Alpha Video Training

Thread: Trying to populate hidden control with values from other controls in ux component

Real Name
    Josh Cole

Default Trying to populate hidden control with values from other controls in ux component

I have a ux component. I am using it to update information in the Address table inside of my companies DBMS. The user enters their First and Last Name, there is another name field I want to update but it would be redundant to have the user enter their name twice. I want to take the value from e.dataSubmitted.Firstname and e.dataSubmitted.LastName and set the hidden "FullName" control with those concatenated values. I've tried this in the server side dialogValidate event. Does not work.

e._set.firstname.value = e.dataSubmitted.FirstName + " " + e.dataSubmitted.LastName

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

"Certified" Alphaholic Keith Hubert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Default Re: Trying to populate hidden control with values from other controls in ux component

Hi Josh,

Cant that be done with field rules?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

Default Re: Trying to populate hidden control with values from other controls in ux component

Hi Josh,

Your example is setting the value of the firstname field not the fullname field. Maybe you could try e._set.FullName.value = e.dataSubmitted.FirstName + " " + e.dataSubmitted.LastName

I do this slightly differently, I use client side properties - calculated field expression - FirstName + " " +Lastname. Although relational database purists say you should never need to store this value, because it is always available as a calculation.

Real Name
    Jim Coltz

Quote Originally Posted by coleresources View Post
    I have a ux component. I am using it to update information in the Address table inside of my companies DBMS. The user enters their First and Last Name, there is another name field I want to update but it would be redundant to have the user enter their name twice. I want to take the value from e.dataSubmitted.Firstname and e.dataSubmitted.LastName and set the hidden "FullName" control with those concatenated values. I've tried this in the server side dialogValidate event. Does not work.

e._set.firstname.value = e.dataSubmitted.FirstName + " " + e.dataSubmitted.LastName

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
    Hi Josh,

If you're setting values in that event you need to tell the component that the control is dirty. From the help for the dialogValidate event:

'========================================================================================================
    'IMPORTANT: If your event handler modifies a value in the e.dataSubmitted object (and that field has NOT
    'been edited by the user), you MUST explicitly add the field to the e.dirtyColumns value yourself.
    'For example, assume that you want to set the Company field to 'Alpha' and the 'Qty' field in row 1 of a repeating section
    'regardless of whether the user edited the value or not:
    'e.dataSubmitted.COMPANY = "alpha"
    'e.dataSubmitted.QTY_A5INSTANCE2 = "2"
    'e.dirtyColumns = e.dirtyColumns + crlf()+ "COMPANY" + crlf() + "QTY_A5INSTANCE2"
    '========================================================================================================
    Jim Coltz
    Alpha Custom Database Solutions, LLC
    A5CustomSolutions.com
    jimcoltz@a5customsolutions.com

Real Name
    Josh Cole

I don't really know what I was thinking. I've used calculated side calculation to do this in the past and totally spaced on it. Thank you all for your feedback.