Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

AWS on Zebrahost and MySQL on Amazon Web Services RDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AWS on Zebrahost and MySQL on Amazon Web Services RDS

Anyone else using the AWS RDS?

I moved my db to AWS and changed the connection string information to match the new db but I'm having trouble. When I publish my security settings, it does not seem like it is publishing to the new db.

Is there something I am missing? I am using MySQL to manage my user security.

Re: AWS on Zebrahost and MySQL on Amazon Web Services RDS

I guess my question is, will my application work if the WAS is on one server and the DB is on a separate server? Please say yes!!

Comment

My WAS is on one server and my DB is on a separate server......both are hosted by Zebrahost. Have had no issues

Comment

Greg,

When you publish your security settings, do you publish to the server with WAS or with the DB? Just curious.

Comment

Jose

I publish the security settings to the server with the WAS using the internal publish features in Alpha. I have created tables in the MySQL database that holds the security data (since there are about 5,000 members who access this system with many user groups) using a white paper Alpha made available awhile back. I will search and see if I can find a link for you.

During peak times, we add 3 hyper-V servers with a load balancer.....all hitting the same DB server....works great

Comment

Thanks Greg,

I did the same thing with the setting up the tables in mysql (I think I have that white paper). I must be doing something wrong.. As soon as I changed my connection string info I lost the ability to log in to the application. I check the db and the security records are there.

I'll go back and look at my setup.

Thanks!

Comment

Have you tried republishing the entire project AND restarting the application server?

Comment

I've tried restarting the server, re-publishing everything, going through the steps in the white paper to use sql tables in web security and nothing.

The records are in the database, I can modify user information (like password) in the web security menu and it gets changed in the database. I just cannot log into the application...

I'm beginning to pull my hair out... anyone have any suggestions? grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, AWS apparently does not seem to care what I put for my 'Localhost' AlphaDAO Connection string....

I went back and restored the mysql db that was running on the zebrahost server with AWS WITHOUT changing the AlphaDAO connection string (which is setup to connect to Amazon) and tada! I can log back into my application - but the problem is that it is NOT using the connection string I setup.

If AWS is not using the connection string I setup in 'Tools' -> 'AlphaDAO Connection Strings' then when is it getting it from?

This is very frustrating...

Comment

I'm stuck on this... all I wanted to do was change my connection string and now I cannot even log into my application.

I've tried re-doing all of the steps covered in the white paper showing how to Use SQL Tables in Web Security, which I've used successfully before, but now it does not work.

What is really bothering me is that this should be a simple affair and setting up security with SQL should not be such an ordeal. The second paragraph in this white paper states, "Alpha is currently preparing an automated process to create the SQL tables and corresponding active link tables." Well Alpha??? Its been a while and nothing. I'm at a standstill because of this. When will this be addressed?

So I am guessing that if I cannot figure this out I will have to pay for a 'service ticket' to get this resolved?

This gets me thinking about the value of being a subscriber. I don't have problem with the change in how I pay for Alpha or how much, but what I do have a problem is the lack of support and missing features that I consider pretty basic - like managing web security in a SQL database without having to rely on undated white papers with unfulfilled promises or handling authentication on mobile devices that is more appropriate for small screens.

If I'm going to pay more, then you can expect that I will be less forgiving. I am already having to hire a developer to create a separate application that works in offline mode for mobile devices because Alpha does not have that functionality. If I am going to be expected to pay somewhere around $1,500-$2,000 range a year for Alpha then I expect more. $1,500-$2,000 a year adds up and it shortens the payback period for just having a custom application developed at the outset and makes the prospect more justifiable from an economic standpoint.

I'm pretty chapped right now and this my venting and feedback to Alpha. I would greatly appreciate some help on this.

Comment

Jose,

I just thought of what might be tripping you up. Go to your PROFILE for the project and click the "Named AlphaDAO connection strings" area

1.PNG

Then check make sure your named connection strings in this area match the ip address of your DB server (along with user name and password)

2.PNG

Once you do that, publish your whole site again ....hopefully that will do the trick

Greg

Comment

I went and checked and everything is correct. What I don't understand is every time I go through the steps in the white paper to setup the active link tables I end up with the same problem - once the table is setup and I open it to confirm I see the same record x number of times. The x matches the number of records that are in the sql table. Why does it show the same record over and over again instead of actually showing me the records?

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Comment

I guess I can only upload 5 images at a time...

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

Comment

Let me say that changing your database connection has been a nightmare and has wreaked havoc on my application.

My original problem seemed to go away after several attempts to reboot and re-publishing of the entire application.

Even after I went into the PROFILE and changed my Named AlphaDAO connection string (as Greg mentioned in post #11, thank you Greg!) Alpha continues to want to use the old DB connection string, which does not even exist anymore!

With my application having over 150 components, its has been a ridiculous task of having to go into all of my components and all of the related dropdowns, lookups, etc.. that use the old connection string to change it.

I am beyond disappointed that Alpha would make this such a pain to do. What is the point of modifying the Named AlphaDAO Connection String in the PROFILE if all of the components ignore it anyway????

Alpha,

This is not as much a complaint as it is emphatic feedback on something that needs to be addressed. Because as I've mentioned before, if I will be expected to pay for Alpha on an ongoing basis I will have very little tolerance for features that take me way from focusing on my application to spend time on what should be pretty basic functionality. Seriously, it should not be such a pain to change a database connection string.

Comment

Originally posted by josevelez View Post
                              Let me say that changing your database connection has been a nightmare and has wreaked havoc on my application.

My original problem seemed to go away after several attempts to reboot and re-publishing of the entire application.

Even after I went into the PROFILE and changed my Named AlphaDAO connection string (as Greg mentioned in post #11, thank you Greg!) Alpha continues to want to use the old DB connection string, which does not even exist anymore!

With my application having over 150 components, its has been a ridiculous task of having to go into all of my components and all of the related dropdowns, lookups, etc.. that use the old connection string to change it.

I am beyond disappointed that Alpha would make this such a pain to do. What is the point of modifying the Named AlphaDAO Connection String in the PROFILE if all of the components ignore it anyway????

Alpha,

This is not as much a complaint as it is emphatic feedback on something that needs to be addressed. Because as I've mentioned before, if I will be expected to pay for Alpha on an ongoing basis I will have very little tolerance for features that take me way from focusing on my application to spend time on what should be pretty basic functionality. Seriously, it should not be such a pain to change a database connection string.
                              Yup, still going through and modifying all of my grids to change the database connection... Thanks Alpha!!

Comment

Working...
                              X