Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Outlook 2013 and Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outlook 2013 and Windows 8

Ver: 10.5
    Build: 4369
    Addins Build: 3712

Using Outlook 2010 and XP I can send text messages and email without any problems.

I now have a system with Outlook 2013 & Windows 8 and Alpha cannot open Outlook. I have tried all the different settings, even investigated the various Outlook blogs but I am at a loss trying to get this to work.

I get a message that Outlook has experienced some kind of fault and it closes down Alpha.

I can send direct from Outlook 2013 so there must be a link somewhere that's not working.

Anyone out there that has been successful with this configuration.

Thanks

Alan.

Re: Outlook 2013 and Windows 8

Alan,

We have come across this, our customer had the V10 app running fine on her previous PC with outlook opening when emailing, but when we moved it to her new PC with Outlook 2013 we can send via reportmailer but no way can we open Outlook.

Michael

Comment

Michael,
      Thanks for a quick reply, perhaps others will join in an confirm our findings. It may be a bug but only Alpha can respond to that.
      Alan

Comment

Forgot to mention, I don't think this is an Alpha problem because if you right click on any file preferably a PDF then choose send to email, you get the same problem if Outlook 2013 is the default.

Michael

Comment

Hi Michael - sorry to say this but it seems to me to be very much an Alpha problem - my app will no longer start outlook but right clicking a PDF and selecting send to mail recipient works fine.
          For reference running my app under V10 in compatability mode and using Windows 8 Professional 64 bit

Bob
          Bob Whitaker

Comment

Bob,

Our customer went back to PC World and they told her
            'A known Microsoft bug in Outlook 2013 that will be fixed in two weeks'
            Don't know how reliable this is, hope it is true because Alpha will not be fixing V10 or V11.

Michael

Comment

The problem is NOT with Outlook as far as I can see - also affects Word opening RTF see below.

My findings to date with our programme that both creates RTF files for further editing in Word and PDF files as mail attachments is as follows :-

Version 10 Runtime - In Compatability Mode - Windows 8 Pro 64 bit - RTF & PDF files are created but won't open from alpha even when run as Administrator
              Version 11 Runtime on same machine files are created fine, outlook opens etc.
              The mega problem we have is the RTF files generated from V11 are absolutely useless - almost impossible to edit - big difference between the Amunyi file converter with V10 than V11
              I have been told to create my documents as layout table reports rather than free form and use the new RTF output in V11 - sadly none of our layouts which are mostly complex letters lend themselves to conversion to layout table reports.
              This is a total deal breaker for us and could well signal the end of a 20 year association with Alpha.
              Bob Whitaker

Comment

Morning Bob,

Thanks for confirming the problem.

With Outlook 2010 we could send a text to customers telling them that their table is ready. Now that we have a new laptop with windows 8, which came with Outlook 2013, we can no longer do this, the hostess has had to go back to calling customers on the mobile phone. Major pain plus it stops me from marketing my app!!!!!

I submitted a bug report to Alpha and I am waiting for their response.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Lucas View Post
                  Morning Bob,

Thanks for confirming the problem.

With Outlook 2010 we could send a text to customers telling them that their table is ready. Now that we have a new laptop with windows 8, which came with Outlook 2013, we can no longer do this, the hostess has had to go back to calling customers on the mobile phone. Major pain plus it stops me from marketing my app!!!!!

I submitted a bug report to Alpha and I am waiting for their response.

Alan
                  http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/201...-outlook-2013/

Outlook Mobile Service (OMS)
                  Support for the Outlook Mobile Service protocol, which is used for sending and receiving text messages from Outlook, was removed due to low usage.
                  Andrew

Comment

You can still send a text e.g. [email protected] direct from Outlook 2013, what you can't do is send it from within Alpha V11 from a button on a form. It opens Outlook with the template message then when you hit send it comes up with an error message and shuts Alpha down.

Comment

Found a work around.

1. Uninstalled Outlook 2013 then installed Eudora as my default email.
                      2. Signed up with Bulletin Messenger.
                      3. I use Gmail, so I put my Gmail address in Eudora.
                      4. Button on a form that puts the telephone number in the "To:" box with the extension @bulletinmessenger.net. Make sure to put the 1 prefix in front of the area code.
                      5. Open Eudora on the send screen, maximized, before opening you application.

Very easy set up with Eudora, and it works like a charm.

Any questions please keep attached to this link.

Alan.

Comment

What version of Alpha Five are you running ?
                        We have conducted a number of tests in a multitude of scenarios and the problem arises when you are running V10 in compatability mode in Windows 8
                        If you run Office 2013 on a Windows 7 box then all works fine even with V10
                        Bob
                        Bob Whitaker

Comment

Version 11, windows 8

Comment

We can't seem to find a problem with that scenario so the plot thickens.
                            The conclusion we had reached was Office 2013 objects to being called from a programme being run in comparability mode.

Bob
                            Bob Whitaker

Comment

That's interesting, this is what I found out by trial and error:

1. In outlook 2013, windows 8 I could send a text message, using only Outlook, and the telephone number and the extension for my provider @vtext.com, but, only randomly!! 1 out of 10 went through.

2.When I tried to do this from within Alpha5V11 it would bring up the Outlook send email screen then when I selected Send it would crash and close Alpha.

That's why I went to Eudora and a third party SMS which works great.

Maybe Alpha should look at Eudora as a method to send text messages within Alpha because Microsoft has removed this function from Outlook 2013.

And just think, all new desktops will have windows 8 and Outlook 2013 installed, so be prepared when your customers change computers in the future.

A.

Comment

Working...
                              X