Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Grid on Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grid on Desktop

I have sucessfully experimented with putting my first grid component on a desktop along with a embedded browse which allows me to look at completly different data.

I am totally new to grid components and I know enough to make myself dangerous but I wanted to ask a question before i dive into this. It looks like I can have a browse in view mode to create one to one links and create the grid. I would like to replace an embedded browse that is based on a set which has 2 one to many links that allows calculations such as a counting the number of records in the child and allows me to display several browses on a form to display the one to many links. Ultimately, then if possible, I would like to display a main grid and have 2 other grids linked to show the one to many relationship of each item as it selected on the same form. Is this possible as the grids seem separate?

Re: Grid on Desktop

I don't understand what you are asking. But if you want to use grids that are linked together, you can. Think row expanders and linked content. Look under grid properties. Also you might want to watch some of the v10 videos.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter, thanks. I have been using alpha from dos days and I have never tried the web portion. I needed to display an unrelated browse on the same form so I did it with an embedded grid which I could not do with an embedded browse. I was thrilled to try something new. I want to try to replace some of my other embedded browses with grids. On a normal form, all the browses have to come from the set its based on. I noticed that the grids cannot be based on a set but on a one table and other one to one relationships. I have a set which has two one to many relationships and I want to create a form with three grids to see the data. I am going to watch the videos. This is very new territory and I have no idea what is possible or is it worthwhile to switch some of these over. One of the forms I want to replace is �ber slow as it has many color formulas and calc fields in the embedded browse. I thought to recreate it with grids and see the difference. As I said though I wanted the user to select a record in a grid and the other two grids update to show the one to many data based on the record selected. Thanks.

Comment

John,

Row expanders and linked content are typically 1 to many, like sets.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Hi John.

In addition to the valuable answers of Peter, the following:

You can use web components within a desktop application in several ways. What you did is use a web component (grid) on a form. This means the programmatic environment still is the "form". That sets its own boundaries and methods of use.

Another way of doing it is completely leave the forms and go "WCD" (Web Components Desktop). WCD Technology uses no longer "forms" as environment hence is a totally different, more contemporary, animal. Forms will need a base like a table or a set, whereas a web component can be based upon a table and needs no sets anymore. The functionality of the set is created by using row extenders and/or linked content like Peter already mentioned.

I have been playing around with both methods for quite some time already, and of course depending on what you need within your application, I would say that WCD definitely is a great approach for new applications.

Comment

Thanks for that. I guess having used forms for way too many years has kept me bound to the method. Can you display 3 "linked" grids together in the same window whereby if you select a record in "the primary grid", the other two grids would respond and show you their records based on a field in the record selected from the "primary grid". I understand the accordian style or expanding row, but I want to see them all together as one. The more I look at grids, the more I am confused it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by johngtatp View Post
              Can you display 3 "linked" grids together in the same window whereby if you select a record in "the primary grid", the other two grids would respond and show you their records based on a field in the record selected from the "primary grid".
              Like I said, it's just like a set. Row-expanders appear in tabs (if you have more than one). Linked content can display however you want. I have some where a half-dozen linked grids all appear together on a single page. I think Steve Wood has a web site with 40 linked grids - or at least it used to.
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks Peter, just a clarification. The linked grids are together on a form for desktop or in another manner? I am so new at this and I apologize for the basicness of this question. I have an urgent need in my desktop to do this and I wanted to go in whatever direction I need to make this happen quickly.

Comment

Let's say you want 5 linked grids to appear together. Create your 5 grids. Go to the properties of the parent grid and select linked content. Follow the prompts to add the 4 other grids. Then click on "Edit freeform edit region" and add the linked content markers to where you want them to appear. If you want grids in the row expanders, you can add them there too (in the parent grid). It works just like a set.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply... I am off to try it and learn.

Comment

This is getting interesting... With a linked table, can you refer to it for a calculation, i.e. I want to count the number of child records given a condition in those records.

I use:

existrcarreqnum = if(Rcardetail->Status="Requested",1,0)
                      existrcarreq = total(calc->existrcarreqnum,grp->res_detail,grp->rcardetail)

with a form and am able to set a value to a calc field then I total them and I can use this to change colors of a field or use the count. Because the tables are linked can you reference them in this way? I am still not sure how to rethink this way of doing things. Thanks Much.

Comment

Well, I would like to renew this thread: I'm in the same situation.
                        I wrote 2 desk apps but I'm really frustrated about misbehaviours of embedded browses, so I would try to migrate them to embedded grids.
                        It could be a good starting point for newbies trying to create an hybrid desk-web application.
                        Marcel already tryed to set up such a thread but it was quickly hijacked by others and then dropped.
                        I hope in a better luck here.
                        So I start with 2 questions:
                        1- is it possible to use an embedded grid as a main level browse? I got that the "link" propriety of emb.grid just works from the form towards the grid, but I need to reverse it, selecting grid row to make the form displaying the corresponding record
                        2- can I quickly associate xbasic functions or scripts to row events? (a classic: row double click). I have only found a way to shoot a javascript, but I have all the code written in xBasic...
                        Really thanks to anyone will help!

Comment

I'm sure Marcel, as the (ex)-resident WCD expert could answer, but of course he can't. I think both are possible. I think I once saw a video that addressed #1, as for #2, although there is no OnRowDblClick event there is a JavaScript onRowSelect where you could use an Ajax callback to run a function.
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

You can try to ask Marcel here;
                            http://forum.alphadevnet.com/

Comment

THX guys...
                              I've just realized.. banned? he doesn't seem a bad guy..
                              Anyhow, I will try to contact him.
                              Anyhow (2), it would be nice to keep this thread alive, there are really few information about WCD

Comment

Working...
                              X