Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help needed to copy a new record in a sql grid with a detail view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed to copy a new record in a sql grid with a detail view

Hi again! I just posted a question and since I received such quick responses, I thought I would try again with another item I am having difficulty with.

I have a sql grid that has a detail view. When I click on 'New Record' on the grid then the detail view pops up and I am able to enter the new record information. However, I need to be able to click on a row within the grid and copy that line then edit it in detail view. I tried following videos, looked in the forum, googled questions but I must not be asking right because I only see dialog "stuff".

Can anyone tell me how I can create a copy record (or point me to the video that isn't about a dialog) button or something?

Thank you!
    Sue

Re: Help needed to copy a new record in a sql grid with a detail view

If you want to copy an entire record and save it to a new id I think you'll have to write code for it. I'm personally not sure of another way to do it. If you haven't written this before it may seem a little daunting but once you've done it a couple times it's not too bad. If you'd like I can show you an example where I did that.

Comment

Oh, and check this out if you haven't already:
      http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Learni...ith+SQL+Tables

Comment

Awesome! Thanks AH - I will check that out for sure! If you have an example of what you did, I'd greatly appreciate seeing it! Thanks again for your quick response!!!

Comment

OK, Here's an example. I was just going to copy and paste something I am actually using in here but they are all a bit more complex so I just wrote this code quick. So, it's untested and there may be some mistakes so please run it on some sample data until you get the bugs worked out. Reading through the link I posted will help you understand this better as well.

Code:
          function CopyRecord as c (e as p)
          'This is for javascript to be executed at the end of your function
          dim vjscmd as c	
          'Here we are getting the unique id from the row in the grid in which the button was pressed to copy the record
          dim copyid as c = e._currentRowDataNew.youruniqueidcolumnname
          dim cn as sql::Connection
          	if cn.Open("::Name::Yourconnectionstringname") then
          		'Here we are making the actual SQL command, any args (arguments see below) are put in with a colon in front of them.
          		dim SQLCommand as c = "SELECT * FROM yourtablename WHERE youruniqueidcolumnname = :copyid"
          		dim args as sql::Arguments
          		'Here you're adding arguments.  the first value inside the double quotes is the argument name and the second is the arguments value
          		args.add("copyid",copyid)
          			'This is actually executing the SQL command along with the arguments.
          			if cn.Execute(SQLCommand,args) then
          				dim rs as SQL::ResultSet
                       'rs contains all the results of our SQL command
          				rs = cn.ResultSet
          				'Now we are adding all of the data you want to copy to the new record to our arguments using the data that you called from the last SQL command.
          				'when you read your result set (rs in this case) you can use rs.Data("columnname") or rs.Data(1) (for the first row, 2 for the second etc..) If you don't change your names I prefer method 1.
          				args.add("columnname1",rs.Data("columnname1"))
          				args.add("columnname2",rs.Data("columnname2"))
          				'Keep going until you have everything you want to copy to the new record.  Don't include the unique id column, whatever that may be  We'll let the SQL DB set that.
          				'After you are finished with all of your argument additions do something like this:
          				SQLCommand = "INSERT INTO yourtable name (columnname1, columnname2) VALUES (:columnname1, :columnname2)"
          				'Add aditional to the above as needed.
          					if cn.Open("::Name::Yourconnectionstringname") then
          						if cn.Execute(SQLCommand,args) then
          							'Here I included a timeout of 1 second to give the SQL time to execute before refreshing the grid, you can experiment with it.
          							'Also, you can add any other javascript you may want to execute after the function to this command as well.
          							vjscmd = "setTimeout(function(){{grid.Object}.refresh()},1000);"
          							'clear your argument values
          							args.clear()
          						else
          						vjscmd = 	"alert('Execute Error: Error returned was: " + js_escape(cn.CallResult.text) + "');"
          						end if
          					else vjscmd = "alert('Connection Error: Error returned was: " + js_escape(cn.CallResult.text) + "');"
          					end if
          			else
          				vjscmd = "alert('Execute Error: Error returned was: " + js_escape(cn.CallResult.text) + "');"
          			end if
          	else
          		vjscmd = "alert('Connection Error: Error returned was: " + js_escape(cn.CallResult.text) + "');"		
          	end if
          'This send out the javascript
          cn.Close()
          CopyRecord = vjscmd

end function
          When you copy it into your xbasic editor the colors should show up and make it more readable.

So, you'd put the above code in your Xbasic Funcitons for your grid and you'd create a button in your Grid fields and then edit the onClick Event. You could pick "Ajax Callback" and set the Callback type to InternalXbasicFunction. The function name in my example would be CopyRecord. Also, check the option for "Compute current row data".

You'll want to stick a debug switch "debug(1)" in the above code and run this in working preview as well to make sure the variables are coming in right.
          Last edited by -Jinx-; 03-05-2013, 10:55 AM. Reason: Fixed Code

Comment

I fixed the above, I think...haha 03/05/13

I just noticed that I have to put everything from "'Now we are adding all of the data you want to copy to the new record to our arguments using the data that you called from the last SQL command." to "vjscmd = "setTimeout(function(){{grid.Object}.refresh()},1000);""
            inside of the second "if" nest.

I'll fixt it tomorrow.
            Last edited by -Jinx-; 03-05-2013, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Thank you for taking your time to help me with this! I'm going to ask someone more advanced in javascript/sql to read thru this with me. I appreciate your help. I was hoping for an easy button that had text already for me. I know that if I were to just copy a grid line to a grid it would be easier oh well....thanks again!!

Comment

Hi Sue,
                There may be an easier way, that is, if I misunderstood what you want. For instance, it's pretty easy to make a button that copies a cell or two from one grid row to another using only Javascript. Still have to code a bit though.

What I wrote is actually mostly Xbasic and is done on the server side. JavaScript is used to call the Xbasic function and to return the end vjscmd. In any case, I wanted to use Alpha 5 as a dev platform where I didn't have to code but gave up on that idea after about two weeks of using it. Eventually, you're probably going to have to learn this stuff.

I'll fix the code above in a few minutes to correct my mistake. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I was pretty much at the same point as you about 4 months ago and learned most of this stuff from the forum, Wiki, and videos.

You can change the SQL SELECT command and comment out the insert command. Then paste the code into a new a5w page or whatever and go to the interactive side like shown in the videos I sent. Then you can play without messing stuff up and actually see how the nuts and bolts work.

Comment

I appreciate it! What I want is to take a current row in the grid and copy the data from that row into a new row. Then click on the row and edit it with any updated info needed. So if a person has 15 position_id's to add they don't have to retype all that info. They can find a row similar to what they need, copy the data, open it in detail view and edit what needs to be edited, if anything. The only catch is now we have the Position_ID auto incremented using the sql server trigger on insert records. The Position_ID is the key field so it can't be blank. So how can I also copy the word of "AutoIncrement" in that Position_ID field so that the trigger will work? Make sense?

Comment

I THINK I fixed the above code now. Maybe it makes more sense too. I indented the different nest levels of the conditional branches. You wouldn't need to use the if-then-else branches for testing. They are in there for error checking but probably should be in the production version of your code.

Comment

Originally posted by HRSue View Post
                      I appreciate it! What I want is to take a current row in the grid and copy the data from that row into a new row. Then click on the row and edit it with any updated info needed. So if a person has 15 position_id's to add they don't have to retype all that info. They can find a row similar to what they need, copy the data, open it in detail view and edit what needs to be edited, if anything. The only catch is now we have the Position_ID auto incremented using the sql server trigger on insert records. The Position_ID is the key field so it can't be blank. So how can I also copy the word of "AutoIncrement" in that Position_ID field so that the trigger will work? Make sense?
                      If you go into your SQL database and set it up corrrectly like we talked about in the other thread there is no need for user to even see the Position_ID field. Your DB will take care of it. You don't leave it "blank" per say, you just hide it or set it to display:none; in the style. When you save a new record, even if you only enter one field, the SQL DB should assign the Position_ID "Automagically" with no help from Alpha.

I think, after reading your last post, you really do need some version of what I wrote above. If the above code looks Greek to you, just take some time to watch the videos in the link I provided and if you look further down on that page you can actually copy and paste code from that page into your interactive Xbasic and follow along directly with the videos.

If you have done any coding before a light will come on pretty quickly. My programming background is actually CNC machines and Robots!

Comment

After a week of trying to figure this out (I'm not a programmer at all), I gave up. I can't figure it out but thank you so much for trying to help me! On to the next....

Comment

I hate to see you give up. If you still want to work on this you can post a copy of your component and a create table script (or exact list of the fieldnames and types) and someone should be able to help you out.

Also, you can buy mentoring time from alpha and a real live person can walk you through while sharing a desktop view.

Comment

I appreciate your help and suggestions. I'll come back to this after I figure out why I'm getting script error and my detail view is not closing after I hit submit. It goes back to the first tab. I have a feeling it has to do with Internet Explorer 8 and alpha v11? No idea but now I'm getting stressed with alpha since I have to have this web page go live today I'll keep trying on this issue and let you know if/when I get it! Thanks again!!!!

Comment

Hi
                              I don�t now if this is any help
                              Have a look at Video 72 Located in Version 10 Videos
                              BR
                              Erik

Comment

Working...
                              X