Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help with a report filter or maybe an append operation or another way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with a report filter or maybe an append operation or another way

Stan
    I'm sorry about those mistakes, but were made when I typed message
    I copied and pasted your examples and I still can't save the filter expression, it says:
    "Invalid report filter expression:'inlist2(alltrim(str(golferid)),var->vid)'

My entries copied and pasted here:

dim global vid as C

vid = crlf_to_comma(table.external_record_content_get("scores","alltrim(str(golferid))"))

inlist2(alltrim(str(golferid)),var->vid)

Any ideas where I am making a mistake?

Thanks
    Tony

Comment

For testing the logic.

In the interactive window copy and paste

dim global vid as C

arrow back up to the end of the line and use the enter key.

? vid

You should see

= ""

vid = crlf_to_comma(table.external_record_content_get("scores","alltrim(str(golferid))"))

You should see a list of all golferid values from the scores table.

Open the report in design mode and get to the place you enter the report filter.

Enter golferid, and you should see the golferid for the first record.

Enter alltrim(str(golferid)) and you should see the character equivalent of the golferid for the first record.

Erase that and enter vid, and you should see the same list you saw in the interactive.

Enter alltrim(str(golferid)) = "945", and you should see .T. or .F. depending on whether or not 945 is the golferid of the first record.

Enter inlist2(alltrim(str(golferid)),"945,946"), and you should see .T. or .F. depending on whether or not 945 is the golferid of the first record.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Stan
        Thanks for taking the time to help me and walk me thru solving this issue.
        I will be back in the office after lunch tomorrow and I will do what you suggested
        Thanks again
        Tony

Comment

I'll be out all day tomorrow but will check in tomorrow night.
          There can be only one.

Comment

Stan
            The interactive window worked as you said it should
            However, when I tried to work with my report, I would get error messages
            In case it makes a difference, the report I'm trying to use us based on a set and the "golferid" is in the child table

When I put this in the filter of the report based on the above mentioned set:

I get this error message:
            Error occurred parsing filter expression
            Unexpected internal Alpha Five error
            Please send the following:

Thanks again
            Tony
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey, Tony,

yes. The filter you're using is being applied ( or at least alpha is trying ) to the parent table in your set because you haven't told it (or us) otherwise.

You might try reversing the set design, making the one to many child the new parent, and linking 1:1 to the original parent, now child.

Quick review of the desktop user guide reports chapter, with emphasis on designing reports for 1:N sets might be helpful to you, also. There are some specific functions available for applying filters to linked child tables without disrupting the set linkages.

Comment

Tom
                Sorry I haven't replied sooner, we had a tournament this weekend and was busy running tourney and using Alpha Golf app
                I'll try changing my set design to get report working as you suggested.
                Thanks
                Tony

Comment

Stan and Tom

I created another set as Tom suggested. "Scores" as the parent and "Golfers" as the child with a one to one link.
                  I used the following as the filter for my report: inlist2(alltrim(str(golferid)),Var->vid)
                  Ran the report and received the error:

I get this error message:

This is the same error that I receive when running old report based on the Set with "Golfers" as the parent and "Scores" as the child (one to many).
                  I used the following filter in my report: inlist2(alltrim(str(Scores->Golferid)),Var->vid)
                  I get the same error message:

inlist2(alltrim(str(Scores->Golferid)),var->vid)

Both filters show to be valid in the expression window.

Any other ideas?
                  Thanks
                  Tony

Comment

Attach a sample database here.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Kiebert View Post
                      From your description I assumed you wanted to find a value in multiple fields. Now it sounds like you want to find find multiple values in multiple fields. May be you could describe further what you want to do.
                      Stan, Tom, you guys are mind readers I can tell from this and so many of your posts. But I've read this thread over and over, and I'm still back here with what Tim said...
                      John Michaels
                      "The only thing needed for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - great quote but probably not Sir Edmund Burke

Comment

See post 12.
                        There can be only one.

Comment

Just wanted to let the forum know that Stan was able to solve my problem and fix my report.

He added the variable to the OnPrintInIt event of the report and it works perfectly!!!

Thanks Stan, (and to all those that help) for going "above and beyond" to help others!

Tony

Comment

Tony,

Thanks for your comments and your private message It is always satisfying to have closure to a thread and a working solution.

I am still not entirely clear what was going on but the report filter was not seeing the "global" variable established in the interactive window. Once it was dimmed and assigned its value in the onprintinit the filter worked.
                            There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                            X