Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Anyone have Xbasic code for zipping files before download?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have Xbasic code for zipping files before download?

It turns out that (per Alpha) the Xbasic server cannot handle a download of a file that is over 100MB. I am using Xbasic to copy a file into a folder and then open a page for the user to right click a link to select Save Target As and download the file. There is not a good message that lets the user know the file is too large. Either the Save As becomes unavailable or it opens and replaces the period before the extension with an underscore. I would like to avoid this by zipping the file first and then have the user download the zipped file.
    Carol King
    Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
    http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Re: Anyone have Xbasic code for zipping files before download?

You might check out the File.Zip method and see if it can be integrated in your existing XBasic

Comment

I have used File.Zip() before and it is very straight forward. I did have an issue though that cost me a lot of time. I found that File.Zip() would fail on certain files. I discovered that it will not zip files marked with the hidden "T" attribute. This attribute indicates to Windows that the file is temporary and expected to be deleted. You can use "attrib" from the command prompt to display or modify the file attributes. I never learned exactly how or when this attribute was set in the first place so I added the following code to unset it before calling the File.Zip() method.

Code:
      dim attributes as c

attributes = file.attributes_get(filename)
      if "T" $ attributes = .t.
      	file.attributes_set(filename,"-T")     ' Remove the "T" file attribute
      end if

Comment

Thank you, Jeff. I have just experimented with File.Zip and I think it's going to be exactly what I need! (I must have searched with wrong words in Alphapedia..)

And, Dave, it's so good to be forewarned about time eating possibilities. One of things I love about this forum. I think I will include your "T" attribute code to be safe also. Thanks muchly!
        Carol King

Comment

I'm using the zip_files method:
          zip_files(zipname,files,.f.)
          That's working great for me. Not sure what the difference is between this one and the one outlined above. Maybe zip_files is only for multiple files?

Comment

OK, I have accomplished my mission of zipping a file and then downloading it. I thought I'd share the code in case anyone else stumbles across this trying to do the same thing. I was using a folder on the server C drive named ClientDownloads to temporarily store a copy of the original file (which is an Access mdb file) AND then a zipped file is created in that ClientDownloads folder. Then I used the newish Alpha functions for putting that file into an Alpha session type folder and to create a url for users to click on the page that opens when all is done.

This function is called by clicking a button on a grid record that has a field for the file name.

Code:
            function DownloadDataFile as c (e as p)

dim FileToCopy as c
            FileToCopy = "C:"+"\\" + "folderName" + "\\" + e._currentRowDataNew.FILE_NAME

dim pathToClientDownloads as c
            pathToClientDownloads = "C:"+"\\"+"ClientDownloads"+"\\"

dim FileToZip as c
            FileToZip = pathToClientDownloads + e._currentRowDataNew.FILE_NAME

dim ZippedFilePath as c
            ZippedFilePath = pathToClientDownloads + strtran(e._currentRowDataNew.FILE_NAME,".mdb",".ZIP")

dim vDateTime as c 'to be used as part of the download file name
            vDateTime = time("MMddyy_hms") 'year month day _ hour min second (used Ctrl down key in function to get the help)

dim DownloadFileName as c
            DownloadFileName = vDateTime+"_"+strtran(e._currentRowDataNew.FILE_NAME,".mdb",".ZIP")

'Check to see if file to copy exists. If it does, use that file
            If file.exists(FileToCopy) then

'FIRST check to see if the data file is already in the ClientDownloads folder and remove it if it is
            	if file.exists(FileToZip) then
                   		file.remove(FileToZip)
            	end if

'NEXT check to see if a zipped file for the data file is already in the ClientDownloads folder and remove it if it is
            	if file.exists(ZippedFilePath) then
                   		file.remove(ZippedFilePath)
            	end if

'copy the data file into the ClientDownloads folder for the client
            	file.copy(FileToCopy,FileToZip)

'zip up the file that was copied to the ClientDownloads folder
            	FILE.ZIP(ZippedFilePath,FileToZip)

'the following is an Alpha function that will store the zipped file in an A5SessionFile temp folder created by Alpha
            	Session.SaveFileToSessionFile(ZippedFilePath,DownloadFileName)

'Set a session variable for the url string to be used by the DataFileDownloadView.a5w page that is opened by button 5.
            	'The Session.FormatFileDataURL Alpha function will create the url to use.
            	session.downloadString = Session.FormatFileDataURL(DownloadFileName)

'now delete the data file (mdb file) from the ClientDownloads folder so that we don't take up too much space on server
            	if file.exists(FileToZip) then
                   		file.remove(FileToZip)
            	end if

'button 5 opens a page includes the session.downloadString as a url with instructions to right click and use Save Target As
            	DownloadDataFile = "var ele = $('{grid.componentName}.V.R{grid.rowNumber}._UNBOUND_BUTTON_5');ele.click();"  
            	exit function

end if

'If we get to here, the file was not found so give message to user
            DownloadDataFile = "alert('The data file was not found.  Please contact CHS for assistance.');"

end function
            Carol King

Comment

Carol,

I recently read with excitement your solution for Zipping files using A5. I hope to try your submitted sample code soon.

I did however wonder if you've gone to the next step of being able to programatically add a password/encryption to the
              uploaded file. Would be appreciated for any help in this area.

Tom W.

Comment

Working...
              X