercontrol object on your form.
                                I (for one) do not have the web component(of any kind) for v11. How are you supposed to make a grid?? There are still errors in making installs with these grids, no matter the method. Until alpha makes that possible with the needed information for installs, I am out.

This should be introduced into the list for alpha.

alphaworkspace.png
                                Dave Mason
                                [email protected]
                                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                                X