Alpha Video Training

Thread: A5ws_GetCurrentUser() and Session Time Out Behavior

Real Name
    Dion McCormick

Default A5ws_GetCurrentUser() and Session Time Out Behavior

Wonder if one of the guru's could help me clarify something regarding session timeout and the current user id.

In my system, I check to see if the session has expired by using the following code:

if .NOT. eval_valid("session.xyz") then
    fnRefreshSession()
    end if

On each page/dialog, I do this check first. If the primary session variable is not active then I call the "fnRefreshSession()" that re-loads the session variables from the database.

That works fine....

My question is how to determine the current logged in user. My current method (v11 and before) uses the ULINK session variable. Here is how I get the info:

currentuser = session.__protected__ulink

Now my understanding that ulink is frowned upon/going away due to IIS integration. And you should use the "A5ws_GetCurrentUser" function instead. So I placed the following line in my code.

currentuser = A5ws_GetCurrentUser()

Now if I call that line when the session is still valid, I get the correct user id back.

But....if I call that line after the session has expired, I get a null value.

I thought (and it could be a wrong assumption) is that the A5ws_GetCurrentUser() works both when the session is valid and when it has expired.

If that is incorrect, and I am not supposed to use the ulink capability, how can I determine the user id of the current user after session time out?

Thanks in advance.

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Default Re: A5ws_GetCurrentUser() and Session Time Out Behavior

The user is logged in for the period listed in the Security Settings for login expiration. The default (and suggested) policy is to expire the login when the session expires. When the user login has expired, a5ws_GetCurrentUser() will return a blank value as no one is logged in.

Real Name
    Dion McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBrightbill View Post
    The user is logged in for the period listed in the Security Settings for login expiration. The default (and suggested) policy is to expire the login when the session expires. When the user login has expired, a5ws_GetCurrentUser() will return a blank value as no one is logged in.
    Thanks for the fast response. I actually have the "Login Expiration Policy" set to "Expires when the user closes their browser". I am enclosing a screen shot of the current security settings.
    5-11-2013 10-05-58 PM.jpg

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

They was a bug in that process in some early V12 builds. If you are using the latest V12 build, that should be working and the user should be found. However, that process relies on a tracking cookie on the client computer, so if cookies are off on that browser, the expiration policy will always be by session

Real Name
    Dion McCormick

Thanks for the clarification. I am going to update my solution based upon your input!