Alpha Video Training

Thread: Publishing freezes at a5_application.a5i file

Real Name
    Travis Parker

Default Publishing freezes at a5_application.a5i file

Each time I try to publish, it freezes at the a5_application.a5i file, and after a while, the message box goes away, and I never get the confirmation message that the publishing was successful. This just started happening a few days ago. This began before the latest Alpha updates were posted.

I did restore, from backup, a single dialog right before this started, although I don't know if it has anything to do with it.
    No new software had been installed, no windows updates. I have turned off all firewall, anti-virus and it still will not publish. I have even tried it from a different location with a different router/modem which I have used in the past without any problems. I have closed everything possible running in the background and that did not help either. I have tried everything I can think of. has anyone had this problem, and able to fix it? Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Real Name
    Travis Parker

Default Re: Publishing freezes at a5_application.a5i file

I tried using another computer to publish, and I had used this one up to a few months ago, and it does the same thing. I moved the project folder to the other computer, ran the Alpha updates so I was on the same version and tried to publish, but it does the same thing. So somehow, someway, I must have corrupted the project, if that can even be done, but I don't know how to fix it unless I start from scratch and add the project files a few at a time, to see if it can be traced to a specific file.
    Any ideas from experienced users out there?

Real Name
    Jinx

Quote Originally Posted by Medic1196 View Post
    I tried using another computer to publish, and I had used this one up to a few months ago, and it does the same thing. I moved the project folder to the other computer, ran the Alpha updates so I was on the same version and tried to publish, but it does the same thing. So somehow, someway, I must have corrupted the project, if that can even be done, but I don't know how to fix it unless I start from scratch and add the project files a few at a time, to see if it can be traced to a specific file.
    Any ideas from experienced users out there?
    I had a problem with security (in the project itself) getting corrupted. I had to use a backup of my .ALB file in my workspace. I figured it out by looking at this page:
    http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...File_Types.htm

I then went through the files (mostly in that top area of the linked page) and renamed them (one at a time) to theoriginalfilename_old.fileextension and replaced them with a backup (one at a time). If it didn't fix it, I named it back and moved on to the next one.

I have no idea if this will fix your problem. But then, I had no idea it would fix mine as well. I was desperate and no one could tell me what was wrong. Desperate being the key word. This isn't something I reccomend unless you are out of options.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Have you tried publishing to localhost? Does that work?

Real Name
    Travis Parker

Thank you Jinx, at this point I am willing to try anything.

Peter, I can publish localhost and then use filezilla to upload, and it works.

I should also point out something I omitted. When the issue first started, there were a few message boxes that said there was a problem with security permissions. I wish I remember exactly what it said but I dismissed them quickly and moved on. Duh! on my part.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by Medic1196 View Post
    Peter, I can publish localhost and then use filezilla to upload, and it works.
    I'm surprised that works since I would think your aliases would need to be different, but if that works great. I do something a little different. I copy to a local temp folder. That profile has aliases set up just like the server requires. Then I upload to the server via FTP.

I can't imagine that you would have to manually rename files and such.

BTW: I assume that your server and developer copy are the same build?

Real Name
    Jinx

Peter,
    The reason I manually renamed them was just so I wouldn't lose them and could change back to them if loading their backup didn't work. The problem (in my case) was a corrupted .ALB file. I was just lucky that our servers backup everything on our network every single night.

Like I said, it was a last ditch effort, but it worked in my case.

Real Name
    Travis Parker

Peter, the build versions are the same. And I did update the versions yesterday, on both the dev and server, in hopes that would fix it, but it didn't.

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

We have done extensive research on this issue and identified the primary causes as a number of possible issues on the FTP target servers. It does not occur on all servers, and may appear erratic. Some publishing will be fine, and another may appear to freeze. Most server systems do not have the problem. While it may seem to freeze on a specific file, extensive testing has shown it is unrelated to the file and can occur on any file.

1. If the file being uploaded to the server is locked on the server for some reason, the upload will freeze until the file unlocks, or the connection times out.
    2. If the upload does not validate, or does not complete, the upload will freeze until the file unlocks, or the connection times out.
    3. If the connection is not a clean connection (router issues, line issues, network issues), the file upload packets may fail.
    4. In some cases, an upload socket will open, but the server will not accept the file.
    5. In some cases, the connection to the server is lost during the FTP process.

Current FTP servers with normally roll back the file being uploaded to a previous state if the process times out. In other cases the upload may stall and then continue. However, if the FTP is cancelled, the server may hold the file that was locked in a locked condition for a few minutes. At some point, it will release the file.

Some newer FTP programs accommodate these issues by reconnecting automatically if the connection is lost, using shorter timeouts than the target server and then retrying an upload multiple times, and other techniques. We have seen other FTP upload programs also freeze on some servers and not be able to complete the upload. The current Alpha Five FTP program does not have the capability to automatically reconnect or retry an upload on failure.

If you have this problem on your server, there are a couple things to try.

1. Don't do an upload on a working system if possible. Schedule the publish for a time when the server should be idle. It is less likely to have any files locked and network traffic should be lighter.
    2. You should avoid publishing to the server if you are connected to the same server with Remote Desktop or other remote access. It is possible this may have a file locked. For example, in current Windows systems, if you are previewing a file or even have focus on the file in Windows Explorer, some actions will consider the file in a locked condition.
    3. If the upload appears to freeze, wait for it to time out. While aggravating, it may pause and then complete normally
    4. If the built in FTP system is not reliable publishing to your server, try a third part FTP program. They are many free programs that work well.

"Certified" Alphaholic Clipper87's Avatar
    Real Name
    Frank

I have extremely good experience with OPTIMIZED FTP publishing, a feature that probably has not been noticed by too many people so far. Basically it will first zip up all your stuff, then ftp the zip & then the zip gets unpacked on your system. It is superfast and may overcome the issue you're looking at.opt.png
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Real Name
    Travis Parker

Thanks Frank, I too used, and had good luck, using the Optimized FTP publishing, until a few days ago when something put a wrinkle in everything and it all stopped. It will not work either way.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Check if the a5_application.ai file either local and on the server is flagged read-only. Publishing will always halt on that file if that is the case.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Travis Parker

Thank you Steve. I checked the server copy and it is ok, but for the life of me I cannot find the local copy. I checked all the folders, and made sure I have nothing set to hide files. It is publishing this file, or trying to but where is it supposed to be. I checked my other projects and there are no files there by that name either.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Sorry I forgot, there is no local copy of a5_application.ai.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Travis Parker

That explains why I could not find it, but why does it show up as being published, if there is nothing to publish? Just curious.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

There are a whole bunch of files that do not exist local and are generated-then-published. Some of these files used to exist local, but since they serve no purpose locally, they were dropped around V10.

Back to the a5_application.ai file, it must be being locked. I have had this problem, no fault of Alpha. Try publishing to an empty folder and see what if anything does get published. (Although not sure that really helps with understanding the problem.) Check FTP server logs, server Event logs, etc.
    Steve Wood

Real Name
    Michael Day

After struggling with this problem for a few months, I decided to trouble shoot this issue. I found a post at the bottom of this thread by user Hansolo that suggested that Windows firewall could be blocking the connections. I checked it out and sure enough, somewhere along the way, the exceptions for alpha5.exe were unchecked. I checked them, and voila! I was able to upload using the internal ftp again. No more having to shell out to Filezilla. This happens to be on Windows 7 Pro but I would suspect that any firewall may cause the same problem.

Merry Christmas!

Real Name
    Jmo

I'm having similar issues with this same a5_application.a5i file and am hoping I can get some quick feed back things to try that I haven't tried yet. Below I am going to layout what is happening and what I've tried to far.

I am currently in the process of moving to new servers (both frontend and backend), which are in ZebraHosts newest facility (I currently am being hosted in ZebraHosts older facilities). My current setup is a backend server for my MySql database and a frontend server that I also use for development (the alpha anywhere development application is running on here and I publish from here using FTP to my frontend server as localhost publishing had an issue sometime ago and this was the only workaround).

My new setup will be the same except I will have a third server that is strictly setup for development (no more building on the frontend server). Therefore, I have set up publishing profiles on this new development server for FTP'ing to my current frontend server and to my new front end server. I have also setup a publishing profile on my current frontend server to publish to my new front end server so I could publish my entire set of components and everything which I did. However, I walked away as it was going to take awhile and therefore never saw it hang on the a5_application.a5i file (I'm assuming it did though). I can access the new servers site through my load balancers IP (hoping to switch the DNS tonight if I can get this issue resolved) and am able to login to the new site, however, none of my Ajax callbacks work (though the connection string is setup properly), leading me to believe this a5_application.a5i file is the culprit (am I correct in this thinking)?

I can still properly publish to my current frontend server from my current frontend server, but I am not able to publish from my new development server to the current front end server without running into this hanging issue while publishing and then my current site will no longer run Ajax callbacks and I am not able to login.

I have checked that none of the server have this file marked as read only (it exists in multiple places on each server but none of them say read only). I have also tried turning of the firewall on the new frontend server to see if that allowed the FTP to work but it didn't. I have RDPGuard running on everything and have unblocked all IPs and turned this off to no avail. I have checked and rechecked all FTP settings and I am able to FTP from both my new development server and my current front end server into the new frontend server without any issues so I know FTP is working.

As stated my hope is to get the DNS from my current site switched over to the new servers at 11:59pm so my site is likely up and running again by tomorrow morning but without this issue resolved I'm going to have a non-working site. I have added my WAS license to the instances running on the new server and have deactivated my development license in my current setup to activate it on my new development server before publishing anything to no avail.

Any ideas of what I might try next?

Real Name
    Jmo

So just a little update:

I deleted all alpha files from both my new frontend server and dev server.

I then went through my current frontend/dev server and FTP'd all the files so they had the same file structure on both the new frontend server and the new dev server.

After doing this I could again log into the new site at the new frontend server using the IP of the load balancer but AJAX callbacks weren't working and the security wasn't working (ie opening components with security would log me out and I would get Ajax call back errors saying they couldn't get results from the database though the connection string was set up correctly).

I then tried to re-publish the security files selecting the option "Publish data tables - Publish Security tables"in the publishing window opened from the web projects panel labeled "Publish Web Security Data" and after doing so I could no longer log in.

So to prevent from repeating the delete steps and resending the files over FTP is there anything else anyone can think of that I can try to get the security working again and then after that what to do to get the SQL stuff to work?