Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Password Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Password Recovery

Hi All,

I am trying to get the Recover Lost Password function working. I have checked the forums, but have not seen any resolutions.

In Web Security, data required for password reset or recovery is set to Valid Email Address.

Under that, Recovery Method is Send Email to User.

My profile for sending emails is "Default". I have a Default email profile in View> Settings> Email that works when I test it.

I have the email address saved in the Registered Users table.

When I test the Password Recovery by inputting my email address, I just get sent back to login and I see the alternative recovery method only (a link that says "Send Email Request for User Information"). Alpha doesn't send an email for password recovery.

If anyone has this working, can you maybe post any tips or things you had to do to get this working? It SEEMS like it's set up properly, but apparently it is not.

Thank you.

Re: Password Recovery

I am having the same problem too.
    A5 v11, build 3044
    {

Comment

I have build 3268-4080, so I don't think it's been fixed in my version. There is some mention of changes being made to the security framework in build 3341:

1) Web Applications - Security Framework - Using SQL Tables - If you are using SQL tables for your user and group name tables in the Security Framework, improvements have been made that will result in login code executing faster.
      2) Action Scripting has been added to the DiAccented characters are now supported in user names. (Applies only if the security tables are in SQL tables).alog Component to configure a Dialog to change a user’s password.
      3) More fixes relating to recent changes in the Web Security Framework.

I am most interested in item 3. It doesn't say exactly what fixes they did, but maybe one of the fixes was getting password recovery to work.

I will update my developer and server versions to the latest "stable build" and see if it fixes this.

Comment

No change, still doesn't work even after updating to latest "stable" build.

Interestingly, I have this set in the security configuration:

Data required for password reset or recovery: Valid user ID

However, when you visit the site and click to recover password, you get a prompt asking for the email address AND the user ID. I have tried re-saving and re-publishing security and the login component and restarting the server, but any changes seem to be ignored/not saved.

I'm still hoping someone has a tip or idea. Or, does anyone know of any logs or debugging methods that I could utilize that might provide a clue?

Comment

I also updated to the latest version and it didn't work.
          A5 v11 build 3381_4096.
          {

Comment

hi Derek,
            GOOD NEWS!!! It is working now on my system.
            Here is what i did
            1- I set up the email profile on server by going VIEW->SETTING and under SYSTEM, I configured the EMAIL profile using my GMAIL account and sent a test email. closed out from here.
            2- On my "Web projects Control Panel" -> i clicked "Project Properties" and under "Run-time Properties" TAB, I configured the "E-mail Settings". This seting must match with step number 1 above.
            3- On my "Web projects Control Panel" -> i clicked "Web Security" -> "selected "Web security Configuration" -> under "Security Settings", I left BLANK the "Email Profile for sending emails" Please see the attached image for morepass.jpg
            4- I saved and published the login components and files and tried to recover a user password and it did sent me an email with the password. See the attached image.pass-2.jpg

I hope this will help you and others.

Best,
            Eddie
            {

Comment

Under View> Settings> System> Email, under my email profile named "Default", I switched to a gmail account instead of using my other POP account. The test works.

In Project Properties, Run-Time Properties tab> Email Settings I put the same info that's in the section above.

In Web Security> Web Security Configuration> I blanked the profile name (it had been "Default")

I saved and published my Web component named "login", and also the a5w page that contained it, called "login".

Still no joy. I still just get re-directed to the login main screen with a message that says "Send Email Request for User Information", not your glorious "The requested information has been sent to your registered user address."

Grasping at straws here: Are you accessing the login component via http://whatever/login.a5wcmp (the component directly) or do you have it embedded in an a5w page such as login.a5w? Also, when you said you saved and published the login components and files, I took that to refer to login.a5wcmp and login.a5w (at least, those are the names I'm using). Are there additional things to save and publish?

Thanks for any help, and for your detailed methodology. Also, congrats on getting it working!

Comment

I did notice this "code error" warning on the Login.a5wcmp component that's placed into the login.a5w page -- picture attached. I tried deleting and re-creating the page but the "code error" warning still appears. I don't see anywhere that I customized the login component, nor did I see anywhere to even write custom code, so not sure what that's about. If anyone knows and thinks it might be related, let me know!
                _-ce.jpg

Comment

I too am experiencing this issue�my profile tests out correctly - can send a test email no problem. Another observation I have made is that if I use email_send() in my after validate script it too will no longer work (though it did prior to migrating my site to a new server) but if I set up ExecuteServerSideAction("Send E-mail Message::Send_an_e_mail_message") it does work perfectly. The password recovery must share the same method as the email_send() function. This could help track down the cause and point to a solution. Hopefully someone with a little more in-depth knowledge can figure it out with the additional clues I've provided? (A5V11)

Comment

Derek,
                    I found a solution from alpha support team. As you can see it on post #6, the password recovery step by step worked for me on V11. Currently i have V12 and moved the same application to the new server and the password recovery stopped working. b/c my configuration above on post #6 works, if you use v11 development environment with application server "ON" to run your application. In V12 you can't use your development environment to serve your application. You must use a stand alone "application server". That was where my problem. I configured email recovery on my development environment, but not on the application server. Finally, i clicked on the application server icon and from pop-up menu selected "Email settings" and applied all my configuration there and all worked perfectly.
                    (aaa.PNG )

Hope this helps someone.
                    {

Comment

I knew it! I knew there was an email setting tied to the Application Server...for some reason I kept looking in the config GUI for it. My issue is also that my developer machine is also my server so was confused why some of the email functionality worked and others didn't. I can confirm that once set up on the Application Server everything works as expected. Thanks Eddie!

Comment

I am running Alpha Anywhere 12.3 2682-4435. I cannot get the reset password function to work. When you select 'reset password' and answer the questions, the system goes to the second option of sending an email link. I have tried various configurations on the Application Server of using a named profile and specifying that in the security set up, or leaving the profile blank in the security set up. The email profile works on the server to send a test email, but it does not work when you try to reset the password. Anyone know why? This seems to be a problem going back years.
                        Richard Urban

Grocery Delivery Software for Stores and Entrepreneurs: http://www.urbangrocery.com

Comment

Working...
                        X