Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Error Message - 20 User Maximum Reached

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Error Message - 20 User Maximum Reached

Andrew,

No.
    I have a request in with A5 tech support for clarification (since last week) but I have not heard a peep yet.
    Very frustrating getting any help out of these guys.

Frank K.

Comment

What back end are you using to store your data?

Have you tried any of the suggestions in this post?
      Andrew

Comment

Data is stored on same Win 7 Pro PC as A5 WAS running on. It is in two folders that are shared to everyone in the office. Both shared drives are mapped on each user's PC. Data is in Foxpro 2.6 and MS Access format.

I have not tried any of the registry changes noted above as I'm pretty sure that Microsoft's 20 user limit is hard coded into the OS - I've tried numerous times (pre Alpha Five) to find a way to increase the limit but but I kept running into the same conclusion - that it could not be done. You yourself have also expressed doubt that the changes would work.

Previous attempts to find an answer to the 20 user problem have always resulted in "buy a server". But how many CALS do I need to buy? If I buy one for every employee who needs access to the data that's fine - there's only about 30 of us - what now if I want to give our customers access to certain data? Do I have to buy a bunch more CALS? How many? What if I want to have a link the general public can access?

I somehow assumed that making the data available via a web server would eliminate this problem. I mean I've never received a message from any website I've ever visited that the maximum number of users has been reached.

Thanks for listening.

Frank K

Comment

You have 30 employees which need to access data that is shared via two shared folders. Do all 30 employees need to access both folder shares or do some need access to folder A, some need access to folder B, and some need access to folder A and B?

Q. 1) What is the count of users who need access to folder A?
          Q. 2) What is the count of users who need access to folder B?
          Q. 3) what is the count of users who need access to folder A & B?

The answers to Q. 1 and Q. 2 should equal or be less than 30.

Q. 4)The data being shared via the two shares is 100% of it accessible via the A5 web app?

The 20 authenticated user limit for Windows 7 pro is hard coded and cannot be changed. The 20 TCP/IP connections is an arbitrary number and change be changed via the registry changes suggested above. In your situation you are not encountering the 20 TCP/IP connection limit (yet; it is possible once your current error is resolved you may bounce up against that as well). When the 20 TCP/IP connection limit is reached you will see a message reported at the client level along the lines of "host not reachable" or something to that effect.

Microsoft licensing is pain to understand. Talk to 3 different license vendors and you will get 3 different answers. Client access licenses (CAL) are issued either per user or per device. Depending on which way you go (user or device) you need 1 for each unit (user or device) in your organization. You will also need 1 for each unit for your business associates (i.e. sister companies). Your customers and general public are typically gonna be handled as anonymous connections (i.e. they do not authentic to the windows host) and do not need a CAL.

In your situation we are not at the point where you will need to be purchasing a Server OS and CALs. Alpha5 web server should be able to bypass that limit. We just need to find out why you hitting that limit.
          Last edited by aschone; 05-29-2013, 12:41 PM. Reason: failed to proof read
          Andrew

Comment

Well,

I may be out in neber, never land here, but:

Instead of having a user access by way of a shared drive letter like H:\something\something and you are using the web access server.... Why do you not let them access by way of the web???

In other words, http://168.168.168.10/138.135.126.11/etc. . do I make it understood? You have a web ip address and then you have a lan address. go out and come back to the server as anonymous?

I do not know if it will work, but taking waht was said and went on it. I do know I have access my alpha web app by way of the ip address on my own server before(but from another location).
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

To answer an earlier question, I *believe* most people get around this concurrent user limit by using a database backend (i.e. MySQL, SQL Server, etc), instead of shared file folders...

Comment

To answer an earlier question, I *believe* most people get around this concurrent user limit by using a database backend (i.e. MySQL, SQL Server, etc), instead of shared file folders...
                Not sure here, but alpha application is in a folder(s) on a server/ptop and the shares are going to count to that folder if by drive letter or normal direction as \\server\folder\index.**. If one were to go outside and back in, would the count still have a problem.

If you could use a linux server, it sure would be easier.

I put desktop data files on a linux and have no connection issues(so far). They don't seem to know where they are anyhow.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                  If you could use a linux server, it sure would be easier.
                  Linux (or Unix) is definitely the way to go!

Comment

Originally posted by jacobe View Post
                    Linux (or Unix) is definitely the way to go!
                    Yes - I thought so too and last December I ordered a Dell T310 server with VM Ware as main O/S on which a virtual Linux server (Suse) was installed - this was ordered though a local Linux "expert".
                    They ordered a bare box and installed the VM Ware and Linux themselves.
                    Got the box end of January - moved data files over, got all the users added, mapped new drives, etc, etc - started using it and realized data throughput was horrible - at about 1% of network capability.
                    A report that would run in 15 seconds pre-linux would now take 4 min 30 sec on the new linux server.
                    Asked the consultant look into it (at $120 / hr) and he managed to delete three previous days worth of data.
                    Fired him.
                    Luckily I had done a back up on the weekend so only one day was actually lost.
                    Four months later and we're still finding instances of missing data.

I would love to have gone this route but I just couldn't find anyone else to help so now I have this Dell T301 loaded with RAM, huge hard drives, etc sitting there.

Thats my sad / funny story.

Any Linux experts in Calgary, AB - i'd like to hear from you.

Frank K

Comment

Originally posted by pettechservices View Post
                      Yes, I agree this is the way to go.
                      It is, unfortunately, not an option for me though.

Frank K

Comment

Instead of having a user access by way of a shared drive letter like H:\something\something
                        Existing applications (Foxprow & Delphi) need mapped drives - ODBC thing I think

Why do you not let them access by way of the web???
                        I tried this and it works - I can point to our external IP address and it works the same way as pointing to intern IP address.

This may be a partial solution

Thanks

Frank K

Comment

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for taking so much time and trying to help.
                          I finally heard back from A5 tech support today and they confirmed that the App Server should be able to accept far more than the 20 connections that MS limits.
                          They didn't have any explanation for what was happening nor did they have a solution but at least I know now if I keep plugging away at this and get everything moved over to a web based system I will achieve what I'm after.

Thanks again.
                          Frank K

Comment

Frank,

Just a thought::: Why don't you take that server you bought and place windows server on it? Forget Linux and VMware? That or find someone that knows Linux, hardware and VMware.

It looks like VMware is a layer on Linux where you can place whatever ox u feel is best.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                              Frank,

Just a thought::: Why don't you take that server you bought and place windows server on it?
                              Sad / Funny Story Part 2.

So I did exactly that - downloaded evaluation version of Windows Server 2012 Essential and hired an "expert" to work with me getting it set up.
                              We installed it as a virtual server under VMWare as well.
                              Everything appeared fine until we did the speed test and again data transfer was far slower than what was expected.
                              Consultant took the server away with him to work on at his facility.
                              He never did figure out what the problem was so he got rid of the VMWare and just installed the Win Server 2012 as the main OS.
                              I finally got the server back - about three months later - after having to get a bit cranky with him.

So I start it up earlier this week and my "standard" administrator doesn't work - asked him what password he used - he can't remember.

His advice is to re-install the server OS.

I guess I'll have to.

Frank K.

Comment

lotta help huh...

Found out a long time ago to do it myself. Most of the experts know less about my problem than I do. They sure don't care about my time.
                                Dave Mason
                                [email protected]
                                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                                X