Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

*.WebProjects Folder Not Getting Pulled Into Desktop Shadow Folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*.WebProjects Folder Not Getting Pulled Into Desktop Shadow Folder

I have recently added a web component to my desktop application. It is a fairly simple embedded grid (embedded into a desktop form). It works well when run from my developer copy of A5 v11. However, this embedded web component does not work when I use the runtime installed on a workstation (networked to a share drive, using network optimization). I am using the latest version of the developer and runtime versions of A5. Actually, the embedded web component form will work with the runtime version if I give the runtime access to the WebProjects folder - by either copying the WebProjects folder into the shadow drive (on the local workstation) or by pointing the runtime to my application (.adb file) on the server, where the WebProjects folder resides.

The only thing that I can think I may have done wrong is not publishing a web component before using the latest update for the developer version. I may have published my first web component after I ran the updated version. In any case, I have since re-updated with the latest patch and it still does not push/pull the WebProjects folder into the shadow folder. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try next? I guess I could always go 'shadowless'... that is, configure all the desktops in our office to run the application directly from the central server. Thanks in advance...

Jim

Re: *.WebProjects Folder Not Getting Pulled Into Desktop Shadow Folder

There is an option to include the web files In the build, Jim.
    Can't show you where as I am a long way from my desk.
    Try creating a Rtime pack and make sure the web stuff is included.
    You may need to point the app at the folder with the grid in it.
    I' ll try and send an example Thursday if you are still struggling.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Thanks Ted. Sounds like you probably nailed it. I never would have considered the run-time pack to be the issue. I give it a try and post the results back here.

Jim

Comment

In past builds, the copy of the webprojects folder into the shadow on shadow-creation was forgotten: it did not work. In relation to my research around WCD technology I have reported this issue with Selwyn and he repaired it swiftly. The newest builds available in the pre-release section have the repaired code and WILL copy the webprojects folder correctly when you create a shadow.

Comment

Well, I have made a new installation package of my application files using the latest production-ready build of A5 v11. In making this new intallation package I selected for inclusion most of the files that reside in my .WebProjects folder. I have also installed the new build of the run-time on all the desktops in our office. Before I install this new version of my app on our network share drive I have a couple questions:

1. In the .WebProjects folder are some subfolders named _backup.backup and _Undo.undo. Should I have included these files when I made my new installation package?

2. After I make my new installation package, yet before I install it, users will likely add new data to the old database file. How do I recover this interval data to my new installation folder (the folder to which my new application files will be installed). I assume that I need to copy some data files from the old installation folder. Which files from the old installation folder do I need to copy to my new installation folder? Just the obvious .dbf files? The .adb file? I know this is pretty basic, but this is my first app and I never got a real handle on this important issue. This transition makes me nervous.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

I just found this info:

To copy the database design (without data), select all files except:
            .ASX - A temporary file containing the indexing information generated by a query against a set
            .DBF - Table data
            .CDX - Table indexes
            .FPT - Memo field data, which may include text or graphics
            .MPX - A temporary file containing the indexing information generated by a query against a table
            .MUF - Temporary files that Alpha Five creates to control the number of people who can concurrently open a database.

Therefore, to copy just the data from my old version to the new version, do I copy only those files listed above?

Jim

Comment

You have a problem with transient data.
              If I was doing this, and to be absolutely sure that I got it right, I'd probably do something like this;
              Backup current.
              Install new in a different folder with an empty dbf.
              Import data from current.
              Rebuild indices.
              Test the results.
              Post new Icon on users desktops to point to the new instance.
              Mothball (zip) old folder content.
              See our Hybrid Option here;
              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Well, in your first post you spoke about creating a shadow, whilst in your later post you speak about creating a new installation package of your application. That are completely different things.
                Besides that, you speak about having installed the "latest production ready build" of Alpha Five. Be advised that this is NOT the same as the release I spoke about in my earlier response. The pre-release builds are not the same as the production builds. The latest production build does NOT include the repair for pulling the web projects folder into the shadow. For that you need a pre-release build since the repair on that bug is of far later date then the latest production build.

Comment

You have a problem with transient data.
                  If I was doing this, and to be absolutely sure that I got it right, I'd probably do something like this;
                  Backup current.
                  Install new in a different folder with an empty dbf.
                  Import data from current.
                  Rebuild indices.
                  Test the results.
                  Post new Icon on users desktops to point to the new instance.
                  Mothball (zip) old folder content.
                  Thanks, Ted. That's exactly what I ended up doing (at least up to and including, 'test the results'). It is working fine. Also, your suggestion to rebuild the install package and explicitly include the files in the .WebProject folder worked - these files are now pulled into the shadow folder upon 'shadow refresh' or upon a version change number for my application.

Marcel, thanks for your clarifications:

Well, in your first post you spoke about creating a shadow, whilst in your later post you speak about creating a new installation package of your application. That are completely different things.
                  You are right, Marcel. My initial question was about how to get the WebProject files (or folder) pulled into the shadow folder. To solve this problem, Ted's suggestion was to create a new installation package, but this time to indicate that the WebProject files were to be included. I had not done that on my first go-round. I am not even sure that option was present on the developer version that I initially used to make the installation package. In any case, instructing the install maker to include the files in the .WebProjects folder has worked.

you speak about having installed the "latest production ready build" of Alpha Five. Be advised that this is NOT the same as the release I spoke about in my earlier response.
                  You are right again. In fact, I intentionally used the 'hyper-specific' term, "latest production ready build", to distinguish it from the pre-release build. The build that I am now using is 3381/4096. It was released in March of this year. Now, it is entirely possible that my ADD was flaring up when I downloaded and patched my developer copy; I may have patched it with a pre-release build instead of a full-release build (or whatever its called). Please correct me if I am wrong.

The latest production build does NOT include the repair for pulling the web projects folder into the shadow.
                  I'm not sure what to say here. As you have likely read in my post already, my current build - which I suspect is a full-release build - seems to be working well in this regard (i.e. pulling .WebProject files into the shadow folder). I have tested it several times by making small changes to my web component then running the shadow copy and refreshing. Therefore, I don't think I am fooling myself. Anyway, I will be interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks for your help.

Jim
                  Last edited by drjgs200; 05-17-2013, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X