Alpha Video Training

Thread: Multiple logins by same user

Real Name
    Jeff Fried

Default Multiple logins by same user

Does anybody know how to prevent the same user from being logged in at the same time from different computers?

Thank you.

Jeff

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Andrew Schone

Default Re: Multiple logins by same user

http://www.learnalpha.com/ShutDownNe...ownNetwork.htm

Using some of the concepts discussed in the above link you should be able to accomplish your goals.
    Andrew

Real Name
    Jeff Fried

Quote Originally Posted by aschone View Post
    http://www.learnalpha.com/ShutDownNe...ownNetwork.htm

Using some of the concepts discussed in the above link you should be able to accomplish your goals.
    Yes, that definitely suggests concepts I can work with to create a test of whether a user is already logged in and prevent further login. Thank you for this.

Jeff

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Fried View Post
    Does anybody know how to prevent the same user from being logged in at the same time from different computers?

Thank you.

Jeff
    Are you talking about 1) network logon, 2) A5 security system logon or 3) your own home grown logon system? Answer that and maybe I or someone else could point you in a better direction.

Raymond Lyons

Real Name
    Jeff Fried

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
    Are you talking about 1) network logon, 2) A5 security system logon or 3) your own home grown logon system? Answer that and maybe I or someone else could point you in a better direction.

Raymond Lyons

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Jeff,

The link Andrew pointed you to is a good one for what it is trying to accomplish but I think what you want is significantly different.

Using A5's security system, in the autoexec you could use USER_NAME() to get the user who just logged on. It would be nice if A5 had a built-in way of determining who is logged onto but to my knowledge there is no built-in way to do that. In that case, you probably want to create and maintain a table of who is currently logged on, adding the user when he/she logs on and deleting them when they log off (actually it would probably be better to use a logical field in a table so that you are not constantly adding and deleting records). Years ago I created an app with a similar table and users were automatically added and removed from it when the user was added or removed from A5's security system (it can be done). Anyway, when someone logs on you could use USER_NAME() in the autoexec to get the name and then see (in the aforementioned table) whether that user is already logged on, and if they are then don't let them proceed into your application.

The one problem with such schemes is that they are not foolproof in that a crash (for example) would result in the table indicating a user is logged on when they are not (i.e., their computer crashed and the logical field indicates they are still logged on). Thus an administrator (AND at least one in some other group as the Admin could be the one that crashed) needs to be able to clear the crash problem in the table so the user can get back in.

Or maybe someone else will have a better idea. Good luck.

Raymond Lyons

Real Name
    Jeff Fried

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
    Jeff,

The link Andrew pointed you to is a good one for what it is trying to accomplish but I think what you want is significantly different.

Using A5's security system, in the autoexec you could use USER_NAME() to get the user who just logged on. It would be nice if A5 had a built-in way of determining who is logged onto but to my knowledge there is no built-in way to do that. In that case, you probably want to create and maintain a table of who is currently logged on, adding the user when he/she logs on and deleting them when they log off (actually it would probably be better to use a logical field in a table so that you are not constantly adding and deleting records). Years ago I created an app with a similar table and users were automatically added and removed from it when the user was added or removed from A5's security system (it can be done). Anyway, when someone logs on you could use USER_NAME() in the autoexec to get the name and then see (in the aforementioned table) whether that user is already logged on, and if they are then don't let them proceed into your application.

The one problem with such schemes is that they are not foolproof in that a crash (for example) would result in the table indicating a user is logged on when they are not (i.e., their computer crashed and the logical field indicates they are still logged on). Thus an administrator (AND at least one in some other group as the Admin could be the one that crashed) needs to be able to clear the crash problem in the table so the user can get back in.

Or maybe someone else will have a better idea. Good luck.

Raymond Lyons
    Ray,

I've been thinking about which way to go on this. I hadn't thought about the delete approach, which certainly has merit. I already capture each login and logout in a file with date and time, user, and whether it was a login or logout. This captures an ongoing history of logging activity, and I could use it to determine the last record there for the user who logs in. If a login is attempted when the last record is a login, then it fails with a message saying to see the administrator. The administrator could then have access to the user log and simply delete the last login record. This would certainly work.

Another approach I was considering is having a one-record file for each user. That record is updated with the login or logout for each of these events. The reason for this approach is to simplify the posting to the specific user's data file, though the bottom line is the same. This is a situation where there are local network users and external Citrix users. The Citrix server is a shared version, so the overhead required to keep track of individual directories for each user is a bit tedious but workable. Therefore, each user login would have code referencing the path to the user's login/out file. I may use this approach even though it's a bit redundant since I will continue to gather the in and out history. Then, when the administrator at this client needs to undo a crash-type situation, all I need to do is have the administrator select who the "shut out" user is and it will simply post a logout to that user's logging file.

I agree that it would be nice if a mechanism was built in to Alpha to easily control for multiple logins by the same user, but in the absence of that, there are several ways to make it happen.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Jeff